Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
swap woman for black person. How do you think that would go over?
That I would love to see.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

He's being stupid and you should just ignore him and move on. If, by any chance, he starts presenting you with different office supplies to use because he cannot touch what you have touched, then I suggest you go to the company fridge, lick his sandwich and then tell him you've done so after he has eaten it.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
When I help out at the law office where my sister works, there's a lawyer there who is an Orthodox Jew. He refuses to shake hands or have any kind of physical contact with a woman. He told me he doesn't mean to offend, but I feel offended. What, a simple handshake would defile him? A woman is something dirty? If our hands slightly brushed, he would think about sex? Oh the horror!
I saw something about that on that "All-American Muslim" show a while back, too-there's a rule like that in there as well, and a girl freaked out about telling her husband she accidentally shook some guy's hand. It really weirded me out. Sorry we were born female, I guess .

I also get a kick out of how that rule implies that men have no self-control. I've shook hands with men many a time, and...nothing's happened. Apparently I'm doing something wrong .
Old 12-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think you should buy a shirt that says "Erection Maker" and just wear it around the office.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
He's being stupid and you should just ignore him and move on. If, by any chance, he starts presenting you with different office supplies to use because he cannot touch what you have touched, then I suggest you go to the company fridge, lick his sandwich and then tell him you've done so after he has eaten it.
Good one!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I saw something about that on that "All-American Muslim" show a while back, too-there's a rule like that in there as well, and a girl freaked out about telling her husband she accidentally shook some guy's hand. It really weirded me out. Sorry we were born female, I guess .

I also get a kick out of how that rule implies that men have no self-control. I've shook hands with men many a time, and...nothing's happened. Apparently I'm doing something wrong .
I don't think this whole men avoiding women implies they have no self-control. I think it stems from some men being afraid of the influence of a woman. I've read about some radical Muslim groups forbidding women to speak around men or else the men would be aroused by the sound of their voices. I'm trying to put this all into the words I want to, but I really feel there are some men who hate women so much, they want to reduce them to nothing. It's as if they feel if a woman had the slightest power over them, they would feel less masculine. I hope I'm making sense.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:25 AM
I find it offensive that religion enjoys some sort of immunity from discrimination. "Sorry, I can't shake hands with a woman because I'm an Orthodox Jew" should be no different than "Sorry, I can't shake hands with a Jewish person because I'm a skinhead". How long do you suppose that one would last for?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
I don't think this whole men avoiding women implies they have no self-control. I think it stems from some men being afraid of the influence of a woman. I've read about some radical Muslim groups forbidding women to speak around men or else the men would be aroused by the sound of their voices. I'm trying to put this all into the words I want to, but I really feel there are some men who hate women so much, they want to reduce them to nothing. It's as if they feel if a woman had the slightest power over them, they would feel less masculine. I hope I'm making sense.
I totally understand what you're saying. And unfortunately, I'd say you're spot on, too.

Frankly, a guy who freaks that much about the idea of a woman in power isn't a man at all.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I find it offensive that religion enjoys some sort of immunity from discrimination. "Sorry, I can't shake hands with a woman because I'm an Orthodox Jew" should be no different than "Sorry, I can't shake hands with a Jewish person because I'm a skinhead". How long do you suppose that one would last for?
Well one, I don't think a skinhead would apologize for that, and two, they are totally allowed to do so. You don't have to associate or be friendly, or look at, or talk to a black person if you don't want to. It's your right. It is NOT your right to say, move to the back of the bus, there are a bunch of men at the next stop.
That was my point. Religious fucktards can do whatever they want as long as they don't infringe on my rights. You're talking morality, and that will be something they will have to live with, and die with, since they believe in hell.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

I think the bottom line of all religious dogma is to create more followers. Keep women down and use them as baby makers is what it boils down to. It's just a means to an end
Old 12-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
Well one, I don't think a skinhead would apologize for that, and two, they are totally allowed to do so. You don't have to associate or be friendly, or look at, or talk to a black person if you don't want to. It's your right. It is NOT your right to say, move to the back of the bus, there are a bunch of men at the next stop.
At work though? Pearl encounters this shit from an employer. That's what I'm talking about
Old 12-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I totally understand what you're saying. And unfortunately, I'd say you're spot on, too.

Frankly, a guy who freaks that much about the idea of a woman in power isn't a man at all.
Good, and thanks.

This thread reminds me of college, where I ran into problems with both Orthodox Jews and conservative Muslims - all just for standing behind them. One time in the book store, where I was buying my textbooks, I stood behind a Muslim guy on the checkout line. No big deal, right? But he freaked out. He got off the line and started mumbling what could've been prayers.

Another time during a class demonstration where we all had to gather around the professor's desk, I stood behind an Orthodox Jew, who got livid that a woman stood too close to him. For the remainder of the semester, every time he saw me, he would give me these hateful looks.

Its a neurosis I believe, to hate women that much.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
At work though? Pearl encounters this shit from an employer. That's what I'm talking about

Honestly, you wouldn't even begin to have a case. "Your honor, this man said he would not shake my hand."

Okay...?

There's no law that says you are forced to like or interact with others. He could ignore her all day and still be well within his legal rights. He is a jackass in all scenarios, however, and we should pity him.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

I dunno. I think there would be grounds for a discrimination case. "My employer treats me as a lesser person because I'm black".

But regardless, I suppose. My point was more that society tends to tolerate the same horseshit as long as the tag of religion is attached to it
Old 12-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Good, and thanks.

This thread reminds me of college, where I ran into problems with both Orthodox Jews and conservative Muslims - all just for standing behind them. One time in the book store, where I was buying my textbooks, I stood behind a Muslim guy on the checkout line. No big deal, right? But he freaked out. He got off the line and started mumbling what could've been prayers.

Another time during a class demonstration where we all had to gather around the professor's desk, I stood behind an Orthodox Jew, who got livid that a woman stood too close to him. For the remainder of the semester, every time he saw me, he would give me these hateful looks.
Yeesh.

I don't get it. I don't get how people can just blindly accept acting this way because some religion told them they should, how they think this is reasonable behavior.

Quote:
Its a neurosis I believe, to hate women that much.
"Neurosis" is a polite word for it, I think.