January 20, 2009--Inauguration Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kinda funny that they messed up the oath. Still an awesome moment. And a great day for America.

I thought he would have practiced this 100 times in the bathroom mirror,

no doubt some A M talk host, will play it over and over how he did not want to say "faithfully uphold the constitution."

Was a good speech, i just hope he can deliver. How did it compare to previous speeches ?

Kinda funny that they messed up the oath.

I thought he would have practiced this 100 times in the bathroom mirror,

no doubt some A M talk host, will play it over and over how he did not want to say "faithfully uphold the constitution."

Did you notice how differently the justice who administered the oath to Biden read it? He chopped it up into short and easily repeatable sections. He also read it out in a distinct and stately cadence. That guy is a pro. The one that administered it to Obama didn't. He rushed it and cut it into longish, awkward sections. I thought he came off as kind of surly...at the very least not very commanding like the other Justice was. Maybe he's mad at Obama for voting against his Supreme Court nomination. I imagine there's no love lost between them.

That was a great poem by Elizabeth Alexander. I'm not too familiar with her work, but she was a great choice, and I'm so glad Obama chose to have a poet as part of his inauguration, since not all presidents have.

Did you notice how differently the justice who administered the oath to Biden read it? He chopped it up into short and easily repeatable sections. He also read it out in a distinct and stately cadence. That guy is a pro. The one that administered it to Obama didn't. He rushed it and cut it into longish, awkward sections. I thought he came off as kind of surly...at the very least not very commanding like the other Justice was. Maybe he's mad at Obama for voting against his Supreme Court nomination. I imagine there's no love lost between them.

I have some respect for Roberts
I did not watch Biden's, yet.

Now, Alito, I have very little respect for. He is petty.

Obama met with all Justices a couple of days ago. Alito stood him up.

.Not all justices appear at the get-acquainted session: Absent is Samuel A. Alito Jr., who has voiced lingering anger over Senate Democrats who opposed his confirmation in 2006

Thus, Alito proves those that voted against him, got it right.

That was a great poem by Elizabeth Alexander. I'm not too familiar with her work, but she was a great choice, and I'm so glad Obama chose to have a poet as part of his inauguration, since not all presidents have.

I was wondering if you'd be popping in to offer commentary on the poem. ;)

Top speech. One of the best. Great moment for our country. Let's hope we can turn the tides of time to favour the peace and health of humanity.

Well funny and amusing when he stuttered whilst taking his oath. And glad he wasn't hesitant to say his full name with the "Hussain" part.

EDIT: I'm hearing that it wasn't Obama's fault he stuttered.

Wow, I thought the very same thing but didn't want to say anything about it. It was as if he deliberately tried to trip Obama up.

Sour grapes make me rather puckery...

Oh man, I keep expecting them to announce a hymn to sing, or for them to pass around communion.

I saw the oath slip-up differently; I saw as this man who has been seemingly completely calm and cool and collected for the last two years(at least publically) finally, at least just for one second, showing a few nerves about what he was about to do, the job he was about to undertake, and the responsibilities about to be bestowed upon him.

Picture the scene:

1,000,000 + People standing infront of you.
Biggest moment of your life
Potentially billions watching at home

Will you have nerves ?

I wouldnt get out of bed for less than 5,000,000 ...

I was wondering if you'd be popping in to offer commentary on the poem. ;)

You know how I roll :wink:

I'm still too overwhelmed by the rest to really comment much. Obama's speech was amazing, and I'm looking forward to reading it and watching it again. I knew I'd be really emotional, so I went ahead and DVRed the ceremony. I'm glad I did, because I cried through his entire oath of office :reject:

Apparently it was Justice Roberts that screwed the oath up...he put the word faithfully in the wrong place, Obama knew Roberts had said it wrong, and that's what caused the confusion.

Yeah, I just heard them mention that on CNN.

Nice to see the four folks waiting for the send-off sharing a laugh.

Bye, George and Laura. Enjoy the rest of your lives.

Aw, hugs all around! That's nice.

They're saying that on CNN, now.

It really is not a big deal.

Except, I do expect some A M talk hosts to try and exploit it.

(they are a desperate, lot.)

I saw the oath slip-up differently; I saw as this man who has been seemingly completely calm and cool and collected for the last two years(at least publically) finally, at least just for one second, showing a few nerves about what he was about to do, the job he was about to undertake, and the responsibilities about to be bestowed upon him.

And that's why the guy administering the oath needs to do what the one with Biden did -- short sections in a clear, slowish cadence. He made it easy to repeat, even with a case of nerves. Roberts didn't. He only cut it up into about three or four sections and rushed through it which made it much harder to follow.

Apparently it was Justice Roberts that screwed the oath up...he put the word faithfully in the wrong place, Obama knew Roberts had said it wrong, and it that's what caused the confusion.

Yeah, that would be a problem too. :)

Back
Top Bottom