It's All Legal And Fun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Horrible, horrible tragedy. I see it first and foremost from that point of view, but I still just can't fathom an 8 year old firing an Uzi, under any circumstances no matter what the "safeguards" are. I don't know if kids should be around guns- if you teach them how to safely use them and how dangerous they are is that better than if they see them as forbidden fruit and somehow get a hold of one? Of course an accident can happen with any gun, not just an Uzi.

By David Abel and Andrew Ryan, Globe Staff, and Matthew P. Collette, Globe Correspondent

Dr. Charles Bizilj stood 10 feet behind his son this weekend at a "Machine Gun Shoot" in Westfield as the 8-year-old aimed an Uzi at a pumpkin in the distance.

As Bizilj reached for his camera, the boy clutched the gun in his arms, squeezed the trigger, and lost control of the weapon, which flipped backwards and fatally shot his son, Christopher, in the head.

“It was all a blur,” Bizilj said this afternoon in a telephone interview. “I’m still in the grieving process.”

Christopher was accompanied by a trained professional as he held the 9-mm Micro Uzi machine gun at the Westfield Sportsman's Club Sunday afternoon, but Bizilj said he doesn’t think the shooting guide was holding the weapon as his son pressed the trigger.

“This accident was truly a mystery to me,” he said. “This is a horrible event, a horrible travesty, and I really don’t know why it happened. I don’t think it’s relevant that he wasn’t holding the weapon.”

He said his son, a third grader who loved to hike and bike, had experience firing handguns and rifles. But he said this was the first time he had fired an automatic weapon.

"I gave permission for him to fire the Uzi,” Bizilj said. “I watched several other children and adults use it. It’s a small weapon, and Christopher was comfortable with guns. There were larger machine guns with much more recoil, and we avoided those.”

Bizilj, the medical director of the emergency department at Johnson Memorial Hospital in Stafford Springs, Conn., said that his son was “very cautious, very well trained, and very much enjoyed firing.”

When his son pressed the trigger Sunday, it was the first gun he had fired all day. “It took about an hour to get there, and it was something he was looking forward to for months,” Bizilj said.

The annual Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo is a two-day event. Police are investigating whether the Westfield Sportsman’s Club and the group running the event were licensed. “We haven’t confirmed whether either have been licensed,” said Westfield Police Lieutenant Hipolito Nuñez.

The sportsman's club boasted in an advertisement for the event posted on its website that the $5 entry fee was waived for children under age 16 and there was "no age limit or licenses required to shoot machine guns."

"It’s all legal & fun," the advertisement says. "You will be accompanied to the firing line with a Certified Instructor to guide you. But You Are In Control – "FULL AUTO ROCK & ROLL."

Shooting targets for the event included vehicles, pumpkins, and "other fun stuff we can’t print here," according to the advertisement.

Christopher Bizilj was firing the weapon at an outside firing range and was wounded once in the head when the recoil forced the gun to rotate upward and backward, Nuñez said. The boy was taken to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield. He was pronounced dead at the hospital with one gunshot wound to the head. No one else was injured.

State law requires anyone under age 18 to have parental consent and a licensed instructor to fire an automatic weapon. Otherwise, there’s no minimum age to fire such a gun, Nuñez said.

“We do not know at this time the full facts of this incident, and it's being investigated," Nuñez said.

The event at the club was organized by C.O.P. Firearms & Training, an Amherst company that, according to its website, organizes machine gun shoots throughout New England. Officials from that group also could not be reached.

e15b6a3548_ltp102708Bizilj.jpg

Grieving mom recalls ‘angel’ son killed at gun show
By Jessica Fargen | Monday, October 27, 2008 | Home - BostonHerald.com

The mother of an 8-year-old boy who shot himself to death at a supervised gun expo in Westfield yesterday says she’ll remember her son as an angel.

“He was a beloved, beautiful child. He was an angel,” said Suzanne Bizilj of Ashford, Conn., whose third-grade son, Christopher, died Sunday after firing an Uzi submachine gun at the Westfield Sportman’s Club.

Christopher apparently lost control as he fired the gun, forcing it upwards and back, causing him to shoot himself in the head, said Westfield Police Lt. Hipolito Nunez. Christopher was under the supervision of a certified instructor, as well as his father, Dr. Charles Bizilj, when he was shot.

The annual machine gun show is advertised as a free-for-all for gun enthusiasts, and has created discord among some club members, said longtime club member Bob Greenleaf.

“To let an 8-year-old boy fire an Uzi is the height of stupidity,” said Greenleaf.

Greenleaf, a member of the club for 44 years, was so opposed to the annual machine gun shoot that he resigned from the club’s board of directors four years ago.

Just taking a look at youtube, you see so many videos if kids at those firing ranges that don't have any experience and they get any kind of gun. Some even get to shoot from stationary machine guns (though that might even be somewhat safer since those guns can't suddenly turn around like a machine pistol can, I still cannot understand how you can let your child dealing with this kind of guns, let alone real guns at all). And it's a real wonder these incidents don't happen more often.

Even adults getting handed any kind of guns results in dangerous situations as they just don't have a clue what they are handling there. Like shooting at parties after having had some drinks.
The danger of this stupidity, I think, is well represented in this video (don't worry, the title sounds worse than it is):
YouTube - Guy hit in head with .50 caliber ricochet

Just to think of it, this gun is created for the military to take out light-armored vehicles.

Actually that looks like fun, I can see some appeal to parking a car in the middle of nowhere and shooting it to all hell.

No it isn't; not at all. (There actually are legitimate reasons for firing guns.)

Hunting.
Shooting people.
Shooting tin cans, pumpkins, cars, and "other things we can't print here."

I guess I'll go for hunting.

What an absolute damn tragedy. But by all means, bear arms. That family's right to grief, your right to bear arms. What the fuck ever. I don't get it. I never will.

:(

Hunting.
Shooting people.
Shooting tin cans, pumpkins, cars, and "other things we can't print here."

I guess I'll go for hunting.

I thought of my cousin on his ranch in Montana, and his gun he used to keep the foxes out of the henhouse. And a friend in Texas who uses one to defend himself against rattlesnakes on the range. Those are really the only uses I can see for them.

I can't see any reason a second-grader needs to be shooting an automatic weapon.

What an absolute damn tragedy. But by all means, bear arms. That family's right to grief, your right to bear arms. What the fuck ever. I don't get it. I never will.

:(

I agree.

Cops and Farmers. That is all. No one else needs a gun.
I know this wasn't a home shooting gone wrong but still, does a 8 year old need experience with guns? Does he need to go out and blow up some pumpkins with an assualt rifle? No he does not.

Wouldn't a shovel be a better snake weapon? I've got a snake problem in my yard, and be stuffed if I could shoot an agro Brown accurately!

Wouldn't a shovel be a better snake weapon? I've got a snake problem in my yard, and be stuffed if I could shoot an agro Brown accurately!

I agree, shooting a snake seems overly complicated and I have dealt with rattlesnakes before...

I don't like guns, other than money I think they may be the worst things ever conceived by the human race...

This thread has brought me back to two years ago when we had a student die unexpectedly in an ATV accident. I am close to throwing up. I cannot think of a more horrific thing to happen in the lives of an elementary school community.

In rural areas it is common for kids to begin to learn to hunt around 8-10ish. But obviously we're not talking automatic weapons there...expecting a child that small to be able to handle the recoil is idiotic.

DA considers charges in shooting death of boy at gun show
Unclear which laws applicable in Westfield case

By Brian R. Ballou, Globe Staff | October 29, 2008

Two days after an 8-year-old boy fatally shot himself with a machine gun at a weapons exposition in Westfield, the Hampden district attorney launched a criminal investigation yesterday into the incident.

In a press release, District Attorney William M. Bennett said he has found "no lawful authority" or law that would allow an 8-year-old to possess or fire a machine gun.

The investigation is expected to focus on whether any state laws that govern the use of firearms were violated and whether those who allowed the child to handle the fully-loaded automatic 9mm Micro Uzi weapon were "reckless or wanton" in doing so.

The investigation is being conducted by local, state, and federal authorities, including the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Bennett was not available for comment on the investigation, but aides said there was no timeline on its completion.

The accident occurred during a "Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo" at the Westfield Sportsmen's Club.

Christopher Bizilj, a child described as a model third-grader from Ashford, Conn., was shot in the head, apparently when the recoil of the firearm sent it up and backward.

His father, Dr. Charles Bizilj, said he stood 10 feet behind his son as a professional trained in using the weapon stood beside the boy.

"This accident was truly a mystery to me," he told the Globe earlier this week. "This is a horrible event, a horrible travesty, and I really don't know why it happened."

He said his son had fired handguns and rifles for three years. While Sunday was the first time the boy had fired an automatic weapon, the father said he had seen other children fire the weapon at the event.

Even with Bennett's statement that he could find no policy or agency that allows young children to handle such deadly weapons, it remained unclear yesterday what laws exist, state or federal, that specifically prohibit children from using automatic firearms at gun clubs.

Adam Martignetti, a spokesman with State Representative Michael A. Costello, said, "We're trying to figure out what laws are in play and what goes on in private gun clubs, because it's not exactly clear."

Costello, a Newburyport Democrat who co-chairs the House Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security, said Monday that he plans to draft a bill that would ban anyone younger than age 21 from firing an automatic weapon.

Daniel Vice, senior lawyer with the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, based in Washington, D.C., said in a statement yesterday that he believes, "Massachusetts law specifically prohibits furnishing a machine gun to any person under 18. It is unconscionable that the gun fair allowed and encouraged young children to fire machine guns."

State laws on the sale or furnishing of weapons or ammunition to minors allow instructors to furnish rifles, shotguns, or ammunition to students under the age of 18, provided the instructor has the consent of the parent or guardian of that student.

But Vice said Uzis are categorized as machine guns and are therefore in a different class than rifles or shotguns.

Since 1994, the Commonwealth has banned the sale and manufacture of assault weapons such as Uzis, but gun clubs that owned such firearms before the ban came into existence were allowed to keep them for use by members because of a grand- father clause.

John Rosenthal, founder of Newton-based Stop Handgun Violence, said, "this is a gaping hole, and these events by gun shops are a cynical loophole that allows citizens to shoot these weapons even though they can't own them.

"No adult under any circumstance should allow a child to hold, not to mention fire, a fully automatic weapon, period," Rosenthal added.

"State law requires anyone under age 18 to have parental consent and a licensed instructor to fire an automatic weapon. Otherwise, there’s no minimum age to fire such a gun, Nuñez said."
"In a press release, District Attorney William M. Bennett said he has found 'no lawful authority' or law that would allow an 8-year-old to possess or fire a machine gun."
MA law really must be unclear here, because those interpretations pretty much contradict each other.

If they're going to allow machine gun shoots, 21 is too high an age minimum--it doesn't make much sense that you can enlist at 18 and perhaps find yourself using such weapons for their intended purpose, yet you're somehow not old enough to shoot a pumpkin with one at a legal event.

In rural areas it is common for kids to begin to learn to hunt around 8-10ish. But obviously we're not talking automatic weapons there...expecting a child that small to be able to handle the recoil is idiotic.

Exactly. My bro was firing guns and bows at that age (and we don't live in a rural area), but he took classes on safety as a child, and he was not firing UZIS!!! He was firing weapons he could handle and a small bow he could draw and control. Sheesh, you could not pay me - an athletic adult - to starting on a gun like that on auto....ouch.

I thought of my cousin on his ranch in Montana, and his gun he used to keep the foxes out of the henhouse. And a friend in Texas who uses one to defend himself against rattlesnakes on the range. Those are really the only uses I can see for them.

I can't see any reason a second-grader needs to be shooting an automatic weapon.

I can vaguely understand the fox situation, I've lived in the country for most of my life, so I've seen cousins and friends seeing the use in shotguns for getting rid of foxes, feral cats etc. and in particular for putting down pets (a way that I certainly don't agree with, but I suppose one of convenience). Yet a gun still seems excessive. I figure it's less of a risk to throw a stone at an attacking fox than risk blasting away half your chickens. Although granted, I've never really been in the exact situation as your cousin.

As for serpents, what the hell is trespassing on his range? Jormungandr? The quickest and most reliable way to kill a snake is with a shovel or another long, hard object (don't get any crude ideas there), as Angela pointed out. Snakes are too slim and quick to be wasting a shotgun on them.

Regardless, this is an utter tragedy beyond words, and I can't possibly imagine what internal conflicts his father is going through.

The sportsman's club boasted in an advertisement for the event posted on its website that the $5 entry fee was waived for children under age 16 and there was "no age limit or licenses required to shoot machine guns."

Yes! Come bring all your little kids in to shoot machine guns! That way we can indoctrinate them at a young age and create new gun nuts for the future!

:doh: :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom