John Allen Muhammad execution set for Nov. 10, should there be a Stay? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,689
Local Time: 06:00 PM
See, you aren't as black and white as you try to come off...

Murder is murder.
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:16 AM   #17
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 07:00 PM
Yeah, just kill those that make it to death row. That's kind of black and white.
__________________

__________________
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:21 AM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,689
Local Time: 06:00 PM
But you said 1 death, so I was assuming every murder you want executed.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:26 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 07:00 PM
so is there anyone here that believes in the death penalty and thinks this guy doesnt deserve it? Or is this a now a pro/anti death sentence conversation?
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #20
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
But you said 1 death, so I was assuming every murder you want executed.
I was assuming you realized I meant based on their conviction. I don't want any murders executed though, or otherwise carried out.
__________________
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #21
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 06:00 PM
i don't believe in the death penalty. so i suppose it's best that i stay out of this.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #22
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
i don't believe in the death penalty. so i suppose it's best that i stay out of this.
Nonsense, we just need a death penalty thread.
__________________
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,496
Local Time: 07:00 PM
i see nothing to be gained by the death penalty. there is no use for it.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:32 AM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,689
Local Time: 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
I was assuming you realized I meant based on their conviction.
A pre-meditated murder is murder, that man who shot his daughter's rapist is not always going to get acquitted. I was assuming you realized that.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:36 AM   #25
War Child
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlisle PA
Posts: 818
Local Time: 07:00 PM
Fine, give him probation, it's still not likely to be a capital case.
__________________
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #26
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
so is there anyone here that believes in the death penalty and thinks this guy doesnt deserve it? Or is this a now a pro/anti death sentence conversation?
How can it be anything but a death penalty discussion? You either support it or you don't. You either support every single individual's right to life, or you don't. Gaol is full of people who don't support every individual's right to life. Here is one more who doesn't adamantly support a fellow person's right to their life. And before any smartarse on here assumes this is implying there is a similarity or connection between supporters of the death penalty and those who commit murder, save your breath. You simply share a belief that sometimes it's OK for people to die from human choices. It's just applied in different circumstances. It's a view I find abhorrent. What is life if you do not endeavour to everything always to protect it? That's a rhetorical, by the way. I've got no sympathy for criminals. Their life and right to it will never be my choice to meddle in. It's a choice I severely doubt mankind's ability to make, generally.

Anyway, this is way off topic. I don't see how you can discuss the sentence of one man without it being about all men and women on death row.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:43 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
How can it be anything but a death penalty discussion? You either support it or you don't. You either support every single individual's right to life, or you don't. Gaol is full of people who don't support every individual's right to life. Here is one more who doesn't adamantly support a fellow person's right to their life. And before any smartarse on here assumes this is implying there is a similarity or connection between supporters of the death penalty and those who commit murder, save your breath. You simply share a belief that sometimes it's OK for people to die from human choices. It's just applied in different circumstances. It's a view I find abhorrent. What is life if you do not endeavour to everything always to protect it? That's a rhetorical, by the way. I've got no sympathy for criminals. Their life and right to it will never be my choice to meddle in. It's a choice I severely doubt mankind's ability to make, generally.

Anyway, this is way off topic. I don't see how you can discuss the sentence of one man without it being about all men and women on death row.
Well there was this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
I'm not sure if he deserves the death penalty. I'd like to see him serve a life sentence where he could live with the agony of his guilt. That is, if he has any.
It sort of implies that in this case perhaps the death sentence isnt appropriate. The first few posts in the thread implied that there might be others who shared this view. I was intrigued as to what their reasoning may be, but the conversation quickly turned to another direction. As a matter of fact, the thread title includes the question "should there be a stay?", further implying there could be reasons that this man in particular should not be executed . In that sense, I do see how we can discuss the sentence of one man without it being about all men and women on death row. I also think it would make for a more interesting conversation than the typical anti/pro death sentence arguments/soap box, masturbatory drivel that cant possibly go anywhere
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:08 AM   #28
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 476
Local Time: 08:00 PM
The only thing I find unique about this execution, and the final appeal to the US Supreme Court, is the fact that each member of the Court has a level of personal experience in the case. That is, in most cases the members of the Court are hearing cases in a detached almost abstract manner. Not here. Since they all live, work, and have family in the metro DC area, each of them surely experienced the personal terror of simply being outside, in a public space, while this savage was on the loose killing people at random for weeks. I'm not surprised to hear that they were not sympathetic to his appeal.
__________________
Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:13 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict
 
RedRocksU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murrieta, CA.
Posts: 26,437
Local Time: 05:00 PM
Fuck him.

Ask the victim's relatives how they feel about him.
__________________
RedRocksU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,496
Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
Fuck him.

Ask the victim's relatives how they feel about him.


with all due respect, justice isn't about making the families of victims feel better, or about allowing them to exact whatever revenge they see fit.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mathematically Ranking U2's Albums... namkcuR Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 26 08-22-2006 11:11 AM
U2: A Revisionist History (1980-2006) LMP Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 18 05-18-2006 07:17 AM
Clayton Hints of New Direction on Next Record dismantle Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 135 10-31-2005 06:48 PM
$150 for 25 songs? iota Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 216 11-26-2004 04:37 AM
Survivor Results! DaveC Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 34 02-26-2004 11:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com