It's time for a dissenters' caucus - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:20 PM
It's time for a dissenters' caucus

Check in here if you think America and the world deserves better than a choice between a Giant Douche and a Turd Sandwich.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:20 AM
I agree with the sentiments, I wouldn't vote for McCain on the basis of his contempt for free speech, and Obama for similar reasons (as well as his inspiring religious levels of support from some quarters). I only marginally want to see Obama loose because I enjoy watching the democrats whine (and it's good to have a separate legislature and executive). If I was an American citizen I would stay at home, I am not altogether disposed towards corrupt plutocrats.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
If I was an American citizen I would stay at home
Well this is what too many Americans already do and are shooting themselves in the foot b/c they don't seem to realize that the people that have the MOST effect on their daily lives are LOCAL politicians. My mother in law told me she will probably stay home and not vote b/c she doesn't know who to vote for an Obama already has Ill anyway. I don't understand why it seems a majority if this country is totally apathetic towards participating in the political process that effects the schools their children attend, the libraries and parks they use, the roads they drive on, the taxes they pay, whether the county can seize their home in favor of a a new shopping mall.....who cares about the effing president just VOTE!
Old 10-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Okay, I would go to the polls but I would forfeit my vote.

I genuinely feel that my views are not represented, on the single issues that I do care about the candidatesare generally indistinguishable and the simple fact is that one vote doesn't count in most places. I have a some sympathy towards the individual that votes (or not votes) out of principle, it's an important right that gets them beaten from both partisan side.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Well this is what too many Americans already do and are shooting themselves in the foot b/c they don't seem to realize that the people that have the MOST effect on their daily lives are LOCAL politicians.
It has always amazed me, the number of people who follow every last arcane twist and turn of the presidential elections, and yet they don't even know the names of the mayoral candidates, don't have a clue what the differences between the gubernatorial candidates are, and vote for school board members using reasoning like, "oh, one of the Miller family, I went to school with a couple of them and they seemed pretty cool" etc. etc.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Presidents make a difference?
Old 10-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
Forum Moderator

If you're a single-issue voter they might not, depending on the issue. I have yet to come across such an animal (here, anyway) as a single-issue voter on local politics, though.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

That statement may be backwards
Old 10-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i will likely write in a presidential nominee (considering my state of residence, my vote is meaningless anyway), but vote seriously on the local issues.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

i plan on casting a vote for mickey mouse.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
I agree with the sentiments, I wouldn't vote for McCain on the basis of his contempt for free speech, and Obama for similar reasons (as well as his inspiring religious levels of support from some quarters). I only marginally want to see Obama loose because I enjoy watching the democrats whine (and it's good to have a separate legislature and executive). If I was an American citizen I would stay at home, I am not altogether disposed towards corrupt plutocrats.
You wouldn't vote for Obama because he has a lot of support? That's absurd.

You lean conservative. I still remember you here in 2004 celebrating after W got re-elected.

Obama is 100x the candidate McCain is.

That you 'marginally want to see Obama loose because I enjoy watching the democrats whine' is childish and ridiculous.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
You wouldn't vote for Obama because he has a lot of support? That's absurd.

You lean conservative. I still remember you here in 2004 celebrating after W got re-elected.

That you 'marginally want to see Obama loose because I enjoy watching the democrats whine' is childish and ridiculous.
I lean right, not conservative.

It's not particularly ridiculous, neither camp inspires much in me beyond low levels of contempt, the only difference seems to be that the GOP expects to loose. The argument that having a Democratic congress and a Republican president stifles damage is good, but I wouldn't really hope for a McCain win.

I really don't like it that both candidates champion faith based welfare programs and the associations that both candidates have with religious fanatics.

The issues such as creationism, abortion rights, censorship and corruption are reasons enough not to vote Republican (thankfully enough the courts, with Reagan appointees, have been consistently overruling school boards), I don't think that means you must vote Democratic.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #13
War Child

Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Local Time: 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
i plan on casting a vote for mickey mouse.
I would too. He has all the money. He must be doing something right.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
It has always amazed me, the number of people who follow every last arcane twist and turn of the presidential elections, and yet they don't even know the names of the mayoral candidates, don't have a clue what the differences between the gubernatorial candidates are, and vote for school board members using reasoning like, "oh, one of the Miller family, I went to school with a couple of them and they seemed pretty cool" etc. etc.
But really, that happens everywhere. I must admit to voting in a local council election in Ireland once purely on the basis that I knew one of the candidates from school, and he asked me to vote for him. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have bothered voting in a council election, though I do make some kind of effort to vote in general elections.

The only time I can remember feeling that my vote actually 'made a difference' was when I voted in favour of legalising divorce in an Irish referendum in 1995. I was very glad I made the effort, as it turned out that the referendum just barely passed.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
A value judgement that has no basis in objective reality - although, personally, I'd go the other way to A_Wanderer. Although unenthusiastic about both candidates, I mildly prefer Obama. If I were a US citizen, I'd probably vote Obama, but it would mainly be to stop McCain getting in. Which isn't a very satisfactory basis for a vote. So it's back to Turd and Giant Douche.