Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 4 - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #181
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:01 AM
backatcha

sneaks out before a mod lays the smack down

Old 10-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #182
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post

I am a liberal, and the chances of me ever voting for a Republican of any stripe is slim, but I really believe that it would be a good thing for this country if the "real" conservatives(aka the ones who aren't neocons, who aren't crazy, who aren't religious nuts) found a way to take their party back. I won't agree with them on much of anything, but at least they have rationality and logic. The amount of power these so-called neo-cons have amassed in recent years makes me feel uneasy. There are real, intelligent, thoughtful conservatives out there and the country would only be better off if they found a way to take their party back from this group of lunatics that has taken it over. I will still disagree with them on most everything, but at least I could possibly respect them and not be fearful of them in power.
I agree with pretty much all of that, and I've been heartened to see the number of Republican politicians speak out against the neo-con movement this election cycle. Good luck to them as they attempt to rescue their party.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #183
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
backatcha

sneaks out before a mod lays the smack down

hides behind Lila and pretends to be invisible
Old 10-28-2008, 11:50 PM   #184
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
I wish I knew! With my $160,000 in med school loans and my resident's salary, all of my political leanings are rooted in the envy that I have for rich people!

good thing you live in Communist Arlington.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #185
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
We had a Sarah Palin rise onto the national scene here about a decade a go. Pauline Hanson. She wildly successful for a brief period of time. Last I saw of her, she was on Dancing With the Stars, after years of failed bids to re-start her political career. I sincerely hope Palin is destined for the same.
I wondered if that was the same Pauline Hanson!

I saw the name in an article a couple of weeks ago and thought to myself, "wasn't Pauline Hanson that whack-job Aussie politician? Nah, that can't possibly be her."

And I share your hope for Sarah Palin.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:36 AM   #186
She's the One

Local Time: 06:01 AM
Quote:
We had a Sarah Palin rise onto the national scene here about a decade a go. Pauline Hanson. She wildly successful for a brief period of time. Last I saw of her, she was on Dancing With the Stars, after years of failed bids to re-start her political career. I sincerely hope Palin is destined for the same.

After my deserved spankins, this made me laugh. I might actually watch an episode to see that.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:58 AM   #187
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Tell me if any of this sounds familiar: From a hick part of the country, ‘real’ background (Experience: ran a local take away store), was first elected as a local councilor before running for a seat in the national House of Representatives (Congress equivalent). She ran as part of the mainstream conservative party here, but during the campaign some of her more racist views came to light and the party disendorsed her. She ended up getting elected anyway as an Independent. Gave a pretty crazy and somewhat racist speech to Parliament which is where she really became a national disgrace/joke, but it only cemented her love from the far right. Started her own party called, wait for it, One Nation (is Country First coming?) and peeled off a decent amount of support from the ignorant/mildly racist/redneck far right vote of the main conservative party. It was pretty wild for about a year or two there – the party had some very real and stunning success in her home state of Queensland (redneck) - but it all collapsed for her just as quickly. She actually ended up doing jail time for electoral fraud. Then, yes, Dancing With the Stars.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:27 AM   #188
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:01 AM
Lila

I have my struggles, my bills and worries too, but I know things could be worse for me.
I am sorry you have so many.

I hope that things get better.

sigh.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:49 AM   #189
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Tell me if any of this sounds familiar:
Hanson said openly xenophobic things about immigrants and minorities on several occasions, as I recall--statements to the effect that Aboriginal community representatives are mostly thugs and criminals, Australia is being overrun by Asians, etc., correct me if I'm wrong. Palin certainly doesn't make those kinds of comments. She does have a fondness for classic populist-demagogue rhetoric ("Real America" being the most blatant example), which of course traditionally plays well with xenophobic types and could in that sense be argued to be a 'coded' appeal to them. But it's really hard to prove something like that.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:55 AM   #190
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

No, you’re right, and I wasn’t thinking of the comparison in that kind of detail. More just the ‘real’ candidate/poster-woman for the far right of conservatism, comes out of nowhere, goes perhaps too far, creates a decent split among conservative support etc. Palin hasn't done that yet, but you could easily see her becoming a leader/rallying point for the right end of the Republican spectrum and causing more than a few headaches along the way. There certainly seem to be a few rumblings of it already.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:00 AM   #191
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:01 AM
What makes a protectionist bitch right wing?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #192
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Once I saw the residency salary charts, it was a real easy decision to go to law school.
Tell me about it. My brother finished law school two years ago, has paid off most of his loans, and is already making more than I will even for the first few years after I finish in June. Ugh.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #193
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
Tell me about it. My brother finished law school two years ago, has paid off most of his loans, and is already making more than I will even for the first few years after I finish in June. Ugh.
Awww. Look at it this way. You don't hear people making evil pediatrician jokes, do you?
Old 10-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #194
Blue Crack Addict

Somebody dig up some past associations of Joe The Plumber. Maybe he's got some videotapes too.

BOWLING GREEN, Ohio (CNN) – Sarah Palin thrust Barack Obama’s relationship with a Palestinian academic into the national spotlight on Wednesday at a rally in Ohio — a tactic reminiscent of her repeated attempts to tie Obama to former radical William Ayers.

Palin kicked off her rally in Bowling Green by stressing, as she always does, that “it is not negative campaigning to call someone out on their record.” In recent weeks Palin has used that line to open up an attack on Obama’s tax plans. On Wednesday, she tried something different.

“It seems that there is yet another radical professor from the neighborhood who spent a lot of time with Barack Obama going back several years,” Palin said. “This is important because his associate, Rashid Khalidi, he, in addition to being a political ally of Barack Obama, he's a former spokesperson for the Paliestinian Liberation Organization.”

Khalidi — whose name Palin mispronounced — is currently a leading scholar of Middle Eastern Studies at Columbia University, and was a contemporary of Obama’s while on faculty at the University of Chicago.

Khalidi has been a stern critic of United States foreign policy towards Israel and has accused the country of “occupying” Palestinian territories, but he has denied acting as a spokesman for the PLO.

The Los Angeles Times reported in April that Obama praised Khalidi at a 2003 going-away party for the professor when he left Chicago. The McCain campaign has pressured the Times to publicly release a videotape of the event, but the newspaper has refused, citing the request of a source.

Palin said the public has a right to know what Obama said at the event.

“And the twist here is that there's a videotape of a party for this person, back in 2003, a celebration of him, and Barack was there, and we know some very derogatory things were said there about Israel and America's support for that great nation,” Palin said.

“And among other things, Israel was described there as the perpetrator of terrorism instead of the victim. What we don't know, what we don't know is how Barack Obama responded to these slurs on a country that he now professes to support, and the reason is the newspaper that has the tape, the Los Angeles Times, refuses to release it.”

Palin accused the Times of being Obama’s “pet newspaper” and said the paper would win a Pulitzer Prize for “excelling in cow-towing.”

The Republican vice presidential nominee was joined at her Ohio rally by Joe Wurzelbacher, known to the world as Joe the plumber. It was the first time the celebrated small business owner has appeared with Palin on the stump.

Palin described Wurzelbacher as “a fellow Alaskan” because he once lived near Fairbanks.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #195
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:01 PM
Can she just go back to Alaska already?

I don't get this love for Israel. I don't have anything against them, but it just seems so odd that someone would be so in love with one country.

It was actually kind of embarrassing to watch during the VP debates. Yes they're our friend, but where's the love for England while we're at it?