January 20, 2009--Inauguration Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2hdr8cl.jpg

I have been waiting 8 very long years to see a photo captioned like this.

Well considering he's just getting to work in the office today is it any surprise that it's neat? Give him a week or two, it'll clutter ;)

My dad has a paperweight that says "A cluttered desk is a sign of genius" and it is usually covered in stuff...:lol:

:yippie: I'm a mega-genius :yippie: :happy:

Great letter joyful! :applaud:

Did you notice how differently the justice who administered the oath to Biden read it? He chopped it up into short and easily repeatable sections. He also read it out in a distinct and stately cadence. That guy is a pro. The one that administered it to Obama didn't. He rushed it and cut it into longish, awkward sections. I thought he came off as kind of surly...at the very least not very commanding like the other Justice was. Maybe he's mad at Obama for voting against his Supreme Court nomination. I imagine there's no love lost between them.

yeah, really!

I've heard the oath administered enough times that as soon as I heard the out of place "faithfullly' i went "whaaaa"?

It's crazy. I'm still kind of afraid that I'll wake up tomorrow morning and this will have been a dream. These past 8 years have seemed endless, and the fact that it's over, and that Bush can no longer steer this country down the disastrous path we've been on since then, seems too good to be true. But it is, and when the reality of this day sinks in, it's going to be awesome.

my sib I fianlly made it to the mall in time......

I kept turning to her.....

"it's true", it's really true !!!

as tho we were reading a"fairy Tale" say where the heroes come out through a tunnel, over a hill and there is the 'better place" they'ed all been slogging forward towards!

I just heard on CNN Obama took the oath again today because heand the pastor both said it wrong. They recorded it and took still pics.

Not transparent enough apparently.

What?

Is this in response to taking the oath again? Legally he had to, the justice didn't say it correctly...

According to the legal expert on NPR today, only two other presidents have had to do the oath twice...
One was because he had his father swear him in and he wasn't sure if it needed to be a federal justice so he did it again.

They said that Obama had to do it again just for precautionary reasons.

Yeah because otherwise before you know it diamond will be posting links to lawsuits and rush limbaugh blogs claiming he's not really the President because it wasn't done properly.....

The President was clearly peeved when Biden made that crack about Justice Roberts. I think he's going to have more than one instance of that. Lock him in the closet like Lynne Cheney :wink:

I thought it was hilarious. I was over at my grandparents for dinner last night, and we all busted out laughing when they showed the soundbite on the news. It's one of the reasons I love Joe Biden. He's not afraid to call people out on their bullshit, like being enough of an arrogant douche to think that you'll go ahead and administer the Presidential Oath without notes when you've never done it before. It really wasn't even that much of an insult, and I really hope that aspect of Biden doesn't get muzzled while he's VP.

Well I don't think he wants Biden making any of his 7 11 type jokes, or calling any African American politicians " bright and clean and articulate". That's politics, it's PC (or on the better flip side trying to be decent and kind) for certain reasons sometimes and people do get muzzled. That's part of the game, good or bad.

Maybe Justice Roberts just messed up because of the enormity of the occasion, etc. And people just make mistakes. I just don't see any reason for Biden to make a public crack about it :shrug: Biden could start to look like an arrogant douche.

^I see your point, for sure especially about some of Joe's more infamous cracks. I forgot about some of them, so thanks for the reminder. However, I'm not giving Justice Roberts a pass on screwing up on something as huge as the Oath of Office. If he's nervous that's understandable. He's in front of 2 million people, and it's his first time administering it. If he would have used notes and then stumbled over something, I'd be more understanding. But when he's arrogant enough to go up there and wing it, that's not so understandable anymore.

Yeah that was bad judgement on his side because the constitution is very specific about what needs to be said, it's not like a speech where a few words can be moved about...

That was my problem. Obviously the oath doesn't legally make the new president officially the president (Chris Wallace, I'm looking your way, dumbass), but it's clearly very important and needs to be said correctly. Then again, Roberts is a pick of the Bush administration, so I guess my expectations were too high.:lol:

ETA: Just for sheer awesomeness. This cracked me up last night, especially the FOX clips and Jon's reaction. It doesn't have anything to do with the oath screw-up, but it's still hilarious.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=216550&title=Inauguration-Media-Coverage

It's the WH and I just think President Obama is trying to set a certain tone from the start. I like the way he rolls, I like his temperament.

Biden can't be the Biden of old in public, that's just the way it's going to be with Obama as his boss.

Ha! I love it. FAUX News doesn't get to be in the front row in the briefing room.:lol: Enjoy your rapid decline, Sean Hannity!:wave: And we have a press secretary that actually answers reporters' questions.:ohmy:

Why is Chuck Todd asking questions about re-signing executive orders and why there's no video of the re-taking of the oath?:huh:

I just want to know about this stimulus stuff. We're supposed to be getting a lot more than last year.

I'm in Glasgow, Scotland and i watched the inauguration live&felt very moved - it was a fantastic speech&i'm so very happy Obama won&that Bush has gone :madspit: everyone over here hated him!

It's so great to have a likeable guy in the white house and it does look as though he's really gonna try&stick to his promises :up:

What a great day for the world this was :)

Back
Top Bottom