Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a liberal, and the chances of me ever voting for a Republican of any stripe is slim, but I really believe that it would be a good thing for this country if the "real" conservatives(aka the ones who aren't neocons, who aren't crazy, who aren't religious nuts) found a way to take their party back. I won't agree with them on much of anything, but at least they have rationality and logic. The amount of power these so-called neo-cons have amassed in recent years makes me feel uneasy. There are real, intelligent, thoughtful conservatives out there and the country would only be better off if they found a way to take their party back from this group of lunatics that has taken it over. I will still disagree with them on most everything, but at least I could possibly respect them and not be fearful of them in power.

I agree with pretty much all of that, and I've been heartened to see the number of Republican politicians speak out against the neo-con movement this election cycle. Good luck to them as they attempt to rescue their party. :up:

We had a Sarah Palin rise onto the national scene here about a decade a go. Pauline Hanson. She wildly successful for a brief period of time. Last I saw of her, she was on Dancing With the Stars, after years of failed bids to re-start her political career. I sincerely hope Palin is destined for the same.

I wondered if that was the same Pauline Hanson! :lol:

I saw the name in an article a couple of weeks ago and thought to myself, "wasn't Pauline Hanson that whack-job Aussie politician? Nah, that can't possibly be her." :lmao:

And I share your hope for Sarah Palin. ;)

We had a Sarah Palin rise onto the national scene here about a decade a go. Pauline Hanson. She wildly successful for a brief period of time. Last I saw of her, she was on Dancing With the Stars, after years of failed bids to re-start her political career. I sincerely hope Palin is destined for the same.

After my deserved spankins, this made me laugh. I might actually watch an episode to see that.

Tell me if any of this sounds familiar: From a hick part of the country, ‘real’ background (Experience: ran a local take away store), was first elected as a local councilor before running for a seat in the national House of Representatives (Congress equivalent). She ran as part of the mainstream conservative party here, but during the campaign some of her more racist views came to light and the party disendorsed her. She ended up getting elected anyway as an Independent. Gave a pretty crazy and somewhat racist speech to Parliament which is where she really became a national disgrace/joke, but it only cemented her love from the far right. Started her own party called, wait for it, One Nation (is Country First coming?) and peeled off a decent amount of support from the ignorant/mildly racist/redneck far right vote of the main conservative party. It was pretty wild for about a year or two there – the party had some very real and stunning success in her home state of Queensland (redneck) - but it all collapsed for her just as quickly. She actually ended up doing jail time for electoral fraud. Then, yes, Dancing With the Stars.

Tell me if any of this sounds familiar:
Hanson said openly xenophobic things about immigrants and minorities on several occasions, as I recall--statements to the effect that Aboriginal community representatives are mostly thugs and criminals, Australia is being overrun by Asians, etc., correct me if I'm wrong. Palin certainly doesn't make those kinds of comments. She does have a fondness for classic populist-demagogue rhetoric ("Real America" being the most blatant example), which of course traditionally plays well with xenophobic types and could in that sense be argued to be a 'coded' appeal to them. But it's really hard to prove something like that.

No, you’re right, and I wasn’t thinking of the comparison in that kind of detail. More just the ‘real’ candidate/poster-woman for the far right of conservatism, comes out of nowhere, goes perhaps too far, creates a decent split among conservative support etc. Palin hasn't done that yet, but you could easily see her becoming a leader/rallying point for the right end of the Republican spectrum and causing more than a few headaches along the way. There certainly seem to be a few rumblings of it already.

Once I saw the residency salary charts, it was a real easy decision to go to law school. :sexywink:

:lol: Tell me about it. My brother finished law school two years ago, has paid off most of his loans, and is already making more than I will even for the first few years after I finish in June. Ugh.

Somebody dig up some past associations of Joe The Plumber. Maybe he's got some videotapes too.

BOWLING GREEN, Ohio (CNN) – Sarah Palin thrust Barack Obama’s relationship with a Palestinian academic into the national spotlight on Wednesday at a rally in Ohio — a tactic reminiscent of her repeated attempts to tie Obama to former radical William Ayers.

Palin kicked off her rally in Bowling Green by stressing, as she always does, that “it is not negative campaigning to call someone out on their record.” In recent weeks Palin has used that line to open up an attack on Obama’s tax plans. On Wednesday, she tried something different.

“It seems that there is yet another radical professor from the neighborhood who spent a lot of time with Barack Obama going back several years,” Palin said. “This is important because his associate, Rashid Khalidi, he, in addition to being a political ally of Barack Obama, he's a former spokesperson for the Paliestinian Liberation Organization.”

Khalidi — whose name Palin mispronounced — is currently a leading scholar of Middle Eastern Studies at Columbia University, and was a contemporary of Obama’s while on faculty at the University of Chicago.

Khalidi has been a stern critic of United States foreign policy towards Israel and has accused the country of “occupying” Palestinian territories, but he has denied acting as a spokesman for the PLO.

The Los Angeles Times reported in April that Obama praised Khalidi at a 2003 going-away party for the professor when he left Chicago. The McCain campaign has pressured the Times to publicly release a videotape of the event, but the newspaper has refused, citing the request of a source.

Palin said the public has a right to know what Obama said at the event.

“And the twist here is that there's a videotape of a party for this person, back in 2003, a celebration of him, and Barack was there, and we know some very derogatory things were said there about Israel and America's support for that great nation,” Palin said.

“And among other things, Israel was described there as the perpetrator of terrorism instead of the victim. What we don't know, what we don't know is how Barack Obama responded to these slurs on a country that he now professes to support, and the reason is the newspaper that has the tape, the Los Angeles Times, refuses to release it.”

Palin accused the Times of being Obama’s “pet newspaper” and said the paper would win a Pulitzer Prize for “excelling in cow-towing.”

The Republican vice presidential nominee was joined at her Ohio rally by Joe Wurzelbacher, known to the world as Joe the plumber. It was the first time the celebrated small business owner has appeared with Palin on the stump.

Palin described Wurzelbacher as “a fellow Alaskan” because he once lived near Fairbanks.

Can she just go back to Alaska already?

I don't get this love for Israel. I don't have anything against them, but it just seems so odd that someone would be so in love with one country.

It was actually kind of embarrassing to watch during the VP debates. Yes they're our friend, but where's the love for England while we're at it?

So one family represents hollywood?

Do you represent Alberta?

But yeah it's completely uncalled for...

Speaking of halloween and canidates, check this out:

Think Progress � Amazon lists Obama Halloween mask as a ‘terrorist costume.’

I don't know why anyone would want to call attention to themselves that way. Teenagers could get beat up with that mask and someone could light that Palin lyncher's house on fire. I don't even want signs on my lawn now that people have fun breaking them.

160_ap_palin_effigy_081029.jpg

Mito Aviles, left, and ChadMichael Morrisette stand in front of the effigy of candidate Sarah Palin placed on their home in West Hollywood.

(these guys aren't helping the no on Prop 8 vote, so much for tolerance)

Palin Effigy Hanging from a Noose is Not a Hate Crime Say Los Angeles Police

Donovan said the Secret Service tries to determine the motive behind displays like the one in California.

"These effigies or other similar visual presentations could ... be an intent to intimidate people," he said. "Through interviews or further investigation, when they're brought to our attention, we're proactive in addressing these matters."

Whitmore said he visited the house where the effigy is displayed on Tuesday morning to get a look at it -- a mannequin wearing "Palin-style" glasses, a brown beehive wig and a red coat, dangling by a thick white rope coiled around its neck.

Sheriffs have gotten between five and 10 angry phone calls from residents who say they're offended by the Halloween lawn exhibit, Sgt. Kristin Aloma of the L.A. Sheriff's Department's West Hollywood unit told the Times.

Authorities are keeping an eye on the neighborhood and the house, she added.

The mayor of West Hollywood, meanwhile, wants the mannequin taken down.

"While these residents have the legal right to display Sen. John McCain and Gov. Sarah Palin in effigy, I strongly oppose political speech that references violence -- real or perceived," Mayor Jeffrey Prang said in a prepared statement.

"I urge these residents to take down their display and find more constructive ways to express their opinion."

In addition to including more typical Halloween paraphernalia like skeletons and spider webs, the display also has a John McCain figure in a chimney with fake flames around him, according to the Times.

Chad Michael Morrisette, who lives in the house, said the exhibit has become something of a tourist attraction, with visitors stopping frequently to take photos.

Morrisette acknowledged that if the display were of Barack Obama, instead of Palin, there might have been more of an uproar.

"The image of a hanged black man is a lot more intense than the image of a hanged white woman, for our country and the history of our country," Morrisette told KCBS-TV.

Not a hate crime? I tend to agree.

If it was an effigy of Obama,
I would want it taken down immediately.

(these guys aren't helping the no on Prop 8 vote)
True, unfortunately.

I read that their neighbors have been standing at the curb holding up bedsheets to prevent passers-by from viewing the display, as a protest of sorts.

Last edited:
Harmless camp, no one will care. Hanging an effigy by a noose is a wee bit different.

why should either have anything to do with Prop 8?
Neither should, neither rationally does. It could only stir up people who already tend towards hostile stereotypes. But why risk giving them the ammo? No one needs the attention-getter of hanging a candidate for national office in effigy on their lawn.

Back
Top Bottom