JFK: WHAT RESONANCE Does He HAVE to People 40 YEARS Old and YOUNGER? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #46
Refugee

Location: The Mighty Jagrafess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxaroedenfoe
Local Time: 12:46 AM
Do you think that Lee Harvey Oswald really was his murderer? Do you think he was used as a pawn by the FBI who detested JFK's withdrawal rom Vietnam? Do you think the Kennedy's were responsible for the death of Marilyn Monroe? Don't you think that Jackie Kennedy looks like Ali? Do you really think JFK was that good looking?

Old 12-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Annie View Post
Do you think that Lee Harvey Oswald really was his murderer? Do you think he was used as a pawn by the FBI who detested JFK's withdrawal rom Vietnam? Do you think the Kennedy's were responsible for the death of Marilyn Monroe? Don't you think that Jackie Kennedy looks like Ali? Do you really think JFK was that good looking?

I think Lee Harvey Oswald was the only one who fired the shot that
killed JFK.

The other? I don't know.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:46 PM
Hard to believe that just 50 years ago the country's leading liberal was comfortable with the use of American power overseas, was anti-abortion, cut income taxes on the rich, fought labor union corruption, named a Republican businessman as his Secretary of the Treasury, was unabashedly patriotic and, gasp!!, believed in American Exceptionalism.

Hard to believe.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier

And Goldwater looks like Lincoln compared to every GOP candidate since 1996.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Hard to believe that just 50 years ago the country's leading liberal was comfortable with the use of American power overseas, was anti-abortion, cut income taxes on the rich, fought labor union corruption, named a Republican businessman as his Secretary of the Treasury, was unabashedly patriotic and, gasp!!, believed in American Exceptionalism.

Hard to believe.
Oh come on.

Today this country's leading liberal is comfortable with the use of American power overseas (see Libya as Exhibit A, rubbing out Bin Laden as Exhibit B), is friendly enough with the wealthy to piss off and disappoint his own base, and had a Republican as his secretary of defense (and one of the Republican candidates as part of his administration), is unabashedly patriotic and, gasp!! believes in American Exceptionalism.

Hard to believe, I know.

Okay, maybe he's not anti-abortion, but then I'm pretty sure Kennedy had little to say about abortion since it wasn't an issue during his presidency so your supposition that he was "anti-abortion" his solely based on his faith.

As far as fifty years ago. . .fifty years ago I couldn't eat at the same lunch counter as you, and my marriage (to a woman) was illegal in many states and could have gotten me killed in more than a few. So you can keep your rosy "Fifty Years Ago" nostalgia.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #51
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

This glaring blindness Indy's posts make it hard to take him seriously.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Oh come on.

Today this country's leading liberal is comfortable with the use of American power overseas (see Libya as Exhibit A, rubbing out Bin Laden as Exhibit B), is friendly enough with the wealthy to piss off and disappoint his own base, and had a Republican as his secretary of defense (and one of the Republican candidates as part of his administration), is unabashedly patriotic and, gasp!! believes in American Exceptionalism.
We will have to wait for history to write the final chapters on this president's foreign policy but compare the Berlin speeches of JFK, Reagan and Obama and you'll understand how this president sees the United States' role on the world stage differently than his predecessors.

"I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism."
-Barack Obama

I'm sorry but saying all countries are exceptional is the same thing as saying none are.

Quote:
As far as fifty years ago. . .fifty years ago I couldn't eat at the same lunch counter as you, and my marriage (to a woman) was illegal in many states and could have gotten me killed in more than a few. So you can keep your rosy "Fifty Years Ago" nostalgia.
I'm not pining nostalgic, I'm stating facts. To which I could add this:

50 years ago the nation's leading liberal worried about the constitutionality and unintended consequences of an expansion of federal power over private enterprise in proposed civil rights legislation. Namely Title VII, which mandated the prosecution of discrimination by private employers. (This is what led conservatives like Barry Goldwater to vote against the 1964 Civil Rights Bill by the way) This provision was not added to the Civil Rights Bill until after Kennedy's assassination.

Arguably such an expansion of government power was necessary to break the stranglehold that Jim Crow laws had in the South but clearly, as feared, there have been many unintended consequences; quotas, racial set-asides, affirmative action beyond what could have been imagined in 1964, identity politics, and a new emphasis on group rights rather than individual rights.
Not to mention a federal government that, 50 years later, doesn't even consider the constitutionality of new laws, mandates and regulations on private businesses.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #53
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500
I'm sorry but saying all countries are exceptional is the same thing as saying none are.
Why the extraordinary sensitivity to this notion of American exceptionalism? Is it so fragile that it wilts away if it isn't waved around in everyone's face constantly?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

"I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism."
-Barack Obama

He wasn't saying that all countries are exceptional, he was saying that citizens of other countries think that their country is exceptional the way that Americans think the USA is.

Which, incidentally, is not true. The rest of us aren't that full of ourselves.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I wouldn't defend American exceptionalism, as defined by the Left, either.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
The rest of us aren't that full of ourselves

but that's because Jesus doesn't live in silly cold no navy Canada; he lives in Indiana.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post

As for President Kennedy the whole Kennedy thing is something I've just grown up with, because of where I was born and still live. Sure they've been idealized, including the President. It does seem like it was a far less cynical time in this country. But compared to now maybe every time would.

JFK Jr was very relevant to me RIP I dreamed of meeting him but of course that never happened.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:46 AM
Ha, almost straight after reading this thread, this article popped up in my Twitter feed...

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollytics...xceptionalism/
Old 12-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
And Goldwater looks like Lincoln compared to every GOP candidate since 1996.

From what I have read, JFK was not ready or willing to expand American military
involement in Vietnam. He was acting with caution.

After his death, President Johnson was the opposite. He went along easy with
the military and expanded the U.S. commitment and sent a few thousand young Americans to their death for a lost cause.

Looking back, it might have ended sooner if Barry Goldwater had won that election.