Is philosophy dead? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
The arrogance of the modern age is that we know nothing but don't even realise that we know nothing. Those Japanese nuclear plants were regarded as cutting edge, or at least better designed than those in most countries.

As a strict materialist atheist, I believe that human problems will ultimately be solved by science rather than the branch of religion known as philosophy.

The Bible won't work nowadays.
Science is God.

~From the film Noah's Ark 1928

Old 04-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
The arrogance of the modern age is that we know nothing but don't even realise that we know nothing. Those Japanese nuclear plants were regarded as cutting edge, or at least better designed than those in most countries.

As a strict materialist atheist, I believe that human problems will ultimately be solved by science rather than the branch of religion known as philosophy.
From what I read the Japanese plant in question was old and was supposed to be shutdown this year. I think cutting edge would be thorium plants.

Regarding philosophy I think there's a good use for it in ethics and for emotional well-being as opposed to replacing hard sciences. In the end all these categories are simplifications for focus but reality doesn't have these concepts. They are all important in their prospective fields and need to draw on each other to create a bigger picture for humans to act.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #18
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:59 AM
Surely there is still plenty of room for philosophy given that that there is plenty we still do not know, the philosophy of the mind, must surely be relevant still, and philosophers postulated many ideas in physics long before scientists could prove or test them.

Maybe it's a side effect of specialization, with so much information required to truly know each scientific field these days, that our great thinkers are too narrowly focused, Dawkins is great in his field but not so much outside it, maybe philosophy in science at least suffers.