Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 4 - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2008, 03:44 PM   #241
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Does she know what the First Amendment is and exactly who can take it away?
Dick Cheney, right?

Old 10-31-2008, 03:48 PM   #242
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
boston.com

Posted by Foon Rhee, deputy national political editor October 31, 2008 10:02 AM

Sarah Palin continues to draw enthusiastic crowds, usually bigger than her running mate's, but there are new signs that her selection as the Republican vice presidential nominee is backfiring.

A New York Times/CBS News poll published today found that increasing numbers of voters have doubts about Palin's readiness; 59 percent of voters said she was not qualified to be vice president, and nearly a third said the candidates' VP picks would be a major factor in their vote.

And former Secretary of State Lawrence Eagleburger, whose endorsement John McCain has brandished to rebut Colin Powell's support of Barack Obama, strayed way off message.

In an interview Thursday with National Public Radio, Eagleburger was asked whether Palin could assume the presidency during a crisis.

"It is a very good question," he said before pausing and adding with a chuckle: "I'm being facetious here. Look, of course not."

"I don't think at the moment she is prepared to take over the reigns of the presidency. I can name for you any number of other vice presidents who were not particularly up to it either. So the question, I think, is can she learn and would she be tough enough under the circumstances if she were asked to become president, heaven forbid that that ever takes place?

"Give her some time in the office and I think the answer would be, she will be [pause] adequate. I can't say that she would be a genius in the job. But I think she would be enough to get us through a four year... well I hope not... get us through whatever period of time was necessary. And I devoutly hope that it would never be tested."
They all, including Eagleburger, need a lecture by Strongbow... not ready/qualified for the job.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:42 PM   #243
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:24 PM
I keep telling you people that Sarah Palin is genuinely stupid.

I don't know why we have to couch it in polite terms.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:45 PM   #244
She's the One

Local Time: 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
And, like most of the stupid, she's proud of it.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:46 PM   #245
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:24 PM
Because she's a woman. We'll just call it reverse sexism. If she was a man, nobody would have any qualms about calling her Dan Quayle II: Electric Bugaloo. And that's probably an insult to the intelligence of Danny Boy.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:00 PM   #246
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I am so sorry for this being kind of off topic, I don't know where to ask this, but where is the thread that had the dancing kids singing a song about Obama?
It is in one of the FYM threads, presidential, I think. (thats why I am asking it here)
They were in school uniforms, totally rockin' it out.
I went through all my subscribed threads, and cannot find it.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:28 PM   #247
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
And, like most of the stupid, she's proud of it.
I am very happy that Obama called them out and said that these people are proud of being ignorant.

I don't care one iota about what STING peddles here - the Republican party has become anti-intellectual, anti-curiosity, where ignorance and stupidity are positive qualities to aspire to, and going to the best schools on scholarships and merit are worthy of sneering at.

My one set of grandparents was the definition of elites, both had PhDs, when that was still not particularly common for women of my grandmother's era. My other set were farmers, and my grandmother who only finished the 5th grade worked multiple jobs her entire life to make sure that her children and grandchildren would be as educated as possible. If she could see now what is going on, she would be horrified.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:06 PM   #248
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:24 PM
What Palin's argument(?) really reminded me of is this one white supremacist organization, can't recall its name right now, that every year in the spring submits a long, rambling Holocaust-denial 'opinion piece' to various college newspapers around the country, along with a letter complaining about how their opinion has been 'suppressed,' i.e. rejected, by many papers, and how they hope the present one will be brave enough to stand up for 'our First Amendment rights' by running the piece. And every year there are a few papers that print it, usually with some convoluted disclaimer to the effect of 'While we find this piece deeply offensive and suspect many readers will too, we feel it's critical that we take a stand in favor of everyone's right to freely express their opinions, no matter how unpopular.' My undergrad school's paper did this, a couple colleges here in Indiana did it a few years ago too. It always makes me smack my forehead in disbelief that any college newspaper editor could be dumb enough to fall for this garbage--sure, the First Amendment protects newspapers' rights to run such pieces, and it also protects this organization's right to write them, but it does NOT obligate newspapers to run them lest they too be guilty of 'violating' the authors' First Amendment rights! Either you consider this a deeply controversial but ultimately meritorious piece that deserves to be heard by your readers, or you don't--run it on the former logic if you like, but please, none of this bullshit about how you find this piece so deeply offensive, yet precisely for that reason you feel compelled to take a courageous stand in support of the First Amendment by printing it. Now I'm not comparing Palin's actual criticism of Obama's "associations" to a Holocaust denial argument, but the way her words today seemed to suggest that criticism from columnists and reporters somehow constitutes a threat to her First Amendment rights, I couldn't help being reminded of this organization's self-servingly twisted 'logic'.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:12 PM   #249
She's the One

They may be some of her constituents.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:54 PM   #250
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night & Day View Post
I am so sorry for this being kind of off topic, I don't know where to ask this, but where is the thread that had the dancing kids singing a song about Obama?
It is in one of the FYM threads, presidential, I think. (thats why I am asking it here)
They were in school uniforms, totally rockin' it out.
I went through all my subscribed threads, and cannot find it.
It's the "you can vote for whoever you want" or something like that, right? It's in the blogs.

Unico's blog, I think.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:57 PM   #251
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
"If [the media] convince enough voters that that is negative campaigning, for me to call Barack Obama out on his associations," Palin told host Chris Plante, "then I don't know what the future of our country would be in terms of First Amendment rights and our ability to ask questions without fear of attacks by the mainstream media."
That statement is so stupid and defying in logic that it makes my brain hurt.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:56 PM   #252
Blue Crack Distributor

I hope they're not holding their breath.

adn.com | Alaska Politics Blog : Gail Phillips, Chancy Croft want apology from McCain over Monegan, Alaskans

Gail Phillips, Chancy Croft want apology from McCain over Monegan, Alaskans

From David Hulen in Anchorage -

Here's a letter written earlier this week to Sen. John McCain from former Alaska House Speaker Gail Phillips, a Republican from Homer, and former Alaska Senate President Chancy Croft, a Democrat from Anchorage. Phillips e-mailed it to news media today. They ask for an apology "from your campaign to Alaskans and our former Commissioner of Public Safety, Walt Monegan."

No response from the campaign.

Here's the letter:

October 28, 2008

Honorable Senator John McCain
John McCain 2008
P.O. Box 16118
Arlington, VA 22215

Dear Senator McCain:

We are writing because we believe an apology is owed from your campaign to Alaskans and our former Commissioner of Public Safety, Walt Monegan. As former legislative leaders of both major political parties in Alaska, we haven’t always agreed upon political issues. However, we adamantly agree that Mr. Monegan, who is well respected in Alaska by people of all party affiliations, is owed an apology. The attacks against Commissioner Monegan for his role in administering a personnel issue, now known statewide as “Troopergate”, were unwarranted and wrong. Mr. Monegan is a former U.S. Marine, a front-line police officer, was Chief of Police in Anchorage, Alaska’s largest city, served as our State’s Commissioner of Public Safety and served both Republicans and Democrats with professionalism and honor.

This summer Governor Palin fired Mr. Monegan as Commissioner, which was within her purview. However, in July, the Legislature, through unanimous action by the bi-partisan Legislative Council, voted to investigate Commissioner Monegan’s termination and whether his refusal to fire Trooper Wooten played a role in his termination. The investigation had nothing to do with your campaign.

After Governor Palin was named as your running mate, your campaign stepped into the fray. In an effort to discredit and stop the bi-partisan legislative investigation into whether or not Governor Palin acted improperly in seeking the termination of her former brother-in-law, Trooper Wooten, your campaign engaged in a near-daily course of personal attacks against Mr. Monegan and members of the legislature. It’s obvious to many of us that you probably were not aware of these attacks by your campaign committee; however, since the final responsibility is yours, we feel Mr. Monegan is owed an apology from you.

In an effort to halt the bi-partisan investigation, your campaign staff tried to vilify Commissioner Monegan. Before Governor Palin was selected to your presidential ticket, she had agreed to the investigation; she publicly said it was justified and that she and her staff would cooperate with the investigation. She stated to the press that the public had a right to be concerned whether or not her administration may have placed improper pressure on the State Department of Public Safety to fire her former brother-in-law.

Following Governor Palin’s selection as your running mate, your campaign sent staff to Alaska to try to stop the investigation that Governor Palin had previously agreed to. Your campaign staff accused the legislative action as partisan in spite of the fact that the unanimous vote of the Legislative Council was bi-partisan.

Your campaign accused Mr. Monegan of being a “rogue”, of being insubordinate and other defamatory statements. To justify your involvement in this Alaskan issue and the Governor’s termination of Commissioner Monegan, your campaign continually changed the excuses for his termination. The various and changing excuses given by your campaign speaks clearly to the lack of credibility in its involvement.

Despite your campaign’s efforts to stop the investigation in court, and by public pressure, the investigation was recently completed. On October 10th the investigative report was released and the independent investigator, Steve Branchflower, concluded that the Governor had violated the State’s Executive Ethics statute by pressuring for the termination of Mr. Wooten from his position as an Alaskan State Trooper. The investigation also found that one of the probable reasons Commissioner Monegan was terminated was his refusal to fire the Governor’s former brother-in-law.

We acknowledge the authority the Governor has for terminating Commissioners; however, your campaign’s interference into this State matter and attempts to discredit Commissioner Monegan for campaign purposes is very troubling. Both the vilification of Mr. Monegan and the attempts by your campaign to stop the investigation were wrong.

We respectfully request an apology from your campaign to Mr. Monegan. He is a good man who has put his life on the line for Alaskans many times and he deserves better treatment from you and your campaign. Not only have the personal attacks from your campaign deeply affected and hurt the Monegan family, but also the people of Alaska who care and respect Mr. Monegan.

Sincerely,

Gail Phillips
Former Speaker of the Alaska House of Representatives

Chancy Croft
Former President of the Alaska State Senate
Old 10-31-2008, 09:23 PM   #253
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
It's the "you can vote for whoever you want" or something like that, right? It's in the blogs.

Unico's blog, I think.

double

Thank you Indra.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #254
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
What Palin's argument(?) really reminded me of is this one white supremacist organization, can't recall its name right now, that every year in the spring submits a long, rambling Holocaust-denial 'opinion piece' to various college newspapers around the country, along with a letter complaining about how their opinion has been 'suppressed,' i.e. rejected, by many papers, and how they hope the present one will be brave enough to stand up for 'our First Amendment rights' by running the piece. And every year there are a few papers that print it, usually with some convoluted disclaimer to the effect of 'While we find this piece deeply offensive and suspect many readers will too, we feel it's critical that we take a stand in favor of everyone's right to freely express their opinions, no matter how unpopular.' My undergrad school's paper did this, a couple colleges here in Indiana did it a few years ago too. It always makes me smack my forehead in disbelief that any college newspaper editor could be dumb enough to fall for this garbage--sure, the First Amendment protects newspapers' rights to run such pieces, and it also protects this organization's right to write them, but it does NOT obligate newspapers to run them lest they too be guilty of 'violating' the authors' First Amendment rights! Either you consider this a deeply controversial but ultimately meritorious piece that deserves to be heard by your readers, or you don't--run it on the former logic if you like, but please, none of this bullshit about how you find this piece so deeply offensive, yet precisely for that reason you feel compelled to take a courageous stand in support of the First Amendment by printing it. Now I'm not comparing Palin's actual criticism of Obama's "associations" to a Holocaust denial argument, but the way her words today seemed to suggest that criticism from columnists and reporters somehow constitutes a threat to her First Amendment rights, I couldn't help being reminded of this organization's self-servingly twisted 'logic'.

the creationists do this too. and the ex-gay crowd.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #255
Refugee

Local Time: 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

I don't know why we have to couch it in polite terms.

And George W. Bush, who was your President for eight years isn't?????