Israel's Religious Tensions - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:21 PM
Thank you! It's great here. It's indeed a very interesting experience. It's hard for the region to come out of the shadow of Iraq, but it feels like a totally different place.
The dance reminded me of Greek dances as well. They are also performing it at weddings and other ceremonies. It can go on forever.

These sects make their life here hell on earth. So sad. Ever since the stunt with the KZ uniforms by these, there have been no new news reports at least in German language newspapers about protests. Have things indeed come to a halt since?

Old 01-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #47
Forum Moderator

I haven't personally noticed any articles in the Israeli press about further protests in Beit Shemesh or Jerusalem since then, either. That doesn't mean the general issue is going away, of course--in that same time, there've been articles about other 'controversies' involving female soldiers singing in IDF ceremonies, female doctors participating in panels on halakha-compliant fertility medicine, credit card companies running ads featuring female clients in haredi neighborhoods, and so on--but sadly, those all fall under the 'par for the course' heading, and haven't resulted in violent clashes. I guess the best possible outcome of the grotesque spectacle those protests represented would be that they might open up a wedge between the extremist haredim and the rest of the haredi community. I've never understood why the Neturei Karta et al. are allowed to get away with some of the things they do in Israel, seemingly consequence-free. Israeli Arab activists have gotten in trouble for expressions far less extreme than attending Ahmadinejad's Holocaust denial conference or pelting police removing illegal gender segregation signs with rocks and eggs.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I saw an article from some Austrian newspaper that was published yesterday, which just summed up what's happened and concluded with saying that it's more like the last stand-off of the extremely ultra-orthodox, rather than the beginning. Can't say how correct that impression is.
Interesting fact was also about advertisements: Some companies gave in to the threats of boycott by the radicals and excluded any women from their ads. So then the secularists threatened to boycott these very companies. So I guess in the marketing departments you can see a lot of smoking heads thinking how to please both sides, and some are probably just calculating which are the more profitable customers.