January 20, 2009--Inauguration Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was kind of surreal earlier today when they were showing footage of George and Laura going to the helicopter and then the plane, and the overlays said, 'Fmr President Bush...'. I've been waiting for that for so long.

It was kind of surreal earlier today when they were showing footage of George and Laura going to the helicopter and then the plane, and the overlays said, 'Fmr President Bush...'. I've been waiting for that for so long.

It's crazy. I'm still kind of afraid that I'll wake up tomorrow morning and this will have been a dream. These past 8 years have seemed endless, and the fact that it's over, and that Bush can no longer steer this country down the disastrous path we've been on since then, seems too good to be true. But it is, and when the reality of this day sinks in, it's going to be awesome.

P.S. Is this the longest inaugural parade ever?:lol:

Sasha and Melia are so cute.

I often wonder if those girls have really fully understood what it is their father has been doing for the last two years, what he has accomplished in the last few months, the historical significance of it, and what he's about to do. I just wonder if they really 'get' it all.

This is one of the coolest days I have witnessed. I felt my patriotism return today. I felt so proud of my country, seeing those millions of people on the Washington Mall, waving their flags, cheering for our first African-American president. Truly an astonishing moment.

I think Sasha probably understands, but Melia is only 7, so she is probably a little confused.

i am so, so tired. we walked from NoVA and back, finally finding a place somewhere near the washington monument, and it was amazing to be there. the speech was captivating, you could hear a pin drop for the duration.

maybe i'll post a pic or two later.

i have no desire to read through this thread. but it was all very, very cool. and cold.

oh, and i turned my back when Warren spoke, and i was offended by his reciting "Our Father." totally and thoroughly inappropriate.

i am so, so tired. we walked from NoVA and back, finally finding a place somewhere near the washington monument, and it was amazing to be there. the speech was captivating, you could hear a pin drop for the duration.

maybe i'll post a pic or two later.

i have no desire to read through this thread. but it was all very, very cool. and cold.

:applaud:

Glad you got to be there!!

It really is amazing to think that my ancestors owned slaves since the founding of the colony of Virginia, and centuries later I helped Virginia elect an African-American President. My how times change.

This is going to sound all weird and junk, but you know what part I really liked? And not in the same way as a lot of you? The handoff of power.

Yes, yes, I'm glad to see Bush gone as well, but all that aside, I liked the small ceremony of it. The walking out together, the handshakes, hugs and smiles, George and Laura climbing into the copter and flying away over the city.

It was just one of the ceremonial bits I enjoyed watching. A smaller bit of personal ceremony, not as full of pomp and circumstance as the rest.

That being said, this really made me laugh:

2hdr8cl.jpg

Rick Warren talked about Rick Warren. I half expected him to throw out a 1-800 number at the end of it.

Did anyone think that Dick Cheney in the wheelchair looked like Mr. Potter from It's a Wonderful Life?

"Merry Christmas to you .... in JAIL! Go on home, they're waiting for you!"

:lol:

I agree with cori...he is just like Mr. Potter!!!

That was probably the most awkward limo ride of the day, with Biden and Cheney.

I just watched the Obama's have their first dance...as expected they both looked stunningly beautiful. Michelle's dress...:love:

Michelle's dress is so beautiful. She looks so pretty in the white. Good choice.

You didn't notice that it was not until September, when all the polls agreed that Obama had the election in the bag,
that the financial melt-down kicked in. :shrug:

I thought that the financial melt-down kick in in September was when the polls solidified Obama's lead..

I covered an inaugural viewing party at a local college for the newspaper. Best assignment ever! (Except for covering it in person, of course).

We had the continuing coverage on CNN on in the newsroom all day. Everyone kept running over to the TV to get a better look at what was going on - even the reporter who is a staunch Republican!

This has been a happy, happy, happy day.

1.9 million on the mall
the largest crowd ever to assemble there

and not one arrest !

we truly have a uniter this time!

Back
Top Bottom