Jilted Ex-Boyfriend Puts Up Abortion Billboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Can we please stick to the topic of free speech and privacy and emotional distress and not rehash all of the same abortion debate and discussion? (maybe in that case no one will reply). I guess if you pay the billboard company doesn't care? Or they thought it was free speech protected.

Jilted ex-boyfriend puts up abortion billboard

ALAMOGORDO, N.M. (AP) — A New Mexico man's decision to lash out with a billboard ad saying his ex-girlfriend had an abortion against his wishes has touched off a legal debate over free speech and privacy rights.

The sign on Alamogordo's main thoroughfare shows 35-year-old Greg Fultz holding the outline of an infant. The text reads, "This Would Have Been A Picture Of My 2-Month Old Baby If The Mother Had Decided To Not KILL Our Child!"

Fultz's ex-girlfriend has taken him to court for harassment and violation of privacy. A domestic court official has recommended the billboard be removed.

But Fultz's attorney argues the order violates his client's free speech rights.

"As distasteful and offensive as the sign may be to some, for over 200 years in this country the First Amendment protects distasteful and offensive speech," Todd Holmes said.

The woman's friends say she had a miscarriage, not an abortion, according to a report in the Albuquerque Journal.

Holmes disputes that, saying his case is based on the accuracy of his client's statement.

"My argument is: What Fultz said is the truth," Holmes said.

The woman's lawyer said she had not discussed the pregnancy with her client. But for Ellen Jessen, whether her client had a miscarriage or an abortion is not the point. The central issue is her client's privacy and the fact that the billboard has caused severe emotional distress, Jessen said.

"Her private life is not a matter of public interest," she told the Alamogordo Daily News.

Jessen says her client's ex-boyfriend has crossed the line.

"Nobody is stopping him from talking about father's rights. ... but a person can't invade someone's private life."

For his part, Holmes invoked the U.S. Supreme Court decision from earlier this year concerning the Westboro Baptist Church, which is known for its anti-gay protests at military funerals and other high-profile events. He believes the high court's decision to allow the protests, as hurtful as they are, is grounds for his client to put up the abortion billboard.

"Very unpopular offensive speech," he told the Alamogordo Daily News. "The Supreme Court, in an 8 to 1 decision, said that is protected speech."

Holmes says he is going to fight the order to remove the billboard through a District Court appeal.

I think this is more of a privacy issue than a free speech issue.

IF she had an abortion HIPAA laws I think would make it illegal for anyone to divulge that information except for that person. IF she didn't then it's libel.

I think she should take out her own Billboard with his picture tell everyone he has a small penis and then post his cell phone number. :D

I agree, it's a privacy issue. IMO an abortion is a medical procedure. Not saying I agree w/ it or that he doesn't have a right to be angry but to me it always has been and always will be a medical procedure.

I agree, it's a privacy issue. IMO an abortion is a medical procedure.

that's it.

btw, i also feel the same way about the girl i saw one time in Boston putting up fliers with a guy's face on it along with the claim that he gave her herpes.

I agree, it's a privacy issue. IMO an abortion is a medical procedure. Not saying I agree w/ it or that he doesn't have a right to be angry but to me it always has been and always will be a medical procedure.

And to other people, it's not.

(You opened the door...)

As far as the issue at hand, however, I'm pretty much guessing they're not getting back together.

The definition of a medical procedure is a procedure employed by medical practitioners. I think it would be how the law regards it, not how any individual or group of other people does. In this case.

you could argue that it's not only a medical procedure, but can you argue that it isn't one?

There's no question that it's a medical procedure. The question is whether it's simply a medical procedure.

MrsSpringsteen made it clear that this isn't another thread devoted to the abortion debate, and I'm fine with that. But if someone's going to state an opinion that it's a medical procedure, another person's going to post an opposing opinion. Which sends us back into the ring of fire. So maybe we should all agree not to post opinions on the definition of the procedure in question. Unless it's not possible.

As far as the question of free speech is concerned -- if this is one dude being obnoxious, that's one thing. If this is sponsored by a non-profit or organization, does that make it something different?

Abortion Billboard Lands New Mexico Man In Court With Ex-Girlfriend - ABC News

It was heard in domestic violence court-so whether or not it's a medical procedure would have no bearing on that. He's 35 and I read somewhere that she's 18 but I haven't been able to verify that. He allegedly isn't even sure if she had an abortion. Yeah, I can see why he was jilted.

"Last week, Otero County Domestic Violence Court hearing commissioner Darrell Brantley recommended an order of protection for Lawrence and that the billboard be removed by 8:14 a.m. on June 17 on the grounds of harassment.

Judge James W. Counts is expected to approve these recommendations, but his office says they cannot comment on pending cases."

So he's also using it to advertise his business? Classy :up:

"The original billboard had two endorsements that have since been removed. The first was from N.A.N.I., an organization Fultz created for pro-life issues that stands for National Association for Needed Information. The acronym also happens to be his ex-girlfriend's first name.

After a few weeks, Fultz removed N.A.N.I. due to the controversy distracting people from the intended message, he says.

A pro-life organization called Right to Life New Mexico had also originally endorsed Fultz's billboard and given their permission for him to use their logo. However, they pulled their endorsement when they discovered that Fultz was unsure whether Lawrence had an abortion or miscarriage.

The billboard cost $1,300, paid for by Fultz with the help of donations. Fultz says that the donations came from various individuals who heard about his plan, not from any businesses or other pro-life or organizations. The GEFNET endorsement on the billboard is from Fultz's own business. "

And to other people, it's not.

(You opened the door...)

LOL, other people.... :rolleyes: Yes, I'm sure I'm the first one that's suggested that a medical procedure is privileged under HIPAA and should remain private. Go me. Do you think "other people" should be able to ring up my Dr's and find out how many abortions I've had?

I guess she's 20

This is from a letter he wrote to the New Mexico legislature

I'm 35 years old and have always wanted to have a family i.e. a child and for whatever reason I've never been able to achieve that dream up until last year when my then girlfriend got pregnant. I had finally conceived a child and i was more thrilled then the girlfriend. it was fine for a short time but then things went wrong we had separated and the dream was short lived the pregnancy was terminated I'm not sure how it was terminated weather it be a natural miscarriage or intentional termination. that remains unclear as she refuses to speak on the matter and from her actions and behavior leading up to the point i believe that she intentionally terminated the pregnancy either by abortion or other means. Which brings me to my request; I'd like to get a bill created in honor of my baby (Baby Fultz) for all fathers. My idea is to get a bill introduced that gives biological fathers equal rights as to the welfare and decisions being made of the unborn child with exceptions to those of rape and incest and other means of illegal fatherhood.

From a post written in her name on a baby forum

Me and my bf are expecting, and we're excited but it took me coaxing. At first, I was concerned about how I would be able to take care of my child. Let me explain....when I was 7, I went into a coma, and it left me with many 'issues'. I lose my balance easily, I am paralyzed on the left side of the face, and it is hard to understanernd me sometimes. But the most concerning thing of all, I have severe tremors. I will have surgery to try to correct this when I'm 21, but by the time I give birth I'll only be 20. Not to mention the fact that I have been hurt so many times due to my weight that the idea of extra is unbearable. My bf is 15 years older than me and has been told he could never have children. So, of course he always wanted to keep it. It was so unplanned and I'm so unprepared(and I'm against abortion unless you've been raped) that the first thing I thought was 'I'll give it up for adoption.' But his want for a kid compelled him to talk me into it. But after talking to my parents, I've gone back to my initial concerns. If you knew me, you'd know it kills me to do anything that might PO or hurt someone's feelings. How do I bring it up?

LOL, other people.... :rolleyes: Yes, I'm sure I'm the first one that's suggested that a medical procedure is privileged under HIPAA and should remain private. Go me. Do you think "other people" should be able to ring up my Dr's and find out how many abortions I've had?

Not at all. Wasn't sure what point you were making; thanks for clarifying.

He's 35, she's 19, she has medical issues, he can't spell, she seems deeply concerned about her own welfare as well as the baby's, he seems spiteful, he got the billboard. Hm.

ALAMOGORDO, N.M. (AP) —

For his part, Holmes invoked the U.S. Supreme Court decision from earlier this year concerning the Westboro Baptist Church, which is known for its anti-gay protests at military funerals and other high-profile events. He believes the high court's decision to allow the protests, as hurtful as they are, is grounds for his client to put up the abortion billboard.

When you cite the devil's own as your back-up, you have a problem.

I think he did a creepy, creepy thing and he should be a social pariah; but I don't know that a private individual not part of a "covered entity" is legally bound by HIPAA.

but I don't know that a private individual not part of a "covered entity" is legally bound by HIPAA.

I don't know either but once you splash it all over a billboard you aren't a private individual anymore. He put his picture on it. Of course that's common sense that the law doesn't always have anything to do with.

Back
Top Bottom