Israel attacks Gaza - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-07-2009, 12:54 AM   #166
Refugee
 
dazzlingamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Posts: 2,468
Local Time: 12:59 PM
Last night on our news they showed the absolute horror of what is going on over there and two images stood out to me.
The first one was a group of Palestinian people wailing and thrashing around while a father held a baby in his arms. The baby was obviously dead. Standing with the wailing women were around 5 or 6 young children. They camera showed a close up of their faces. They were absolutely terrified, crying and hanging on to their mothers veils.

The other image was of an israeli family praying together. The son was kneeling eyes closed whispering words of a prayer. his father is a soldier and they were praying for his safety and success in the fighting.

I realised. Its never EVER going to end. Those Palestinian children are going to grow up with hatred and revenge in their head and hearts. Family memebers have been murdered, they have no proper water/food/gas/electricity. They are mentally exhausted, frightened and fucking ANGRY. They will grow up and want to fight, to carry on from their father and so on.

The israeli family will support their soldier father. The son will no doubt grow up and become a soldier (ISrael has compulsary joining don't they?) and continue the fight for more land and complete ownership of the area.

It just makes me sad, and worried. The problem is too big for anyone, any prime minister or president to sit down and have talks and nut it out. The anger and hatred runs far too deep on either side. Not only from the bombings and the killings and the difficult time in actually LIVING, but that these two people fundamentally are different. Different religions, customs and worlds. And they've been squashed into an area the size of a peanut.

IT scares me.
__________________

__________________
dazzlingamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #167
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 02:59 AM
Egypt floats truce plan after 42 killed in Gaza school

by Nidal al-Mughrabi (Reuters)


GAZA, Jan 7 - Israel and Hamas studied an Egyptian proposal for a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip on Wednesday that won immediate backing from the United States and Europe, hours after Israeli shells killed 42 Palestinians at a UN school. However, Israeli officials also said ministers would discuss a major escalation of their 12-day-old offensive that would push troops deep inside Gaza's cities and refugee camps in their bid to end rocket salvoes into Israel by Islamist militants.

A Palestinian official said Gaza's Hamas rulers, who want an end to Israel's blockade of the enclave, had been briefed in Egypt by President Hosni Mubarak and were debating the proposal. More than 600 Palestinians have been killed in the offensive. In New York, where the UN Security Council met on Gaza, Israeli Ambassador Gabriela Shalev told reporters: "I am sure that (Egypt's proposal) will be considered and you will find out whether it was accepted. But we take it very, very seriously." Israel, which has lost seven soldiers and four civilians in the conflict, wants any end to hostilities to satisfy its demand that Egypt cut off Hamas's supplies of smuggled weapons.

Mubarak made his ceasefire call at a joint news conference in Egypt with French President Nicolas Sarkozy. He gave little detail, but diplomats have described a process that would focus on bringing in foreign forces to seal the Egypt-Gaza border against Hamas arms smugglers while easing other trade routes. Sarkozy, winding up a two-day tour of the Middle East, said: "I am confident the Israeli authorities' reaction will make it possible to consider putting an end to the operation in Gaza." With Washington in a transition period ahead of the Jan. 20 inauguration of President-elect Barack Obama, France and its European partners, with backing from US allies in the Arab world, have been pushing hard for Israel to cease fire.

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice endorsed the Mubarak proposal and said a "sustainable" ceasefire should involve both closing off Hamas's ability to rearm through tunnels from Egypt and easing the lives of the 1.5 million people of Gaza by reopening trade routes. "We need urgently to conclude a ceasefire that can endure and that can bring real security," Rice told the Security Council. She welcomed an offer by Israel to open what it called a "humanitarian corridor" that would let aid agencies more easily distribute food and medicine around Gaza while it continues its military operation.

For all the talk of a truce, however, Israel is still demanding a stop to all rocket fire--more than 30 hit the Jewish state on Tuesday--and guarantees Hamas cannot rearm. Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's security cabinet, due to convene on Wednesday, would debate whether to order their armed forces to storm into the Gaza Strip's urban centres, the planned culmination of the offensive, political sources said. They said ministers may defer a vote on approving the plan. "The plan is to enter the urban centres," one source said, noting the first phase was an air campaign launched on Dec. 27 and the second a ground invasion that began on Jan. 3.

After nightfall on Tuesday, fighting eased to a sporadic explosions and gunfire across Gaza. On Tuesday, 77 civilians were killed, taking the total Palestinian death toll to 631.

Israel says it has killed dozens of militants this week. Arab and widespread international anger mounted on Tuesday when Israel acknowledged hitting a UN school where hundreds of people were taking refuge. Medics said 42 people were killed. Israel accused Hamas of using civilians as "human shields" and said troops had been returning mortar fire from the school.

An aide said Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, a bitter foe of Hamas, had ordered officials to look into taking Israel to international courts over the incident. A UN spokesman said the world body wanted an inquiry into both the incident and Israel's allegations about militants firing from schools. The school killings could intensify pressure on Israel for a ceasefire. During Israel's 2006 war against Hezbollah, the deaths of 28 unarmed Lebanese in shelling at the village of Qana intensified world pressure on Israel to negotiate a truce.

The deaths in the school prompted Obama to break his silence on the Gaza offensive and to say the loss of life among civilians was "a source of deep concern" for him. Obama said he would not engage in policy until he was in office but vowed to work rapidly thereafter to secure peace in the Middle East.

Al Qaeda's second-in-command Ayman al-Zawahri called on the Internet for Muslims to "hit the interests of the Zionists and Crusaders wherever and in whichever way you can".

Washington's allies in Arab governments have condemned the Israeli assault, which has contributed to rising oil prices.

Hamas, which has rebuffed Western demands to recognise the Jewish state, end violence and accept existing interim peace deals, has demanded a lifting of the blockade of Gaza in any truce. It seized the territory in 2007, 18 months after it won a parliamentary election. That created a schism with Abbas's Fatah faction that helped kill off the outgoing US administration's efforts to broker a peace with Israel that would have created a Palestinian state.
__________________

__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:41 AM   #168
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tel-Aviv, Israel
Posts: 1,300
Local Time: 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by popshopper View Post
Really wonder what the Israeli excuses will be for two hits on UN run schools. The latest killing at least 40. BBC NEWS | World | Middle East | Strike on Gaza school 'kills 40'

This is just another perfect example of Hamas using their own people as human shields - as they've done so many times before.

The UN school was proven to be a launching site of Hamas for missiles and quassams against us. They hid their weapons in bunkers under the school, right under wear the children were sitting. They thought that they were safe to launch their attacks against us from there - but they were wrong and, again, innocent children were killed because Hamas didn't care about them.

As for the cowardly Hamas "leadership" - where are they now? The Palestinians in Gaza are helpless, without basic necessities, without electricity, with sewage running through the streets, with hundreds of people who have no shelter to run to......and where are the leaders? They're in their ratholes underground, shaking in their boots, hiding from us like the cowards that they are, hiding in hospitals among the doctors and patients and also hiding in ambulances - putting yet MORE civillians in danger.....and basically leaving their people to fend for themselves when their people need them the most.

The most ironic thing about this situation is that it is ISRAEL who will be providing the aid needed for the Palestinians in Gaza. Israel is allowing supply trucks with humanitarian aid to cross into Gaza to relieve some of the pressure. Do you get the irony? ISRAEL is providing the services that Hamas (as the rulers in Gaza) should be providing.

Hamas is a pathetic terrorist organization that has brought nothing but death and destruction to the Palestinian people and very soon they will be brought down to the gutter where they belong and the Palestinian people will FINALLY be free.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1053455.html
__________________
AchtungBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:51 AM   #169
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tel-Aviv, Israel
Posts: 1,300
Local Time: 01:59 AM


LMAO!!
Chavez....another GREAT humanitarian!
Even now he's trying to twist the arms of his legislatures in order for him to be president (i.e. DICTATOR) for life......
I think he's the LAST person to be talking about barbarism.
As for our ambassador - he'll be back.
__________________
AchtungBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:31 AM   #170
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 459
Local Time: 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
The case of the school seems excessive, as do missile strikes which kill bomb makers and their entire families.

But what is the allowable response against an opponent who uses human shields?

Your argument seems to be that any attack which (knowingly?) kills civilians is unjustified and goes against the principles of international law. You cite an obvious example of disproportionate force.

The question must be framed in light of what the Israelis knew, or could have potentially known (even perhaps deliberately ignored), about the target and what went into the decision for the attack.

As obvious and unsurprising as Hamas using humanitarian resources as staging posts and stockpiles for rockets that should not exclude them from responsibility for the Israeli response (nor should it justify any and all violence against Palestinians; both sides being wrong is a truism).

What is a reasonable approach to an opponent which uses human shields, and is that approach a realistic one?
The Geneva conventions are pretty clear on this. The use of Civilian Shields is prohibited, but their use in no way absolves the attacker from his obligation to protect civilian life. Israel's actions (and Hamas's) are war crimes, however as Israel is the aggressor in this instance their crime is greater.

And as stated, if you think a UN manned installation is a Hamas weapons dump then you are fool. The Israeli's either intentionally attacked the school which would be foolish (and a war crime) as it was being used as a civilian shelter and this media flap would always have happened, or some tank operator got over-excited and their covering it up (which they've done on lots of occasions when snipers have went a bit mental, the Israeli's have lots of inquiries but few result in anyone being blamed other than the poor sod who gets shot).
__________________
popshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:36 AM   #171
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 459
Local Time: 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
This is just another perfect example of Hamas using their own people as human shields - as they've done so many times before.

The UN school was proven to be a launching site of Hamas for missiles and quassams against us. They hid their weapons in bunkers under the school, right under wear the children were sitting. They thought that they were safe to launch their attacks against us from there - but they were wrong and, again, innocent children were killed because Hamas didn't care about them.

As for the cowardly Hamas "leadership" - where are they now? The Palestinians in Gaza are helpless, without basic necessities, without electricity, with sewage running through the streets, with hundreds of people who have no shelter to run to......and where are the leaders? They're in their ratholes underground, shaking in their boots, hiding from us like the cowards that they are, hiding in hospitals among the doctors and patients and also hiding in ambulances - putting yet MORE civillians in danger.....and basically leaving their people to fend for themselves when their people need them the most.

The most ironic thing about this situation is that it is ISRAEL who will be providing the aid needed for the Palestinians in Gaza. Israel is allowing supply trucks with humanitarian aid to cross into Gaza to relieve some of the pressure. Do you get the irony? ISRAEL is providing the services that Hamas (as the rulers in Gaza) should be providing.

Hamas is a pathetic terrorist organization that has brought nothing but death and destruction to the Palestinian people and very soon they will be brought down to the gutter where they belong and the Palestinian people will FINALLY be free.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1053455.html
See my previous response even if it's a legitmate miltary target the fact that civilians were known to be present (and it was known as the IDF had the GPS coordinates of the school and knew it was being used as a shelter) then the burden on the Israelis to prevent loss of civilian life is clear. In the US or UK (you know a civilised country) the officer ordering the attack would be undergoing a courtmartial by now. And it's not proven, just because the IDF (who are not neutral) say it is. The UN school was a designated shelter and was manned by UN personnel, who say it wasn't a weapons dump, the UN are far more neutral than the Israeli's who'll say anything to cover up (remember the USS Liberty and the UN observation post in 2006)
__________________
popshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:36 AM   #172
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tel-Aviv, Israel
Posts: 1,300
Local Time: 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by popshopper View Post
See my previous response even if it's a legitmate miltary target the fact that civilians were known to be present (and it was known as the IDF had the GPS coordinates of the school and knew it was being used as a shelter) then the burden on the Israelis to prevent loss of civilian life is clear. In the US or UK (you know a civilised country) the officer ordering the attack would be undergoing a courtmartial by now. And it's not proven, just because the IDF (who are not neutral) say it is. The UN school was a designated shelter and was manned by UN personnel, who say it wasn't a weapons dump, the UN are far more neutral than the Israeli's who'll say anything to cover up (remember the USS Liberty and the UN observation post in 2006)
Popshopper,

The bodies of Hamas militants that were hiding in the building were found in the rubble.

I assume they WEREN'T there to seek shelter.........
__________________
AchtungBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:27 AM   #173
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 459
Local Time: 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
Popshopper,

The bodies of Hamas militants that were hiding in the building were found in the rubble.

I assume they WEREN'T there to seek shelter.........
Says who? The IDF and the Israeli and US media who get their information from the IDF. There are no independent sources allowed in the region. And even if they were, it's still a FUCKING war crime, the Geneva Convention is clear, I know the Israeli's haven't signed up to it. The UN have said there weren't "Unwra spokesman Christopher Gunness said the agency was certain Hamas militants were not using its school to attack Israeli troops." http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/7814772.stm and Hamas have also said they werent there(although I'd trust those murderers as much as I'd trust the IDF).

And by the way when the IDF shelled the UN outpost Qana in Lebanon in 1996 (killing 100 civilians) it said the same thing then came out and apologised when the heat died down. And again when they bombed Qana in 2006. And when they bombed the UN observation post in 2006, initially it was a Hezbollah target, then suddenly when the international media outrage subsided they again apologised. And there's always the sinking of the USS Liberty. The IDF have a easily documented history of lying to cover up atrocities and then later saying "oops, sorry".
__________________
popshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #174
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tel-Aviv, Israel
Posts: 1,300
Local Time: 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by popshopper View Post
Says who? The IDF and the Israeli and US media who get their information from the IDF. There are no independent sources allowed in the region. And even if they were, it's still a FUCKING war crime, the Geneva Convention is clear, I know the Israeli's haven't signed up to it. The UN have said there weren't "Unwra spokesman Christopher Gunness said the agency was certain Hamas militants were not using its school to attack Israeli troops." BBC NEWS | World | Middle East | Pressure grows for Gaza ceasefire and Hamas have also said they werent there(although I'd trust those murderers as much as I'd trust the IDF).

And by the way when the IDF shelled the UN outpost Qana in Lebanon in 1996 (killing 100 civilians) it said the same thing then came out and apologised when the heat died down. And again when they bombed Qana in 2006. And when they bombed the UN observation post in 2006, initially it was a Hezbollah target, then suddenly when the international media outrage subsided they again apologised. And there's always the sinking of the USS Liberty. The IDF have a easily documented history of lying to cover up atrocities and then later saying "oops, sorry".
Look, this argument is futile. I can argue our side from here to tomorrow and my point just won't get through.

I truly value and respect every single opinion on this board - even those who condemm my country as war criminals, that is the nature of free discussion and debate. However, the fact remains that you don't live here and you can't possibly understand the terrorism that we've faced from Hamas in the 21 years since it's founding. They began with sparadic attacks against individuals and then they "graduated" to suicide bombings, perfecting their deadly methods with each passing year, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of innocent Israelis (who were TARGETED).

From 2001 they started shooting short range home-made Quassam rockets at the cities and areas around the Gaza strip, causing damage and injuries. When Israel pulled out of the Gaza strip in 2003, Hamas used the abandoned lands as launching areas to move the missiles closer to the cities of Sderot and eventually extended their range till Ashkelon. After Hamas seized power of Gaza in 2007, there was nothing standing in their way of obtaining more missiles with longer ranges - now reaching the city of Ashdod (where I live) and beyond.

As well as their missiles, Hamas built an underground network of tunnels which are used to smuggle in explosives from Egypt (with the help of Al Qaida cells in the Sinai) and to carry out attacks against our soldiers (one of which resulted in the abduction of our soldier Gilad Shalit who is still being held captive).

All through the years, Israel has endured these countless attacks with little response. In order to stop the smuggling of arms and terrorists across the borders, Israel has sealed the passes to the Gaza strip, allowing only humanitarian aid through. Hamas used this to its advantage to portray Israel as ruthless and cruel and the world (of course) bought into this propaganda - totally ignoring the CAUSE of Israel's actions.

In June of 2008 Israel and Hamas reached a "truce" which was to end the rocket attacks and allow for some sort of negotiations to go forth (with the mediation of Egypt). Naturally, Hamas took every opportunity to break the truce and continued firing at us......and still we did NOTHING. They used the so-called cease fire to re-arm themselves with longer range missiles and were just waiting for the chance to use them. That chance came on December 17th when they officially announced the end of the "truce" and commenced firing on our cities - firing over 85(!!) missiles in one day.

.....well, that was the LAST straw as far as Israel was concerned.

We knew that we couldn't keep living like this and subjecting our citizens to endless bombardments from Gaza and that's when we decided to take action.

I am NOT ignoring the plight of the Palestinian people in this regard - they are as much victims as we are. They are also captives of a brutal regime that doesn't care anything about them and their problems. Do you think that Ismael Haniya (the Hamas prime minister) actually CARES that his people are out of work, have no basic necessities, no electricity, no food? What does HE care? As long as he spends millions of dollars on arming himself against us rather than take care of his own people.

Hamas could have ended the seige of Gaza a very long time ago - it is their blind hatred and stubborness that keeps the Palestinian people in darkness and without any hope for the future.

The fact remains that we are NOT the "bad guys" in this war. We had no choice but to put an end to the reign of terror that we've been under since 2001. Our southern cities have been held hostage for long enough and the time has come to free them from this burden and hopefully, as a result, the Palestinians in Gaza will be free too.
__________________
AchtungBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #175
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 08:59 PM
I said this when it began - it is extremely troubling to me that Israel has prevented journalists from going in there and continues to prevent them. It's suspicious, it looks bad, and it makes me not believe a single thing Israel or Hamas say, since there can be no believable, objective third party to verify or document it.
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 AM   #176
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tel-Aviv, Israel
Posts: 1,300
Local Time: 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I said this when it began - it is extremely troubling to me that Israel has prevented journalists from going in there and continues to prevent them. It's suspicious, it looks bad, and it makes me not believe a single thing Israel or Hamas say, since there can be no believable, objective third party to verify or document it.
There is a good reason for this. It's not because we have anything to hide but rather to keep our soldiers safe.

Unlike the United States, who had embedded journalists when they went to war in Iraq, Israel does not have journalists tagging along with the tanks and armored carriers. The element of surprise is crucial against the enemy and to have journalists covering and reporting their every move would jeapordize the safety of the soldiers and the mission in general.

Furthermore, the soldier's cellphones were confiscated because their movements could also be pinpointed by the signals they put out.

As for information, the IDF spokesman gives briefings to the journalists and I've already posted the address of the YouTube channel started by the IDF spokesman in order for people to know what's going on.

So you see, we're not hiding anything - we're just very careful and cautious about the safety of our fighters in an ongoing campaign.
__________________
AchtungBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #177
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 459
Local Time: 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
Look, this argument is futile. I can argue our side from here to tomorrow and my point just won't get through.

I truly value and respect every single opinion on this board - even those who condemm my country as war criminals, that is the nature of free discussion and debate. However, the fact remains that you don't live here and you can't possibly understand the terrorism that we've faced from Hamas in the 21 years since it's founding. They began with sparadic attacks against individuals and then they "graduated" to suicide bombings, perfecting their deadly methods with each passing year, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of innocent Israelis (who were TARGETED).

From 2001 they started shooting short range home-made Quassam rockets at the cities and areas around the Gaza strip, causing damage and injuries. When Israel pulled out of the Gaza strip in 2003, Hamas used the abandoned lands as launching areas to move the missiles closer to the cities of Sderot and eventually extended their range till Ashkelon. After Hamas seized power of Gaza in 2007, there was nothing standing in their way of obtaining more missiles with longer ranges - now reaching the city of Ashdod (where I live) and beyond.

As well as their missiles, Hamas built an underground network of tunnels which are used to smuggle in explosives from Egypt (with the help of Al Qaida cells in the Sinai) and to carry out attacks against our soldiers (one of which resulted in the abduction of our soldier Gilad Shalit who is still being held captive).

All through the years, Israel has endured these countless attacks with little response. In order to stop the smuggling of arms and terrorists across the borders, Israel has sealed the passes to the Gaza strip, allowing only humanitarian aid through. Hamas used this to its advantage to portray Israel as ruthless and cruel and the world (of course) bought into this propaganda - totally ignoring the CAUSE of Israel's actions.

In June of 2008 Israel and Hamas reached a "truce" which was to end the rocket attacks and allow for some sort of negotiations to go forth (with the mediation of Egypt). Naturally, Hamas took every opportunity to break the truce and continued firing at us......and still we did NOTHING. They used the so-called cease fire to re-arm themselves with longer range missiles and were just waiting for the chance to use them. That chance came on December 17th when they officially announced the end of the "truce" and commenced firing on our cities - firing over 85(!!) missiles in one day.

.....well, that was the LAST straw as far as Israel was concerned.

We knew that we couldn't keep living like this and subjecting our citizens to endless bombardments from Gaza and that's when we decided to take action.

I am NOT ignoring the plight of the Palestinian people in this regard - they are as much victims as we are. They are also captives of a brutal regime that doesn't care anything about them and their problems. Do you think that Ismael Haniya (the Hamas prime minister) actually CARES that his people are out of work, have no basic necessities, no electricity, no food? What does HE care? As long as he spends millions of dollars on arming himself against us rather than take care of his own people.

Hamas could have ended the seige of Gaza a very long time ago - it is their blind hatred and stubborness that keeps the Palestinian people in darkness and without any hope for the future.

The fact remains that we are NOT the "bad guys" in this war. We had no choice but to put an end to the reign of terror that we've been under since 2001. Our southern cities have been held hostage for long enough and the time has come to free them from this burden and hopefully, as a result, the Palestinians in Gaza will be free too.
Bullshit, Israel were bombing the crap out of Gaza and the West Bank before Hamas even existed so it's a bit rich to blame everything on them. When the IRA and ETA were attacking the UK and Spain respectively, neither the UK nor the Spanish governments were dropping bombs on Dublin or San Sebastian either. The latest ceasefire ended when the Israel bombed and killed 6 people in early December, an act set up to precipate this response to allow cover for the current action which are basically to give the current coalition a shot of maintaining control after the election they were about to lose.

Israel stole their land, locked them in desolation, control their movement, bomb them continually, failed to meet your agreed obligations under international treaty and UN resolutions. You fail to even give back the extra land you stole in 1967 offering 91% of it in staged amounts as long as the you get the airspace and are able to put military bases where ever you like.

And you've let on average 3 truckloads of humanitarian supplies a day in December when there's 1.5 million people to feed, very big of you.

You act like Israel has never done anything wrong and the big bad terrorists are cause of everything...need I remind you how Israel was founded? Hotel bombings and civilian massacres where ok back then I take it.
__________________
popshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:22 AM   #178
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 459
Local Time: 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
There is a good reason for this. It's not because we have anything to hide but rather to keep our soldiers safe.

Unlike the United States, who had embedded journalists when they went to war in Iraq, Israel does not have journalists tagging along with the tanks and armored carriers. The element of surprise is crucial against the enemy and to have journalists covering and reporting their every move would jeapordize the safety of the soldiers and the mission in general.

Furthermore, the soldier's cellphones were confiscated because their movements could also be pinpointed by the signals they put out.

As for information, the IDF spokesman gives briefings to the journalists and I've already posted the address of the YouTube channel started by the IDF spokesman in order for people to know what's going on.

So you see, we're not hiding anything - we're just very careful and cautious about the safety of our fighters in an ongoing campaign.
You've got the 5th biggest standing army in the world, complete air control, funded with US's taxpayers money and all the latest technology against an enemy who doesn't even have 1 tank. Hamas are of little threat.

You don't let Journalists in because it makes killing civilians easier.
__________________
popshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #179
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
There is a good reason for this. It's not because we have anything to hide but rather to keep our soldiers safe.
I don't buy into this as a good reason. The end result is that on the world stage, it demonstrates that Israel can't be trusted which further complicates negotiations.

I'm glad you're posting again and hope that you and your family stay safe.

Your comments on Hamas leadership failures due to violent tactics are completely valid and criticism of Israel's actions does not somehow make Hamas "good guys" or less than "bad guys".

What has been bothering me through this is to get past the propaganda terrorist fear manipulation and sentimental bullshit and get to the root of why it is in the strategic interest of the US and Israel to occupy the West Bank and run Gaza as an abused ghetto against international law. Adding to that gross human rights violations and war crimes.

It seems clearer to me now that for the US and Israel, Palestinians are simply used as canon fodder as a perceived necessity to keep Iran and Syria at bay.

Unacceptable.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #180
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tel-Aviv, Israel
Posts: 1,300
Local Time: 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by popshopper View Post
Bullshit, Israel were bombing the crap out of Gaza and the West Bank before Hamas even existed so it's a bit rich to blame everything on them. When the IRA and ETA were attacking the UK and Spain respectively, neither the UK nor the Spanish governments were dropping bombs on Dublin or San Sebastian either. The latest ceasefire ended when the Israel bombed and killed 6 people in early December, an act set up to precipate this response to allow cover for the current action which are basically to give the current coalition a shot of maintaining control after the election they were about to lose.

Israel stole their land, locked them in desolation, control their movement, bomb them continually, failed to meet your agreed obligations under international treaty and UN resolutions. You fail to even give back the extra land you stole in 1967 offering 91% of it in staged amounts as long as the you get the airspace and are able to put military bases where ever you like.

And you've let on average 3 truckloads of humanitarian supplies a day in December when there's 1.5 million people to feed, very big of you.

You act like Israel has never done anything wrong and the big bad terrorists are cause of everything...need I remind you how Israel was founded? Hotel bombings and civilian massacres where ok back then I take it.
You're right. Our conflict with our Palestinian neighbors started before this campaign.....like 60 years(!!) or so ago. We have never had a moment's peace since the Jewish people returned to its ancient homeland and established the state in 1948. The very next day we were invaded by all of the neigboring Arab states who, even then, refused to accept our existance - and this was BEFORE Israel had any land to give back. They just didn't want us here and tried time and again to erase us from existance. The conflict didn't start in 1967 and it certainly won't end with this campaign.

Here's a brief history:

The Palestinian problem could have been solved 60 years ago if the Arabs living in Palestine had accepted the UN partition plan and put down their arms against us. The Palestinian state would have been created 60 years ago alongside Israel and the Palestinian people could have been ruling themselves and providing for themselves.

There were so many missed opportunities to solve the middle-east crisis - just to name a few:

1. After the six-day war in June 1967 when Israel captured the west bank, the Golan Heights and the Sinai Penninsula. These terrirotories were captured in a defensive war which we won by the grace of G-d. These territories were never officially annexed by Israel and we've always said that we're waiting to negotiate their return in exchange for peace - which of course was out of the question for the Arab countries, until Egypt took the bold step of making peace with us in 1979 - and as a result we gave back the Sinai Penninsula.

2. Another missed opportunity (in a chain of missed opportunities) came in 1993 when Israel recognized the PLO and the Oslo agreements were signed, granting the Palestinians autonomy leading up to an eventual Palestinian state which was supposed to be established by 1998. While the Fatah party laid down their arms, Hamas raised the mantle of radical Islam and waged a murderous campaign of suicide bombers against our population.

3. In 2000, Israel reached an unprecedented decision to sign an agreement which would effectively return 97% of the west bank to the Palestinians, including dismantling the settlements. Yassar Arafat turned us down cold and missed a true once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

4. In August 2005, after realizing that we had absolutely no one to talk to on the Palestinian side after Hamas took power in Gaza, Israel unilaterally withdrew from the Gaza Strip, dismantling settlements and relinquishing the land to the Palestinians. Israel left all the infrastructure intact and the Palestinian government could have used the land to resettle the poor people of Gaza City and to take them out of the squalor of the refugee camps…but no….they preferred to use perfectly good land to place rocket launchers and fire them into the nearby city of Sderot – it was much more important for the terrorist government to fight us instead of taking care of the needs of their own people.

5. Iran is pledging hundreds of millions of dollars to the Palestinians. Do you think it’s for food and medicine? Think again. The Hamas government will use this money to arm themselves with more sophisticated weapons and long-range missiles that will put us AND them in grave danger.

I could go on and on but I think you get the point. Time after time after time Israel has tried to reach agreements with the Palestinian governments, to no avail.


You're also right about Israel being founded on violence and bloodshed - as was every other country in the world (including the United States). Independence isn't achieved by folk dancing and cotton candy - it is won by the blood of the people and the courage of knowing that our cause is just.

As for bombing hotels......I would suggest that you read this account of the bombing of the King David hotel in Jerusalem by the Jewish resistance and then tell me that it's the same thing as strapping bombs on people to blow themselves up in restaurants and stores and busses.

The Bombing of the King David Hotel

As for civillian massacres, I assume you're referring to Dir Yassin - here's something else for you to read and see:

Israel Matzav: The truth about Dir Yassin


I suppose the United States won it's independence by having tea and crumpets with the British, right?

EVERY country is founded in violence and struggle - the only difference being that Israel is STILL locked in a daily struggle for survival and we are still defending ourselves against our enemies.
__________________

__________________
AchtungBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com