Joe Hates Fags - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #106
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:45 PM
when we talk about "liberating" people from "oppression," is this what we mean?

Quote:
Iraqi Gays Face Gruesome Torture/ Murder Technique
By: DOUG IRELAND
04/30/2009

Yanar Mohammed, a leading Iraqi feminist leader, played the critical role in keeping the gruesome new torture/murder technique to light.
As the murder campaign targeting Iraqi gays intensifies, a leading Arabic television network last week revealed the use of a horrifying new form of lethal torture against Iraqi gay men - anti-gay Shiite death squads are sealing their anuses with a powerful glue, then inducing diarrhea, which leads to a painful and agonizing death. The use of this stomach-turning new torture was first reported by the Al Arabiya network, which is headquartered in the United Arab Emirates and was alerted to the story by a leading Iraqi feminist and human rights activist.

Yanar Mohammed, president of the Organization of Women's Freedom in Iraq (OWFI), told Al Arabiya that the torture substance "is an Iranian-manufactured glue that, if applied to the skin, sticks to it and can only be removed by surgery. After they glue the anuses of homosexuals, they give them a drink that causes diarrhea. Since the anus is closed, the diarrhea causes death. Videos of this form of torture are being distributed on mobile telephones in Iraq."

Al Arabiya said its reporter confirmed the use of this anal torture by "visiting the Baghdad morgue in Bab-al-Moazaam in central Baghdad, where Neman Mohsen, the medical examiner, confirmed they have the bodies of seven homosexuals in the morgue. He said, 'We were not able to identify the culprits, who dumped the bodies in front of the morgue and fled without being seen.'" A two-person team from Human Rights Watch (HRW) currently in Iraq to investigate persecution of LGBT people has also confirmed the use of this form of torture. In a widely-circulated email from Iraq, the head of HRW's LGBT desk, Scott Long, said he and his colleague had gathered evidence which confirms the Al Arabiya report and that HRW would make its own detailed report after the organization's two staffers return to the United States next week.

OWFI's Mohammed, the woman responsible for gathering information about the use of this sadistic anal torture and passing it on to Al Arabiya, told Gay City News that "the story was so horrific that when I first heard it from gay friends I didn't believe it. But then I investigated and found it was really true that the anuses of gay men were being glued shut." Speaking by telephone from Toronto, where she was on a brief visit to relatives before a scheduled return to Iraq next week, Mohammed told this reporter that, "Fortunately, Al Arabiya has a very good human rights reporter, to whom I told what I had found, and he was able to confirm it by visiting the morgue."

She said that "many older women in my organization were quite opposed to taking up the question of the persecution of homosexuals and didn't understand why it was important. But I firmly believe that misogyny and homophobia are two sides of the same coin, and that we had a duty to speak out against the persecution of gays in Iraq, which is so little known that I was surprised by the extent of it when I began to look into it."

Mohammed, 49, is well known for her courageous human rights work. She co-founded OWFI in Baghdad in June 2003 in the wake of the U.S. invasion and occupation, and the organization has led campaigns against so-called honor killings, the abduction of women, and trafficking in women and children. She also co-founded Iraq's first feminist newspaper, Al Mousawat (Equality), which has been published quarterly for the last three years. Trained as an architect, Mohammed told Gay City News she has abandoned that profession to work full time for OWFI. She has received numerous awards for her work for women's rights and human rights, including the Eleanor Roosevelt Global Rights Award given by the US Feminist Majority Foundation.

Ali Hili, the 33-year-old gay Iraqi exile who coordinates the association Iraqi LGBT, which is headquartered in London but has members and informants throughout Iraq, told Gay City News that he has also been able to confirm the use of lethal anal torture. "We have had reports, increasingly over the last four or five days, about the use of this technique not just in Baghdad but in smaller town and cities all over Iraq," Hili said by telephone. "We have reports on seven young men who have been through this horrible experience in which they were arrested in the south of Iraq and had their anuses sealed, or 'locked' as the torturers say. Our sources told us that hospitals all over Iraq's southern region have received so many cases of similar incidents where men have had their anuses glued, but that what makes the situation even worse and more lethal is that they have been refused treatment in hospitals when they sought it because of homophobia."

As of this week, Hili and Iraqi LGBT have documented 617 cases of assassinations of LGBT people since a death-to-all-gays fatwa was issued by Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, the spiritual leader of all Shiite muslims in Iraq, in 2005. The murder campaign of "sexual cleansing" of homosexuals has intensified in recent months, with 70 new killings since December alone (see this reporter's April 16-29 article, "Iraqi Gay Murders Surge; World Finally Takes Note").

Now, Hili says, "I have just received word of seven new murders of gays in one week, last week." He provided Gay City News with the names and towns of origin of the most recent victims of the anti-gay-death squads. They are Abbas Mosa, 33, from Al Hay; Saeed Majeed, 27, from Al Samawa; Jabar Khothayer, 19, from Al Dewaniya; Majed Alawi, 41, from Al Hindiya; Hazim Hussein, age unknown, from Al Najaf; Mohammed Qasim, 25, from Al Dewaniya; and Rama Sabri, 19, from Al Mohanawiya.

At the same time, the Iraqi news website niqash.org reported last week that "Al-Baghdadiya, a satellite television channel based in Cairo... broadcast a report on April 7 saying that 20 young men accused of homosexuality were taken to Ibn al-Nafis hospital in Baghdad with mutilated genitals."

Hili told Gay City News that much of the most recent wave of assassinations appears to be the work of the Mahdi Army, the militia led by fundamentalist Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr. He said that one of Iraqi LGBT's informants "is connected to high-ranking religious within the Mahdi Army, and he has been told of a campaign to target anyone who is suspected of being gay." Increasingly, Hili said, leaflets and "Wanted" posters are appearing with lists of men targeted to be killed for what are called "crimes against morality," meaning homosexuality. A list of Iraqi LGBT members to be eliminated is also circulating, Hili said, and he's been told his own name is at the top of this list.

Hili also said that pharmacists have been reporting to the police about male customers who were regularly buying female hormones and cosmetic creams. In one such recent instance, two of these supposed transgendered men were arrested and taken to an unknown location, and have not been heard from since.

i wonder how Joe The Plumber feels?

Old 05-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #107
Refugee

Local Time: 08:45 PM
I don't know how he feels. But, I think it is horrible. It makes me sick to think that a human being could do this to another.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #108
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
how else am i supposed to react to a quote where he says that he wants to keep his children away from me?

if that isn't hate, i don't know what is.
Irvine, there is a lady in my neighborhood. Who gives countless hours to coaching children's softball teams, soccer teams, etc. She does all of this for free and out of the goodness of her heart. She is openly gay. Everyone knows and no one cares. She is wonderful with children.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
Irvine, there is a lady in my neighborhood. Who gives countless hours to coaching children's softball teams, soccer teams, etc. She does all of this for free and out of the goodness of her heart. She is openly gay. Everyone knows and no one cares. She is wonderful with children.

and this is how gays achieve equality -- by acting and being equal to their straight friends and neighbors.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #110
Refugee

Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Quote:
and this is how gays achieve equality -- by acting and being equal to their straight friends and neighbors.
I recentley found out my tennis teacher was gay. didnt change anything for me.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #111
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:45 PM
Quote:
Here's the (English) text version of the Al Arabiya story: http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2009/04/25/71416.html

The one note of hope--if I can call it that--that I might find in this story lies in that a major network like Al Arabiya picked it up. One shocking story isn't going to provoke radical change, but it could become part of a growing process of media attention there to the reality of extraordinarily cruel 'vigilante' persecution of gays, which over time might in turn open people's eyes to the inherent brutality in the social system itself vis-à-vis gay people, in something like the way the disturbing footage of violence against black people peacefully organizing for their rights awakened so many here back in the 60s. Iraqi society is basically still quite traditional and conservative, significant progress on gay rights elsewhere has historically followed significant progress on women's rights, and they're really not there yet either, although well ahead of some of their neighbors. (The Ba'athists formally rejected criminalization of homosexuality, but there was never a concerted attempt to change popular attitudes, and eventually, even under Ba'athist rule, it wound up being criminalized anyway in concession.)

But this story is definitely going to be shocking to most sensibilities, not just because of the status of the groups doing this and what their free rein says about conditions in Iraq, but also because of its utter depravity. Even in a society where extemely severe punishments of 'offenses against public morality' are widely approved of, the repulsively obsessive nature of this 'method' of execution, the participatory vengefulness clearly driving it, is deeply offensive to the belief that justice, however harsh, is to be delivered impartially and by the legitimate authorities.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:58 AM   #112
Refugee

Quote:
Irvine. Sorry, if you misunderstood. I did not mean to offend you.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:28 AM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:45 PM
gays are everywhere
it is getting as bad as the illegal alien problem
Old 05-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Quote:
What the fuck is wrong with people? I mean seriously. I mean, you're sitting home, dead tired after a long day of cutting off baby girls' clitorises, and you think "you know what we could do to those gays? We could glue their anuses shut and then give them diarrhea."

Wow, executing Saddam has done wonders for Iraq. Bravo, Dubya.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Instead we got signs and speaches about immigration, racial slurs against the president, homophobia, etc...
You realize that any signs like that accounted for probably one-half of one percent of everyone there, right? I certainly didn't see any where I was.

And I hope you feel that same way about the vile signs we've seen at protests over the last 8 years, things like:

"Fire KKKarl Rove"

"Terrorist and Murderer"

"Osama Bin Bush is in the White House"

"Another 4 years of terrorism"

"Bush is more evil than Bin Laden"

"World's #1 Terrorist"

"Bush = Hitler"

And of course, my personal favorite...

Old 05-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #116
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:45 PM
I agree there are quacks on both sides, and protests will bring out the quacks. But the overall message of anti-war protest were known. The Tea Parties, it was not. For even the legitimate speakers at the tea parties had mixed signals and no unifying agenda. I heard speakers here at the Texas tea party talk about sucession, I posted video in the other thread where local politicians were talking about immigration, the one I went to(with Glen Beck) had people talking about everything from Abortion to gay marriage. There was no sense of message or that these people had any clue as to what the alternative to stimulus was...

I asked in the tea party thread and you know what I got? One person was so informed they just made up all these new taxes that have not occured, others ignored, and only one person attempted to answer what the alternative would be, and he is by far more conservative than you fiscally and even he admitted that bail outs were necessary.

You guys just came off as disingenuous. I would have believed in your conviction if you had protested Bush spending and bailouts, but you didn't. I would have believed in your conviction if you actually engaged into conversations as to what the alternatives were, but you didn't. You decided to protest the same exact thing Bush was doing, only when "the liberals" took over. It would have been just as hypocritical if Clinton had waged major wars, but folks only started protesting when Bush got into office...
Old 05-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #117
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
What the fuck is wrong with people? I mean seriously. I mean, you're sitting home, dead tired after a long day of cutting off baby girls' clitorises, and you think "you know what we could do to those gays? We could glue their anuses shut and then give them diarrhea."

Wow, executing Saddam has done wonders for Iraq. Bravo, Dubya.
As if that didn't happen while Saddam was still there.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:45 AM
The fact that the US government will not make gay rights an issue because of domestic political liability is a fucking outrage.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #119
She's the One

Local Time: 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
The fact that the US government will not make gay rights an issue because of domestic political liability is a fucking outrage.

Things will change; they already are changing.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
As if that didn't happen while Saddam was still there.
Well yeah, I'm sure it did...but apparently the great wave of liberation and reform that was supposed to sweep over Iraq didn't turn out as planned.