Is Offensive Political Violence Ever Justified? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #46
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,066
Local Time: 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Maybe, I'm not sure how serious he was
Based on post history, I took him seriously.
__________________

__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,985
Local Time: 06:45 AM
I'll clarify, I was happy about the Yiannopoulos shitshow being cancelled - not necessarily the damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post

What exactly about this makes you so happy?
I oppose the far right.
__________________

__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #48
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,066
Local Time: 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
I'll clarify, I was happy about the Yiannopoulos shitshow being cancelled - not necessarily the damage.



I oppose the far right.
Right, but as the original post in this thread was arguing, how do the ends justify the means in cases like this?
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #49
War Child
 
Caleb8844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 662
Local Time: 02:15 PM
New question:

Will Milo Yiannopolous be more popular or less popular after this riot than he was before?

There is an objectively right answer.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________
Caleb8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:04 PM   #50
War Child
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 675
Local Time: 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Good. Nicely done.
So its OK to disrupt when its the opposite side? So much for the first amendment.
__________________
bloodysunday972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,985
Local Time: 06:45 AM
UC warns campus group: Yiannopoulos event could target students - SFGate

I wanted to add that Yiannopoulos is prone to targeting vulnerable individuals during his university showings, likely putting their livelihoods in danger via his supporters. I think that justifies shutting him down.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:11 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,985
Local Time: 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Right, but as the original post in this thread was arguing, how do the ends justify the means in cases like this?
See my post prior to this one. He's a man known for attacking and denigrating vulnerable people, it's in the best interest to limit his platform, make him second guess his actions if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
New question:

Will Milo Yiannopolous be more popular or less popular after this riot than he was before?

There is an objectively right answer.


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
I don't think the answer is as simple as you think. Do you think Richard Spencer is more popular after having been punched twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodysunday972 View Post
So its OK to disrupt when its the opposite side? So much for the first amendment.
I don't care for the far right.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #53
War Child
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 675
Local Time: 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
UC warns campus group: Yiannopoulos event could target students - SFGate

I wanted to add that Yiannopoulos is prone to targeting vulnerable individuals during his university showings, likely putting their livelihoods in danger via his supporters. I think that justifies shutting him down.
Milo is a gay European who's partner is black. He rails against the dangers of Sharia and the left.

Actually most events I've seen footage of Milo it was the left being the violent ones not the supporters. Also Milo has tried to engage liberal audience members who interupt him and in the end they look like idiots because they can't engage with him so they just walk out, flip him the bird etc.
__________________
bloodysunday972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:14 PM   #54
War Child
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 675
Local Time: 08:15 PM
Vlad


The first amendment is for everyone....When you try to shut that down that my friend is called Fascism....Something the left seems really keen on calling Trump & his supporters.
__________________
bloodysunday972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:14 PM   #55
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,066
Local Time: 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
See my post prior to this one. He's a man known for attacking and denigrating vulnerable people, it's in the best interest to limit his platform, make him second guess his actions if possible.
But doing so in a destructive manner hurts peaceful protestors causes. Would you not agree?
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,985
Local Time: 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodysunday972 View Post
Milo is a gay European who's partner is black. He rails against the dangers of Sharia and the left.

Actually most events I've seen footage of Milo it was the left being the violent ones not the supporters. Also Milo has tried to engage liberal audience members who interupt him and in the end they look like idiots because they can't engage with him so they just walk out, flip him the bird etc.
Is this the new 'I have friends who are black/gay/etc.'? I know full well who Milo is, he's a man in his 30s who behaves and struts around like a 15 year old who thinks he's edgy for wearing an Iron Cross necklace.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #57
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,878
Local Time: 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
"black clad protesters wearing masks"? Sounds like those "Black Bloc" assholes who call themselves "anarchists," show up to a protest and start shit, while the protesters just want to protest peacefully.

Signed, Seattle resident who has seen what happens when these chuckleheads show up to "protest"
Good point, coriander. And to the extent that literal 'bomb-throwers' may have arrived outside of the UCB community, President Trump should have held onto his tweet questioning the school's federal dollars. Actually, I'd like the president to hold up on the majority of his tweets

The CNN article mentioned no arrests have been made. I'm wondering when arrests start to become appropriate when people and property are being affected like last evening. Especially if it's happening time and again in the town.
__________________
Bluer White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:21 PM   #58
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,540
Local Time: 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodysunday972 View Post
Vlad





The first amendment is for everyone....When you try to shut that down that my friend is called Fascism....Something the left seems really keen on calling Trump & his supporters.


So what are your thoughts of when Trump banned the EPA and other government agencies from all media, shutting down information to the tax paying public?
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:21 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,985
Local Time: 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodysunday972 View Post
Vlad


The first amendment is for everyone....When you try to shut that down that my friend is called Fascism....Something the left seems really keen on calling Trump & his supporters.
You have no idea what fascism is. Hint: it's not synonymous with something you don't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
But doing so in a destructive manner hurts peaceful protestors causes. Would you not agree?
To a degree, yes. I don't think destruction is particularly necessary, but things can get out of control based on other factors in these situations.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #60
War Child
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Western Slope, Colorado
Posts: 675
Local Time: 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
So what are your thoughts of when Trump banned the EPA and other government agencies from all media, shutting down information to the tax paying public?
If the information is not supposed to be discussed then its not supposed to be discussed.

There is a minor difference between say protesting against a policy as a citizen and actually working for the govt. That would mean people like Snowden and Wikileaks are protected under the first amendment too.
__________________

__________________
bloodysunday972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com