John Allen Muhammad execution set for Nov. 10, should there be a Stay? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #46
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 01:12 AM
The death penalty is the biggest travesty in the justice system today, and one of the worst things about the United States. It's ineffective, costly, inhumane, and has on numerous occasions been used to kill people innocent of the crimes they were charged with.
__________________

__________________
phillyfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 24,904
Local Time: 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
The death penalty is the biggest travesty in the justice system today, and one of the worst things about the United States. It's ineffective, costly, inhumane, and has on numerous occasions been used to kill people innocent of the crimes they were charged with.
i wouldn't say it's ineffective. i heard it works like a charm. if only they'd bring back public hangings. to help with the costs, they could sell tickets to the event, maybe have some entertainment afterwards. as long as the evildoers get what's coming.
__________________

__________________
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #48
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
i wouldn't say it's ineffective. i heard it works like a charm. if only they'd bring back public hangings. to help with the costs, they could sell tickets to the event, maybe have some entertainment afterwards. as long as the evildoers get what's coming.
Your tongue in cheek aside, do you really think it works? Based on what, please? I've been researching in criminology for too many years now, and have never once seen any empirical or otherwise supporting data for the death penalty.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict
 
RedRocksU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murrieta, CA.
Posts: 26,437
Local Time: 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
if we kill off every psychofuck in this world, how are we going to learn to treat them, learn the causes and prevent them in the future, and progress as a society? or is that not the goal here?
Cure them? There is no way to cure them. Learn to treat them? Has this worked so far all these years? No, it has not.

I know I'm in the minority here and that is fine, but I would gladly be the one that pulls the trigger on these monsters.
__________________
RedRocksU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict
 
RedRocksU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murrieta, CA.
Posts: 26,437
Local Time: 11:12 PM
Jarratt, Virginia (CNN) -- -- Washington-area sniper John Allen Muhammad, 48, was executed Tuesday by lethal injection, a Virginia prisons spokesman said.
__________________
RedRocksU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
Jarratt, Virginia (CNN) -- -- Washington-area sniper John Allen Muhammad, 48, was executed Tuesday by lethal injection, a Virginia prisons spokesman said.
i would hate to him be right now..
__________________
diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
Cure them? There is no way to cure them. Learn to treat them? Has this worked so far all these years? No, it has not.
There is no way to cure them? How can you be so sure? Are you a doctor? Are you familiar at all with psychosis, or the chemical imbalances that attribute to it? What leads to it, what neurotransmitters are inhibited, or what medications can be used? Hmm...there is absolutely no reasoning or logic behind your "There is no way to treat them." Your response is based on anger, nothing scientific or rational.

Was this guy ever institutionalized? How can you say "has it worked for years" when he was just thrown in jail? Or do you happen to know the results of his psychological evaluation and medication?

His crimes were heinous and horrible. I'm not arguing that. I was in the community affected and I'm not at all downplaying how terrifying it was to be there.

I want to share this with you. Here's an exerpt from his psychological evaluation:

Quote:
A psychiatric evaluation obtained by his lawyers determined that despite an “ability to sometimes show a superficial
brightness,” Muhammad did not have “a reasonable degree of rational understanding.” The psychiatrist concluded that
he “was not competent to stand trial,” that his “ability to make decisions and understand the proceedings was impaired,”
and that his “judgment and ability to think logically were severely compromised.” Magnetic Resonance Imaging revealed
that John Muhammad’s brain had serious abnormalities, including a shrunken cortex, indicating a loss of brain tissue
likely to have been caused by a severe injury to the head. Another abnormality found in his brain is sometimes associated
with schizophrenia, and two experts retained concluded that Muhammad probably suffered from this serious mental
illness. This opinion was consistent with indications that John Muhammad suffered from delusional and bizarre thinking.
Other testing indicated that he had severe cognitive impairments.
Because John Muhammad refused to be interviewed by the prosecution’s psychiatrist, however, the trial judge ruled that
no expert testimony could be introduced, greatly reducing the defence lawyers” ability to protect Muhammad from the
death penalty. They had built a mitigation case based around the testimony of a mental health expert. Among other
things, according to Muhammad’s appeal lawyers, his relatives and others had provided the expert with “heart-wrenching
stories of the abuse and neglect Muhammad suffered as a child - beatings with hoses and electrical cords, denial of food,
clothing and basic necessities, and suffering on a scale difficult to imagine.” Mental health experts have linked this abuse
with John Muhammad’s brain dysfunction.


I cannot find any information that he was treated/medicated for any of this. The U.S. just executed a man with severe mental impairment and brain dysfunction who wasn't even fit to stand trial. He wasn't born a monster, Carlos. Nobody is.
__________________
unico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 07:12 PM
whereas i'm sure those five years in jail were perfectly enjoyable.
__________________
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,251
Local Time: 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
make weed legal?
No. Points for the gigantic leap, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
what religion are you again?
And that's relevant because...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Did you know it costs the government over $2 million more to have a prisoner executed than to have them serve a life sentence?
First off, it's not the injection itself that attributes to the extra cost, it's the much more thorough (and deservedly so) legal process.
Second, I can't speak for others, but I'd actually gladly have my taxes slightly raised to help support the DP costs.
Third, whatever the average number is ($2 mil or whatever), that's a tiny fraction compared to what it costs to even build a prison, forget about running it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
How do some of you deal with the glaring contradictions of your moral teachings? Is it just towing the party line or pure bloodlust?
Excuse me? Is it possibly for you to deliver a post absent of a personal attack, because I rarely see one from you. "Bloodlust?" Not quite, BVS. So get off it. My "moral teachings" seem to suit me and my opinions just fine as far as the concepts of justice and personal responsibility go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
i think the death penalty is great. i'm all about getting revenge on those sons of bitches, as long as it's done in a humane, tastful way.
Lethal injection isn't humane? What would you prefer? Electric chair? Firing squad? Guillotine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
Your tongue in cheek aside, do you really think it works? Based on what, please? I've been researching in criminology for too many years now, and have never once seen any empirical or otherwise supporting data for the death penalty.
I'm a CJ major myself, and while I don't refute this, I've seen little evidence that life without parole does much dettering either. The DP does, though, irrefutably reduce recidivism and overcrowding.

But hey, I know I'm a bad guy for caring more about the victims' families (who overwhelmingly seem to support the DP) than the criminal who did such-and-such to a family or families. In situations of mass killings or sensational crimes with scientific evidence to back it up, the DP simply must be used. I don't buy the whole "He'll suffer more in prison because he'll think about it everyday" nonsense...
__________________
2861U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post

But hey, I know I'm a bad guy for caring more about the victims' families (who overwhelmingly seem to support the DP) than the criminal who did such-and-such to a family or families. In situations of mass killings or sensational crimes with scientific evidence to back it up, the DP simply must be used. I don't buy the whole "He'll suffer more in prison because he'll think about it everyday" nonsense...
You think we don't care about the families? It happened in my neighborhood ffs. If you don't mind, could you please post the info about victims' families overwhelmingly support the DP?

And I agree the "suffer more in prison" is BS. If people with psychosis are not given the proper counseling and medication, they aren't going to learn a thing.

Why is rehabilitation overlooked in this system? There's plenty of medical research to back it up. We are a society loaded with drugs, and there are plenty of pharmaceuticals who would love to increase their profits, I'm sure. So why not medicate the criminals? I've known plenty of people who have been in and out of prison, and not once have they been prescribed medication. I don't know for sure if that is common or not, but it sure seems like it to me.
__________________
unico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 07:12 PM
would you also gladly have your taxes raised in support of healthcare, or roading?
__________________
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
would you also gladly have your taxes raised in support of healthcare, or roading?
What do you mean by roading?
__________________
unico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,284
Local Time: 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post

I know I'm in the minority here and that is fine, but I would gladly be the one that pulls the trigger on these monsters.
I think that's very honest of you.

I'm personally opposed to the DP because I would never be able to pull the trigger myself, and if my moral compass tells me that it's wrong then I think it would be wrong to expect somebody to do it on my behalf.
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict
 
RedRocksU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murrieta, CA.
Posts: 26,437
Local Time: 11:12 PM
I keep on editing my replies to you Mia. Good points however on your part.
I wonder what would be your solution for these people.
__________________
RedRocksU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
What do you mean by roading?
i don't know, i was just looking for a lazy example to follow up healthcare with.

this would be much easier if i wasn't posting on my phone. as in i was replying to 2681u2 but was skimping on the quoting because it's hard on the phone.
__________________

__________________
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mathematically Ranking U2's Albums... namkcuR Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 26 08-22-2006 11:11 AM
U2: A Revisionist History (1980-2006) LMP Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 18 05-18-2006 07:17 AM
Clayton Hints of New Direction on Next Record dismantle Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 135 10-31-2005 06:48 PM
$150 for 25 songs? iota Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 216 11-26-2004 04:37 AM
Survivor Results! DaveC Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 34 02-26-2004 11:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com