both you and Michelle
I edited

I knew it came out wrong!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
It was fought to gain American independence of dictatorship-like monarchy and establish a democracy. Last I checked, Obama was still elected by the people, his term is still finite, and there are still checks and balances in place.
I made a mistake and should have referred to the Constitutional Convention, not the Revolutionary War (although that still has something to do with it)

The President was intended to be seen as merely a man of the people who had a job to do. The Presidency, while necessarily holding some authoritative power, was not supposed to be viewed as the be-all-end-all of power in the United States (as a King would be), and should not be outwardly displaying said power in an attempt to impress the people (as a King would do). George Washington jumped in a carriage and drove to Federal Hall and immediately started working after swearing the oath. John Adams did the same. Thomas Jefferson walked from his house to the White House with his family and stopped to chat with the people along the way. This whole week-long festival with bands (from Ireland!) and parades and massive pompous ceremonies is exactly NOT what the Framers intended when they created the office. This whole thing smacks of a coronation.

Be happy the guy won, sure. Maybe have a party (the inaugurational ball). But this is excessive.

ETA: And this is all before even mentioning the deification of Obama himself.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:07 AM
Rahm waves good-bye to Cheney.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #94
War Child

Local Time: 10:07 AM
If there's ever a day to be optimistic. It's today.

Let's hope this sparks this rather mediocre decade into one of the very best.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
I made a mistake and should have referred to the Constitutional Convention, not the Revolutionary War (although that still has something to do with it)

The President was intended to be seen as merely a man of the people who had a job to do. The Presidency, while necessarily holding some authoritative power, was not supposed to be viewed as the be-all-end-all of power in the United States (as a King would be), and should not be outwardly displaying said power in an attempt to impress the people (as a King would do). George Washington jumped in a carriage and drove to Federal Hall and immediately started working after swearing the oath. John Adams did the same. Thomas Jefferson walked from his house to the White House with his family and stopped to chat with the people along the way. This whole week-long festival with bands (from Ireland!) and parades and massive pompous ceremonies is exactly NOT what the Framers intended when they created the office. This whole thing smacks of a coronation.

Be happy the guy won, sure. Maybe have a party (the inaugurational ball). But this is excessive.

I understand your point, but the President the framers knew went out the window in 1933.

You're also missing a key point that has created all the hype...it's not a matter of power or coronation, it's the fact that we are part of/witnessing history. We have gone from a slave nation (my ancestors owned slaves) to a nation with an African-American President. That is why there is all the seemingly excessive pomp and circumstance, because we have come SO far as a nation, and we can continue to go far.

But you're right, the presidency is not what the framers intended, but it is also a very different world that we live in.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #96
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Quote:
This isn't an inauguration. This whole spectacle is the exact kind of thing the Revolutionary War was fought to eliminate.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:07 AM
Quote:
George Washington jumped in a carriage and drove to Federal Hall and immediately started working after swearing the oath. John Adams did the same. Thomas Jefferson walked from his house to the White House with his family and stopped to chat with the people along the way. This whole week-long festival with bands (from Ireland!) and parades and massive pompous ceremonies is exactly NOT what the Framers intended when they created the office.

I'm pretty sure the Rolling Stones played Brown Sugar at Jefferson's inauguration.

Can we get 2 million people into that inaugural ball?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #98
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Quote:

Did these celebrations somehow give him more executive power?

What the hell am I missing?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #99
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardyharhar View Post
I'm pretty sure the Rolling Stones played Brown Sugar at Jefferson's inauguration

George Washington was a huge fan of "Beggar's Banquet", too.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

DaveC, this inaguration would not be such a spectacle if millions of people didn't show up. No one was forced to go, heck you didn't even need a ticket. This was for the people, by the people. What exactly would you liked to have seen? Police baracades not letting anyone but a few elite people into the crowd?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #101
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh man, I Luke Russert.

ETA: Lindsey Graham is like a real-life Willie Stark.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #102
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Do they allow wheelchairs in prison?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #103
Refugee

Local Time: 02:07 PM
It was an incredible and incredibly moving speech.

I saw a screen message while watching the news this morning that it was written by Jon Favreau...from Swingers to Iron Man to words of history????

So yeah, different guy lol.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #104
ONE
love, blood, life

Great speech! I'm happy I was able to witness such history in the making.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #105
Blue Crack Distributor

Come on, Dave. Yes, it's a bit much, but like other posters have said, all the concerts and balls and pomp isn't going to give him any more executive power than any other president. Look at the parties back in the 80's when Reagan was in power - that era was the definition of excess. This is a historic moment, that some people have been waiting their entire lives to witness. Give us a break.