Is this America ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
Perhaps these kids should have demonstrated their 'moon walk'.

because then they would be accepted and cheered

because afterall, 'we are the world, we are the children'.

Pool Boots Kids Who Might "Change the Complexion"Campers sent packing after first visit to swim club

By KAREN ARAIZA

Updated 3:01 PM EDT, Wed, Jul 8, 2009

CATS%20CAMPS%20dancing%20photo.jpg

Dymire Baylor says he overheard a woman ask, "What are all these black kids doing?" when he and his freinds showed up.

More than 60 campers from Northeast Philadelphia were turned away from a private swim club and left to wonder if their race was the reason.

Pool Boots Kids Who Might "Change the Complexion"
Watch Video

Kids at Creative Steps Day Camp were thrilled to go swimming once a week at the Valley Swim Club. But after only one trip to the private club, they were...

"I heard this lady, she was like, 'Uh, what are all these black kids doing here?' She's like, 'I'm scared they might do something to my child,'" said camper Dymire Baylor.

The Creative Steps Day Camp paid more than $1900 to The Valley Swim Club. The Valley Swim Club is a private club that advertises open membership. But the campers' first visit to the pool suggested otherwise.

"When the minority children got in the pool all of the Caucasian children immediately exited the pool," Horace Gibson, parent of a day camp child, wrote in an email. "The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately."

The next day the club told the camp director that the camp's membership was being suspended and their money would be refunded.

"I said, 'The parents don't want the refund. They want a place for their children to swim,'" camp director Aetha Wright said.

Campers remain unsure why they're no longer welcome.

"They just kicked us out. And we were about to go. Had our swim things and everything," said camper Simer Burwell.

The explanation they got was either dishearteningly honest or poorly worded.

"There was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion … and the atmosphere of the club," John Duesler, President of The Valley Swim Club said in a statement.

While the parents await an apology, the camp is scrambling to find a new place for the kids to beat the summer heat.

we have a (half) Negro President :up:

can we please end affirmative action now ??

that are no more race problems in America.

repeal the Voting Rights Act, while we are at it.

I try not to jump the gun on these sensational stories.

It seems like there is only one story on the net, that has been picked up and rewritten a few times.

this could be a plant, or gross exaggeration

time will tell

this is Pennsylvania, that is in America, right?

oh yeah, it is where they "cling to their religion, cling to their guns, and 100 SPF sunblock."

Northeast Philadelphia has had a whole host of racial issues in its history.

it is a private club?

if there were 10 kids in the pool

and 60 kids came in, and the club did not realize their group was that large, then it would be one thing.

How big is the pool, have other groups (white kids) of 60 been turned away?

time will shed more light on this

if it is a private institution that doesnt recieve funding from the gooberment, then they can pretty much do whatever the hell they want. they dont want to let 60 black kids in, they dont have to.

just like the masters (superbowl of golf), that private club wont let women play in it. the advertisers threatened to not fund them, so they said fuck you and paid for it themselves and now the masters is commercial free.

not saying it's right or wrong, just the way it is

if there were 10 kids in the pool

and 60 kids came in, and the club did not realize their group was that large, then it would be one thing.

How big is the pool, have other groups (white kids) of 60 been turned away?
I thought about this too, but I find it awfully hard to believe that a swim club granting membership to a kids' day camp wouldn't have asked in advance how many kids to expect. And it's not rocket science to predict what effect the arrival of 60 kids at a pool might have on the "atmosphere." It may be that the management was fine with it until they suddenly got an earful from members displeased by the "change in complexion." What's landed them in the papers was that sudden about-face, plus the club president's manner of describing what the problem was (and if pool employees openly told the kids that as "minorities" they weren't welcome, that too obviously). In a way, it sounds reminiscent of a scenario that transpired numerous times across the South during the early 60s, where sometimes a white business owner contemplated doing the right thing and voluntarily desegregating his shop or restaurant, but then balked at the thought of how his white customers would react.

I honestly have no clue what that article has to do with this thread or my post...:huh:

My post was obviously somewhat tongue-n-cheek.

Of course it had some truth. It was in reference to the fact that posters in here, several of the right media, etc have declared that racism is dead, and then Rush said the "left media will still try and keep racism alive becase they need it to push their agendas."

That's what it was in reference to, so this is why your article is baffling to me, I have no clue what it has to do with this article or my quote.

Of course it had some truth. It was in reference to the fact that posters in here, several of the right media, etc have declared that racism is dead, and then Rush said the "left media will still try and keep racism alive becase they need it to push their agendas."
I think there are genuine cases of racism that still exist. Sure. But it is also being used as a political racket, like the one Booker T. Washington warned about:

"I am afraid that there is a certain class of race-problem solvers who don't want the patient to get well, because as long as the disease holds out they have not only an easy means of making a living, but also an easy medium through which to make themselves prominent before the public."

That's what Rush is talking about. And if you wonder why Eric Holder thinks we're a nation of cowards on race, that is why. I've never heard the words "racism is dead" from anyone in the conservative media.

That's what it was in reference to, so this is why your article is baffling to me, I have no clue what it has to do with this article or my quote.
Read it anyways. Some elements on the very same people the left panders to - underneath the race card in the leftist agenda - aren't very pretty.

I think there are genuine cases of racism that still exist. Sure. But it is also being used as a political racket, like the one Booker T. Washington warned about:

"I am afraid that there is a certain class of race-problem solvers who don't want the patient to get well, because as long as the disease holds out they have not only an easy means of making a living, but also an easy medium through which to make themselves prominent before the public."

That's what Rush is talking about. And if you wonder why Eric Holder thinks we're a nation of cowards on race, that is why. I've never heard the words "racism is dead" from anyone in the conservative media.
No they haven't said it's dead, but they have said it's no longer a problem, and they are wrong. I don't think you are quite grasping what Eric Holder was trying to say...

Read it anyways. Some elements on the very same people the left panders to - underneath the race card in the leftist agenda - aren't very pretty.
I did read it, and given the sentence you quoted I think you grossly misinterpreted what she was saying. Go back and read the previous two questions and put it in context.

Yes, racism on all sides is alive in this country.

Ohio.com - Akron police investigate teen mob attack on family

Akron police say they aren't ready to call it a hate crime or a gang initiation.

But to Marty Marshall, his wife and two kids, it seems pretty clear.

It came after a family night of celebrating America and freedom with a fireworks show at Firestone Stadium. Marshall, his family and two friends were gathered outside a friend's home in South Akron.

Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family.

The Marshalls, who are white, say the crowd of teens who attacked them and two friends June 27 on Girard Street numbered close to 50. The teens were all black.

''This was almost like being a terrorist act,'' Marshall said. ''And we allow this to go on in our neighborhoods?''

They said it started when one teen, without any words or warning, blindsided and assaulted Marshall's friend as he stood outside with the others.

When Marshall, 39, jumped in, he found himself being attacked by the growing group of teens.

His daughter, Rachel, 15, who weighs about 90 pounds, tried to come to his rescue. The teens pushed her to the ground.

His wife, Yvonne, pushed their son, Donald, 14, into bushes to keep him protected.

''My thing is,'' Marshall said, ''I didn't want this, but I was in fear for my wife, my kids and my friends. I felt I had to stay out there to protect them, because those guys were just jumping, swinging fists and everything.

''I'm lucky. They didn't break my ribs or bruise my ribs. I thank God, they concentrated on my thick head because I do have one. They were trying to take my head off my spine, basically.''

After several minutes of punches and kicks, the attack ended and the group ran off. The Marshalls' two adult male friends were not seriously hurt.

''I don't think I thought at that moment when I tried to jump in,'' Rachel Marshall said. ''But when I was laying on the ground, I was just scared.''

Marshall was the most seriously injured. He suffered a concussion and multiple bruises to his head and eye. He said he spent five nights in the critical care unit at Akron General Medical Center.

The construction worker said he now fears for his family's safety, and the thousands of dollars in medical bills he faces without insurance.

''I knew I was going to get beat, but not as bad as I did,'' Marshall said. ''But I did it to protect my family. I didn't have a choice. There was no need for this. We should be all getting along. But to me, it seems to be racist.''

Akron police are investigating. Right now, the case is not being classified as a racial hate crime. There were no other reports of victims assaulted by the group that night.

The department's gang unit is involved in the investigation, police said.

''We don't know if it's a known gang, or just a group of kids,'' police Lt. Rick Edwards said.

The Marshalls say they fear retaliation at home or when they go outside. They are considering arming themselves, but they're concerned about the possible problems that come with guns.

For now, they are hoping police can bring them suspects. They believe they can identify several of the attackers.

''This makes you think about your freedom,'' Marshall said. ''In all reality, where is your freedom when you have this going on?''

Is that what "real men" use these days? Pshaw, I thought real men killed with their bare hands.

:tsk: Amateurs.

The original article wasn't about gangsters or hardcore ideological racists; it's about what ostensibly 'respectable, good law-abiding citizens' will do if they can get away with it. Had it been about the unsurprising fact that for instance African-Americans aren't welcome at 'White Identity' Church services either, or that some bar brawl somewhere was apparently triggered by some white (or black) person's racist outburst, no one would bat an eye. Granted, what makes someone a 'respectable, good citizen type' is a bit of a judgment call, but realistically most people expect less from gang members or lowlife rednecks than they do from working professionals where racial sensibilities are concerned.

There was a 12 year old boy on CNN-I can't get their video to work but essentially he said he was there and heard some of the white parents say that they things to the effect why are there so many black kids here and we're afraid they might try to steal or hurt us/our kids in some way. He was crying and said it was so hurtful to him because "we are just like them and I thought we were past things like that". It was very sad.

Some people claim that they said "all those black kids" as just a descriptive term. So I assume if a bunch of white kids did same they would say "bunch of white kids" and they might steal and harm. Yeah. Or that little boy just misheard or is making it all up...

I once killed a man with my stare.
You should have waited for the government to help you. :wink:

I talked to a friend of mine who said he was jumped on two different occasions.

One was a case like this. Four people. This time he had his gun. Didn't need to shoot anyone. All he had to say was "I'm going to use it if you don't leave me alone."

The thugs ran away. Problem solved.

HUNTINGDON VALLEY, Pa. (AP) — A suburban Philadelphia swim club accused of kicking out a group of minority children visiting from the city denies any racial discrimination.

In a statement posted on its Web site Thursday afternoon, The Valley Club in Huntingdon Valley says accusations of racism toward the Creative Steps day camp are untrue.

The statement says the club doesn't have the capacity to deal with outside groups and returned funds to more than one camp.

Creative Steps director Alethea Wright says the camp paid for weekly swim time. But she says during a trip there June 29 some of the children said they heard people asking what "black kids" were doing at the club.

In its statement, the club calls its membership diverse and says any comments that may or may not have been made by members are not shared by its board.

I did read somewhere that the club said it was a capacity thing. They did refund all 3 outside groups that paid for use.

That some kids claim they heard some people say 'black' is not that surprising. The club can not control what people say. They can control what their official policies are.

If a large group arrive all at once all wearing "red' swim suits. They may have over heard parents saying what are all these red swimsuit kids doing here.

I am writing this from the perspective of giving the Club Owners the benefit of the doubt.

When I started this thread is was from the opposite position.

And the burden of proof should rest on the accuser.

Back
Top Bottom