Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 4 - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2008, 11:28 PM   #61
She's the One

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
Some people think neither candidate best represents them or will lead the country in a positive direction.
I can understand that.

I can't. Pick one and get on with it. Neither one is going to be 100% with anyone, but geez, there are major differences between the two of them.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:53 PM   #62
Refugee

Local Time: 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
He thinks he's going to win (I mean, would a presidential candidate ever publicly say otherwise?) and guarantees that it's going to be a close race.
See, now that sort of talk worries me. Like when he's down in the polls by this much and still says shit like that.

It's sort of like back in 2000, when the exit polls were coming in and showing us that Bush was lagging behind and taking the state. But Karl Rove assured us that in this one instance, the exit polls were somehow wrong and that we should wait and see. Then, sure enough, Bush miraculously "wins" the state, just like Karl said.

This is why that sort of talk worries me. It's like they know something we don't.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:57 PM
More from a drunkard and an atheist
Quote:
In an election that has been fought on an astoundingly low cultural and intellectual level, with both candidates pretending that tax cuts can go like peaches and cream with the staggering new levels of federal deficit, and paltry charges being traded in petty ways, and with Joe the Plumber becoming the emblematic stupidity of the campaign, it didn't seem possible that things could go any lower or get any dumber. But they did last Friday, when, at a speech in Pittsburgh, Gov. Sarah Palin denounced wasteful expenditure on fruit-fly research, adding for good xenophobic and anti-elitist measure that some of this research took place "in Paris, France" and winding up with a folksy "I kid you not."

It was in 1933 that Thomas Hunt Morgan won a Nobel Prize for showing that genes are passed on by way of chromosomes. The experimental creature that he employed in the making of this great discovery was the Drosophila melanogaster, or fruit fly. Scientists of various sorts continue to find it a very useful resource, since it can be easily and plentifully "cultured" in a laboratory, has a very short generation time, and displays a great variety of mutation. This makes it useful in studying disease, and since Gov. Palin was in Pittsburgh to talk about her signature "issue" of disability and special needs, she might even have had some researcher tell her that there is a Drosophila-based center for research into autism at the University of North Carolina. The fruit fly can also be a menace to American agriculture, so any financing of research into its habits and mutations is money well-spent. It's especially ridiculous and unfortunate that the governor chose to make such a fool of herself in Pittsburgh, a great city that remade itself after the decline of coal and steel into a center of high-tech medical research.
The GOP ticket's appalling contempt for science and learning. - By Christopher Hitchens - Slate Magazine
Old 10-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:57 AM
Hand in hand with her ridiculous statement on climate change “the cause doesn’t matter as long as we find a solution”. Umm….
Old 10-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #65
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:57 AM
Palin knows this election is over. she's making herself the base candidate for 2012.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Another excerpt:

Quote:
This is what the Republican Party has done to us this year: It has placed within reach of the Oval Office a woman who is a religious fanatic and a proud, boastful ignoramus. Those who despise science and learning are not anti-elitist. They are morally and intellectually slothful people who are secretly envious of the educated and the cultured. And those who prate of spiritual warfare and demons are not just "people of faith" but theocratic bullies. On Nov. 4, anyone who cares for the Constitution has a clear duty to repudiate this wickedness and stupidity.
But don't say that around here, STING will jump all over you.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
But don't say that around here, STING will jump all over you.

the important thing here is what Tim Kaine thinks.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #68
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:57 PM
I think that anybody who has done undergraduate biology may have some contempt for Drosophila, but only on account of having to count hundreds of maggots and flies in different growth jars

Found this on Pharyngula
Quote:
Walker A Jones
EUROPEAN BIOLOGICAL CONTROL RESEARCH
Director
CS90013 MONTFERRIER SUR LEZ
34988 ST. GELY DU FESC CEDEX
MONTPELLIER,

Research Project: DISCOVERY, BIOLOGY AND ECOLOGY OF NATURAL ENEMIES OF INSECT PESTS OF CROPS, URBAN AND NATURAL AREAS 2007 Annual Report

1a.Objectives (from AD-416) Explore for natural enemies (pathogens, parasites and predators) in the native range of insect pests identified as high priority targets by the ARS National Program Staff. Identify, colonize and evaluate the most promising natural enemies and ship to U.S. cooperators. Results of laboratory and field studies will be used to improve the ability to predict key factors for application to future programs. Key target pests include the Asian longhorned beetle(Anoplophora glabripennis), emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis), wheat stem sawfly (Cephus cinctus), olive fly (Bactrocera oleae), Formosan subterranean termite (Coptotermes formosanus), and plant bugs (several species).

NP304, Component V: Pest Control Technologies. A key natural enemy of the olive fruit fly in Africa is discovered and shipped to California. The olive fruit fly threatens olive production in California. Long known in the Old World, it invaded California without its co-evolved natural enemies. Among several parasitic wasps discovered from Eurasia and Africa, one from Kenya, and southern Africa was showed to be specific to olive fruit fly. Extensive collections in Kenya, South Africa and Namibia yielded several thousand olive fruit flies which were shipped to the ARS laboratory in France for processing. Seventeen shipments containing over 13,000 parasitic wasps (Psyttalia lounsburyi) were subsequently shipped to California for evaluation and release. If successfully established, it is highly likely that pesticide use and associated costs will be substantially reduced. This activity was accomplished in cooperation with USDA-APHIS, the California Department of Food and Agriculture, and the University of California, Berkeley.
So apparently not Drosophila melanogaster, so it is more about the GOP hating farmers.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
the important thing here is what Tim Kaine thinks.
You want to hear all his 1441 thoughts?
Old 10-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
I think that anybody who has done undergraduate biology may have some contempt for Drosophila, but only on account of having to count hundreds of maggots and flies in different growth jars
A grad student I knew spent countless weeks and months removing the drosophila's ovaries. Imagine the fun to be had there.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #71
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I just can't believe people are still undecided. It's not like the two candidates are indistinguishable.
I can't either. I got an email today from a friend trying to tell me of some M.Obama story that was not true (according to Snopes). I asked her who she was voting for, and she said she didn't know. Originally, she was gonna vote for Hillary, and apparently doesn't like either candidate. She didn't elaborate further.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #72
She's the One

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
Originally, she was gonna vote for Hillary, and
This is the shit I really don't get at all. Hillary and Obama have virtually identical platforms, so WTF?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:10 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Not to mention the fact that it sounds like a person shouts out the N word about Sen Obama and Sarah Palin says NOTHING. If that did happen that's depressing beyond words. It happens shortly after :30. That's what people are saying is said and it sounds like it could be, my speakers aren't that great.

YouTube - Palin Bizarre Rant Warns of Communist Nightmare State
Old 10-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I can’t tell. It sounds like it, but probably only because I was looking for it. Whatever it was, it rattles her for a second. I can’t believe that would be allowed past though. Stupidity allows someone to call out Muslim or Terrorist and get away with it, both from the crowd and the stage, but I would think that even among that audience, someone bellowing the N word would get a negative reaction. Surely. At least from some of the crowd.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:21 PM   #75
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
This is the shit I really don't get at all. Hillary and Obama have virtually identical platforms, so WTF?
That's basically what I said back to her. I never heard from her again today.
I had been emailing political stuff I find on the forum & that I receive from a good friend around to others. And then this person's husband responded back, like 'can't we all get along'. The next email I got from him was talking about how Obama is a muslim and muslim extremists did this and that etc., and do you want this muslim as your next president. I kindly asked that he refrain from sending me further bullshit. So I stopped sending either of them stuff. Today, she sent me a picture of an alleged receipt from Michelle Obama at the Waldorf Astoria in NY ordering a fancy meal for $400+. I checked snopes.com, and it said it was false; I even think it mentioned Michelle was not in NY at the time. But the premise of the email was to state that she & by association, her husband, were elite & spending all this money for room service. I didn't see any mention about Palin's wardrobe