Is Palin failin' ? or OMG McCain wins with Palin !! pt. 4 - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #166
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:15 AM
I think it's high time we ended this tangent and went back to the thread topic, guys.

oscar, I don't want to pile on here, and I appreciate you meant well, but politics 100% aside, it's poor form socially to presume to give unsolicited advice to someone you don't know about where they need to cut back spending, what financial sacrifices it is and isn't worthwhile for them to make, etc. It really does come across as callous. When someone is simply expressing that they're hurting and not asking for remedies, sympathy or silence are usually the best responses.

And martha, that was unduly harsh.

Again, can we please drop this tangent and get back to the thread topic.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #167
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:15 PM
So ... Sarah Palin, huh?

Never heard of her.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #168
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
You seem to be lacking in some basic compassion and empathy.

Can you not afford it? Get a loan.

bingo! we have a winnah!!!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

We had a Sarah Palin rise onto the national scene here about a decade a go. Pauline Hanson. She wildly successful for a brief period of time. Last I saw of her, she was on Dancing With the Stars, after years of failed bids to re-start her political career. I sincerely hope Palin is destined for the same.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #170
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
That's sort of what this thread feels like right now.

"Medical problems? Rising costs? Multiple people to pay for? Get a loan, already!"
Come on guys, you're trying to steer the subject to make me look like the bad guy, as usual. Obviously if people actually got loans to improve their education instead of going to Cancun, North Americans and Western Europeans wouldn't have gotten into as much trouble debt wise. If people didn't try to flip houses to suckers and treat the stock market like Las Vegas they wouldn't be in trouble. There are safer investments than just stocks.

No matter what economy a person with catastrophic health problems would be in a bad situation. For everyone else who can hold down a job and is still complaining they would benefit by using a budget and start tightening their belts. What I'm prescribing is no different than what a personal finance teacher would say. I just wish people would do it more often, because I want people to succeed.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #171
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:15 PM
I think when this is all said and done, and there's been some "calming down" time in between, all this Sarah Palin business will make a fascinating book.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #172
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

...that she will ban from Alaskan libraries?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #173
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
No, let's leave the rest out of it, and get back specifically to what I was talking about - health care in Canada vs. the US. You said:

How many people do you personally know who have died while waiting for treatment? I don't know anyone, and I know a lot of people. Further, the people I am close enough with to actually discuss their medical care and treatment, all have been either treated for various ailments and resolved, or they continue to be treated for conditions of a more chronic nature. None of them that I know of have suffered unduly because of our health care system. NONE. In addition, none have gone bankrupt, lost their homes, or have had financial hardship of any sort placed upon them as a result of being treated. NONE. Meanwhile, it's a very common situation for people in the US, whether insured or not.

So don't try to tell me that privatized health care is some magic panacea for all those ailing, because that's bullshit.
If you want to talk more see this thread VintagePunk:

Health care systems around the world which is best?

Yolland's bringing it back on track in this thread.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #174
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

This whole election – primaries and everything – should make for a number of fascinating books from both (and all) sides. Hopefully there’s a documentary crew out there on the road every day with both campaigns as well.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #175
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
Utoo - what's is like to be a rich elitist? Please tell!

I wish I knew! With my $160,000 in med school loans and my resident's salary, all of my political leanings are rooted in the envy that I have for rich people!
Old 10-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #176
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
I wish I knew! With my $160,000 in med school loans and my resident's salary, all of my political leanings are rooted in the envy that I have for rich people!
Once I saw the residency salary charts, it was a real easy decision to go to law school.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:14 PM   #177
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:15 AM
I think the fact that Sarah Palin is in the national limelight right now is, more than anything, a symptom of the division within the Republican party. I sincerely believe that it is more divided than the Democratic party ever was earlier this year. The Democratic party was divided between personalities - Hilary and Barack - but ideologically they are pretty much the same. The Republican party is seriously divided on much more than personality.

I am a liberal, and the chances of me ever voting for a Republican of any stripe is slim, but I really believe that it would be a good thing for this country if the "real" conservatives(aka the ones who aren't neocons, who aren't crazy, who aren't religious nuts) found a way to take their party back. I won't agree with them on much of anything, but at least they have rationality and logic. The amount of power these so-called neo-cons have amassed in recent years makes me feel uneasy. There are real, intelligent, thoughtful conservatives out there and the country would only be better off if they found a way to take their party back from this group of lunatics that has taken it over. I will still disagree with them on most everything, but at least I could possibly respect them and not be fearful of them in power.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:14 PM   #178
Blue Crack Distributor

Thanks for the support guys, and you know who you are

Purple - as stated, you know nothing of my situation, and I just tried to state a few basic facts. No need for advice, tyvm. The solution to every problem is not "Get A Loan! " . Loans need to be repaid. Didn't this leveraging out & borrowing in the U.S. get us in trouble in the first place? Or howz about "further your education ". There are plenty of educated people out there right now not able to find jobs at the moment. I didn't ask you for a solution. Nothing is cut & dry or as easy as it apparently seems to be for you. My husband & I have worked hard for many years to be independent, have our own business, buy our own home, raise our child. But this economic downturn really hurts for many people. Apparently you just can't fathom that. I don't have mommy & daddy to call for financial help. They have their own issues, especially health, as VP, for one, can attest to (we've shared info on our ailing maternal units).

Just had to get that out. Sorry yolland for derailing. That will be the last of it from me in here.

\back on topic

Sarah Palin, eh?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #179
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post

Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #180
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
Thanks for the support guys, and you know who you are

Purple - as stated, you know nothing of my situation, and I just tried to state a few basic facts. No need for advice, tyvm. The solution to every problem is not "Get A Loan! " . Loans need to be repaid. Didn't this leveraging out & borrowing in the U.S. get us in trouble in the first place? Or howz about "further your education ". There are plenty of educated people out there right now not able to find jobs at the moment. I didn't ask you for a solution. Nothing is cut & dry or as easy as it apparently seems to be for you. My husband & I have worked hard for many years to be independent, have our own business, buy our own home, raise our child. But this economic downturn really hurts for many people. Apparently you just can't fathom that. I don't have mommy & daddy to call for financial help. They have their own issues, especially health, as VP, for one, can attest to (we've shared info on our ailing maternal units).

Just had to get that out. Sorry yolland for derailing. That will be the last of it from me in here.

\back on topic

Sarah Palin, eh?

to u my friend..

and to bring myself into this.. I am a well educated person and guess what? I FRIGGIN GOT LAID OFF from my job last week after 2 hard years there.. Now I am having to start over.. Not to mention i have a huge mortgage to pay..

sorry i derailed for a sec but had to mention this..