Is Lust Sinful? (--> split) - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Is Lust Sinful? (--> split)

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
While Willem Dafoe and Caviezel played controversial Jesus roles, only one of those roles was actually offensive to liberal Christians or a general non-Christian audience.I can't recall a single movie that has offended me as much as that horrid piece of tripe. And that's not even getting into the antisemitism argument.
Liberal Christians weren't offended by the portrayal of Jesus fantasizing about having sex with Mary Magdalene in Last Temptation?
__________________

__________________
80sU2isBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sU2isBest View Post
Liberal Christians weren't offended by the portrayal of Jesus fantasizing about having sex with Mary Magdalene in Last Temptation?
I don't believe they were.

Liberal Christians are those that understand historical relevance of the reading of the gospels, rather than a fundamental reading and understand that Magdalene was not a prostitute and that Jesus...well, he was still a man in some respect, right?

And it was a fantasy after all.
__________________

__________________
U2DMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sU2isBest View Post
Or it could be that he's telling the truth the way he sees it.

Who knows...
Then maybe he's as delusional as Gibson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sU2isBest View Post
Liberal Christians weren't offended by the portrayal of Jesus fantasizing about having sex with Mary Magdalene in Last Temptation?
Never saw the movie but why would you be offended by the mere fact that he fantasized about sex? Wasn't he human?
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

Never saw the movie but why would you be offended by the mere fact that he fantasized about sex? Wasn't he human?
And if we're to believe Jesus and Mary were lovers (as hinted in the Gnostic gospels) wouldn't sex enter the brain? If Jesus was God, and God created sex, what's the problem?
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
And if we're to believe Jesus and Mary were lovers (as hinted in the Gnostic gospels) wouldn't sex enter the brain? If Jesus was God, and God created sex, what's the problem?
I don't know if the the Gnostic Gospels hint at Jesus and Mary Magdalene being lovers, but the Gnostic Gospels are hardly respected as being Biblically true.

The Bible says that fantasizing about sex with anyone other than your spouse is a sin. In fact, Jesus himself said that lust is a sin. If he had lusted after Mary Magdalene he would be sinning, and if he had sinned, he would not be "the perfect lamb" "shed for the remission of our sins".

Jesus said:

“You have heard that the law of Moses says, `Do not commit adultery.' But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust in his eye has already committed adultery with her in his heart” (Matthew 5:27-28).

Christ was "tempted" to sin, but never actually sinned.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sU2isBest View Post
I don't know if the the Gnostic Gospels hint at Jesus and Mary Magdalene being lovers, but the Gnostic Gospels are hardly respected as being Biblically true.
The problem here is that you believe the Bible to be the absolute Word of God. I don't because there's a lot of proof that it isn't.

I can see where this thread is heading, and I don't want to get involved. I just feel the discussion will hit a lot of walls and dead ends.
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
The problem here is that you believe the Bible to be the absolute Word of God. I don't because there's a lot of proof that it isn't.
Is there? That issue certainly has been debated over the past 2000 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
I can see where this thread is heading, and I don't want to get involved. I just feel the discussion will hit a lot of walls and dead ends.
I'm not trying to argue, believe me. You asked what the problem is with Jesus "fantasizing about sex with Mary Magdalene", and I told you, from the Biblical perspective, which is the perspective that probably most Christians will have on the issue.

Truth be told, I think many "liberal Christians" would also take issue with the idea.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 06:04 PM
Its not an argument that I am seeing. Its the fact that you and I are on polar ends of an issue - you take the Bible literally, I don't. If we were to discuss that, we would get no where.
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sU2isBest View Post
The Bible says that fantasizing about sex with anyone other than your spouse is a sin. In fact, Jesus himself said that lust is a sin. If he had lusted after Mary Magdalene he would be sinning, and if he had sinned, he would not be "the perfect lamb" "shed for the remission of our sins".

Jesus said:

“You have heard that the law of Moses says, `Do not commit adultery.' But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust in his eye has already committed adultery with her in his heart” (Matthew 5:27-28).

Christ was "tempted" to sin, but never actually sinned.
Exactly right. Nice to hear from you 80s. I've been MIA myself for almost a year.
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 04:04 PM
Not to take this off subject even more, but some suggest the original text was "wife" and not "woman" that looking lustfully would only be a sin if the woman was already married.

Otherwise dating in general would be a sin.
__________________
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sU2isBest View Post
I don't know if the the Gnostic Gospels hint at Jesus and Mary Magdalene being lovers, but the Gnostic Gospels are hardly respected as being Biblically true.

The Bible says that fantasizing about sex with anyone other than your spouse is a sin. In fact, Jesus himself said that lust is a sin. If he had lusted after Mary Magdalene he would be sinning, and if he had sinned, he would not be "the perfect lamb" "shed for the remission of our sins".

Jesus said:

“You have heard that the law of Moses says, `Do not commit adultery.' But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust in his eye has already committed adultery with her in his heart” (Matthew 5:27-28).

Christ was "tempted" to sin, but never actually sinned.
without getting into Gnostic gospels or Jesus and Mary having relationships



I will say, that to say Jesus was without sin just doesn't hold up

why was he baptised? baptism is to wash away the sins

also, when he said 'he who is without sin, let him cast the first stone'
he was admitting that even he was not sinless.
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 11:04 PM
Just to clarify, what are we taking "lust" to mean here? A sexual thought about someone lasting over X number of seconds? Any sexual thought about her/him no matter how fleeting? Plotting to seduce someone? ...etc. ...?
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I will say, that to say Jesus was without sin just doesn't hold up

why was he baptised? baptism is to wash away the sins
Baptism doesn't wash away sins. You could be baptized 5 times a day for the rest of your life, but if you are no reborn, your sins are not washed away.

The blood of Christ is what washes away sins.

He was baptized as an example for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
also, when he said 'he who is without sin, let him cast the first stone'
he was admitting that even he was not sinless.
Deep, he was talking to the men who were about to cast stones at a woman caught in adultery. He had compassion on her and told them that they had no right to judge her, because they were sinners.

He then told her "Go and sin no more."
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Just to clarify, what are we taking "lust" to mean here? A sexual thought about someone lasting over X number of seconds? Any sexual thought about her/him no matter how fleeting? Plotting to seduce someone? ...etc. ...?
Satan tempts every one of us with thoughts. The first thought is not a sin. It's when a person takes the lust and dwells on it that it becomes sin.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Not to take this off subject even more, but some suggest the original text was "wife" and not "woman" that looking lustfully would only be a sin if the woman was already married.
They may suggest that, but it's not accurate. Lexicons tell us that the Greek word for "woman" used in this verse simply means "woman". The only other meaning for that Greek word in the entire New Testament is "a female".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Otherwise dating in general would be a sin.
Why do you say that? It's not possible to date without fantasizing about having sex with that person?
__________________

__________________
80sU2isBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com