Islamic Terrorist Groups Find New Home in Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i saw that video the other day. very interesting stuff. it's obviously extremely concerning for west africa but i'm not sure there's much for us to be concerned about unless we have loved ones in the sahel or a reason to have to travel there. i would classify these groups more as bandits and raiders rather than global terrorists. we aren't hearing any of the anti-west, anti-israel rhetoric that was basically the whole reason for arabian al-qaeda's existence, and i really doubt the "isis" groups really have any intention to set up a functioning islamic caliphate.

this area of the world is completely ungoverned and currently ungovernable, like the video mentions. bandits and warlords have always stepped into these power vacuums throughout history. i think this is generally what's happening here and the various groups are just choosing sides, declaring which other groups are their allies and enemies, and trying to gain recruits by attaching a well-known brand to themselves. this is probably not all that different from the 70s and 80s where every third-world insurgency or warlord's army declared themselves "communist" or "democratic" in order to broadcast their general ideology and claim legitimacy.

we (by "we" i mean "civilized society", not necessarily "the west" or america) should keep the pressure on these groups, and indeed all banditry and barbarism wherever it arises, but just because these guys say they're "isis" we shouldn't worry that a group from the back woods of burkina faso is plotting to bomb london.

Last edited:
One thing this video failed to mention is that Somalia has been ruled (or attempted to be ruled) by Islamists since the early 90s. It's been broiled in a civil war ever since and the Islamic militants took over after its so-called government collapsed about 25 years ago. Don't know when Al-Shabab appeared, but the militants are nothing new to that country.

Also, this helps explain why so many Africans are risking their lives to go to Europe. Their countries are - for lack of a better term - completely shot for a variety of reasons.

If you think the Middle East refugee crisis is bad, just wait for the African nations.

It's worth reading "Evolving Terror", a study by Daveed Gartenstein-Ross and others on the evolving tactics of jihadist groups in Africa between 2007 and 2017. It focuses on attacks against what they term "Western interests", which helps focusing on those attacks that can be more clearly attributed to certain groups, and also allows to see patterns in the more sophisticated actions, that ultimately also contribute to attacks against local actors (which usually are simpler targets).

It generally found that attacks over time have become more sophisticated and complex, and it looked into learning by the groups through trial and error. It also found some apparent information sharing between different groups. The lack of attention given to the African jihadist groups bears the risk of them trying out methods there which, with adaption, may be used in other regions.

http://www.defenddemocracy.org/content/uploads/documents/REPORTS_EvolvingTerror.pdf

canada has sent a small force to mali to help in fighting these groups and maintaining the peace. it's pretty dangerous and some of my old unit will probably be there maintaining the satellite link with canada so first and foremost hoping for all the troops to come back safely. i don't support interventionism against sovereign nations but i definitely support multinational missions against bandit warlords. hoping this is a successful mission and the start of some peace and stability in this region.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/arsenault-minusma-1.4719915

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom