It has been over a decade – how has your life really changed? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2017, 12:52 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
In 2006 I was working an unfulfilling retail management job, living the typical mid-20s single life in a big city (not a ton of responsibility, but not a ton of direction either).

Three years later I'd meet my future wife, who would encourage me to find something I could be passionate about as a career. In 2010 we got engaged, I quit my job and we moved to Chicago so I could train to be a piano technician (I was a piano major in college and have always loved the piano). We got married in 2011, I completed my training (including an amazing, life-altering summer internship with the Boston Symphony Orchestra), we moved to Omaha in 2013 (my wife grew up in Nebraska and still has lots of family here), and I've been working as an independent piano tech for just about 5 years now. Life is pretty damn good, all in all.
Very cool Diemen. I've always admired those who took their love of music to next level (from the technicians in the studio and the mixing, board - to instrument repair - to studio musician - to church bands - to teachers - and yes, even to music critics). I read "Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles" by Geoff Emerick, Howard Massey, Elvis Costello (Foreword by) - a few years back...very engrossing....Anyway, I'm glad to see you found your passion.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:54 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTeeth View Post
Eyewubbee

Let's see... I graduated, got a job, got a cat, met this amazing woman, fell in love, got an even bigger beard, bought a house, got a better job, became a dad of an amazing little boy.

I guess it's been an eventful decade
Despite our differences in this forum, I bet- in the flesh- we would get along.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:55 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
Hello again nbc
Old 09-04-2017, 01:02 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
And Aeon is probably his facebook friend, hoping to bring back a conservative to help defend fascism. Or something.
Obergruppenführer John Smith never accepted my friend request...
Old 09-04-2017, 01:04 AM   #35
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:16 PM
Geez digitize that sounds a bit rough of late. Take care, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnight View Post
Ahhh, my childhood dreams were also to drive trains. I'd still love to one day

I'm pretty jealous honestly. I've considered getting a PhD in English, but the US job market for academics is atrocious as well. I'm just trying to retire early if my more ambitious creative tasks don't pan out.
The research project on which I'm currently employed is an economic and environmental history of railways in Australia and New Zealand, so I might not be driving trains but I've managed to make them part of my professional life. I didn't even really intend to write railway history, but the project emerged from my previous work on New Zealand's political history.

And I never even applied for academic positions in the States because it looks like such a shitshow. I put applications in to European universities and would've taken one if I'd been successful, but I'm glad I've been hired by an Australian university - it's been a bit of a challenge moving to a new city where I know nobody, so going across the world would've been even harder. At least here it's just a short trip back down to Melbourne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
Though catching Axver's 150000 post count is unlikely!
Axver I totally understand your story! And yep I'm in Dunedin, and will absolutely buy you a beer. Perhaps when U2 will be play here next year (fingers crossed).
I'm going to have to think of something good for that 150,000th post aren't I. It's getting uncomfortably close...

Fingers crossed for a tour next year. And no doubt I'll be in Dunedin at some point in the near future to research at the Hocken Library. I love it down there. I'll be in Auckland in November, which is far less exciting to me. I'm thinking of a side trip to the Bay of Plenty though, as I've never been to Tauranga, Te Puke, Whakatane, or anywhere like that.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:42 AM   #36
Refugee

Local Time: 03:16 PM
While those places you mention are perhaps not guide-book highlights the drive from Whakatane to Gizzy is amazing.
Hocken... must visit that place!
Old 09-04-2017, 03:18 AM   #37
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:16 PM
Shame I can't drive! I've always wanted to do the trip around the East Cape. On this visit I definitely don't have time to do the region justice even if I did rope in a friend to handle the driving. But Tauranga looks pretty enough from what I've seen.

I may be a North Islander but I'm much better travelled in the South. That whole eastern coastline north of Napier is a terra incognita for me.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:16 PM
It has been over a decade – how has your life really changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTeeth View Post
Eyewubbee

Let's see... I graduated, got a job, got a cat, met this amazing woman, fell in love, got an even bigger beard, bought a house, got a better job, became a dad of an amazing little boy.

I guess it's been an eventful decade

teeethy!!! That's a pretty solid list
of good life stuff, glad to hear it!
Old 09-09-2017, 01:26 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Location: At Tim Horton's with Kristen and Val talking about Tan Adam and fashion disasters.
Local Time: 09:16 PM
I literally have no idea why, but I'm visiting this site for the first time in years. Then I stumbled upon this thread...

I was more of a "lurker" in here but mostly posted in PLEBA......don't judge, I was a hormone filled 13 year old!! Almost 11 years later, I'm 23, been finally diagnosed with ADHD, which gives me a much greater understanding of myself. I've also got a much better hold on my depression and anxiety. I work at a dog daycare and I'm trying to get my career in dog training started.

Both this place and U2 were honestly my solace and I've made some lasting friends along the way.

It's crazy reading some of your stories/summarizations of the past 10 years, I'm happy to read lots of good things!
Old 09-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #40
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post

There have been a lot of struggles. I lost a 21-year-old sibling to suicide this year. That's... incredibly painful. My parents and remaining sibling are really torn up in a lot of ways, and it's tough to be around them, though I try to support them. The suicide is really hard to work through, and the financial situation doesn't help.
Holy cow man that's awful Sorry to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Believe it or not...I too, love cats. Our home has three permanent residents and we have fostered kittens until their adoption (a heartwarming and heartbreaking experience)

Glad to see you've accomplishment so much in your education! Awesome job!
Cats are pretty damn great. My best friend used to house foster kitties, I really admired them for doing that. Giving a kitten away that you've raised with love and care seems incredibly hard to me. I'm already so attached to my 4 month old ones, wouldn't be able to part anymore at all! I don't know how you do it, but it's great that there are people who care for the little ones!
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:16 AM
How has my life changed this past decade? How hasn't it changed is more like it.

In 2007, I was finishing my Bachelor's degree in Minnesota. Graduated in December, got a job in retail, started applications for grad school. Got admitted into several in California, which resulted in me moving to LA in the summer of 2008. Started a Master's program that fall, got a job as a TA, moved into my own apartment in the Valley in the spring of 2009, graduated with my Master's in 2012. Got a job, worked for a few months. And then in December 2012 I started dating my now-soon to be husband, also from Interf.

I applied for PhD programs in Europe, got accepted into several here, and finally moved to Germany in the spring of 2014 and started a PhD program in Linguistics. I got a job teaching English, have finished all the field research required for my work, and am now finishing my dissertation and working part time as an English teacher, and living with my wonderful partner in Berlin.

We are getting married next Friday, I hopefully finish my thesis and graduate with a doctorate degree next spring, and get a full time job in academia

Life has indeed changed since 2007!
Old 09-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #42
Refugee

Local Time: 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydoll View Post
How has my life changed this past decade? How hasn't it changed is more like it.

In 2007, I was finishing my Bachelor's degree in Minnesota. Graduated in December, got a job in retail, started applications for grad school. Got admitted into several in California, which resulted in me moving to LA in the summer of 2008. Started a Master's program that fall, got a job as a TA, moved into my own apartment in the Valley in the spring of 2009, graduated with my Master's in 2012. Got a job, worked for a few months. And then in December 2012 I started dating my now-soon to be husband, also from Interf.

I applied for PhD programs in Europe, got accepted into several here, and finally moved to Germany in the spring of 2014 and started a PhD program in Linguistics. I got a job teaching English, have finished all the field research required for my work, and am now finishing my dissertation and working part time as an English teacher, and living with my wonderful partner in Berlin.

We are getting married next Friday, I hopefully finish my thesis and graduate with a doctorate degree next spring, and get a full time job in academia

Life has indeed changed since 2007!
Impossible not to smile reading this!
Old 09-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:16 AM
35 now, 25 then (obviously). 10 years ago, September 2007 was actually the month I got engaged to the woman who is now my wife. In October of 07, I bought our house that we still live in. I still have the same job that I had 10 years ago, although I've definitely paid my dues and have built myself up quite a bit within my career (Agriculture). Definitely make more money, and definitely spend more money then I did 10 years ago. The sayings "Gotta spend more money to make more money" and "More money, more problems" apply here.

I now have a wife and 2 kids (ages 4 & 6), that's definitely the biggest change. My parents and even grandparents are still alive and well. I still have pretty much the same friends now that I did then. But whereas we used to go out drinking until 4am every weekend, now we have usually called it a night by midnight, and only do that a handful of times a year. Some friendships went past their expiration date, but they were only temporary figures anyway. The friends I have now will hopefully be my friends for life. I still like playing guitar, whenever I can find the time. U2 are still my favorite band, and I still visit Interference nearly every day.

I used to smoke a pack a day 10 years ago, and now I only smoke the occasional cigarette when drinking with certain people, so that's good. Have put on a little weight, that's not so good. I feel like I've calmed down overall about things. The future is no longer this frightening dark tunnel, I've kind of got a plan now. I don't worry too much about what people think, and it takes a lot more to get under my skin now. I don't freak out about finances so much anymore. I don't care who has a nicer house, nicer car, more money than I do anymore.

I suppose in many ways, my life is kind of the same. I still feel 25, until I'm actually in the presence of 25 year olds. I feel very fortunate, overall. I hope the next 10 are as good to me as the last 10 were.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:56 PM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:16 PM
Congrats, Babydoll!
Old 09-10-2017, 01:42 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm still an officer in Army Reserves (moving up the ranks) and I love it.

I finished my MBA in 2008 and now own my own business that consults with Intel, Allstate, and my main client - IBM Watson Commercial Operations (specifically Watson Health - some amazing Big Data projects around cancer research ).

I have a son that helps my wife understand "maleness" a little more (she had no brothers and an absentee father). We've been married for 15 years now! She is a Sr. Project Manager at Blizzard. (yes, I get to go BlizzCon every year!)

I love being a Soldier - but I also love being a civilian. I'm not great at anything, but I think I am pretty good at a great many things. I was just born this way I guess...

If you were to see me in the street you might think I'm a Nazi (tall, blonde hair, blue eyed, male with a military hair cut). But I'm not. I spend most of my energy making the world a more peaceful and beautiful place for everyone....