Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
nah, I agree, man. I always get worked up and then feel like an ass afterward.
We have a bit in common, then. That's actually one of the reasons I left FYM in the first place; I got way too upset by it.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I'm not religious but lust is certainly not sinful. I don't if you're implying that "dwelling" on lustful is cheating, but it's not. Everyone lusts.
By "not religious", do you mean you don't believe in God?

Old 05-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #63
45:33

Local Time: 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sU2isBest
By "not religious", do you mean you don't believe in God?
Basically yeah. Kinda weird, cos I am baptised
Old 05-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #64
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Quote:
Does it only exist in a religious context? If so, then no. Otherwise I'd say yes.
Sin is usually in relation to a higher power, otherwise you are just talking about morals, or rights and wrongs.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Basically yeah. Kinda weird, cos I am baptised
Sin is an act against a moral "law", and as BVS pointed out, is usually associated with religion.

A topic of frequent debate is whether true right and wrong can exist without a higher power to define what is right and wrong. My assertion is that without God, all morality is ultimately subjective.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Haven't read all the responses but this question is a great of example of what perturbs me about certain religions. No matter what you are ALWAYS setup for failure. Now you can't even look at a stranger on the street and have the passing thought "he's probably a good lay..." or drop a rock on your foot and curse in your own head... Who cares what goes on in someone else's head so long as it stays there?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:57 AM

he does
Old 05-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Haven't read all the responses but this question is a great of example of what perturbs me about certain religions. No matter what you are ALWAYS setup for failure. Now you can't even look at a stranger on the street and have the passing thought "he's probably a good lay..." or drop a rock on your foot and curse in your own head...
One of the points I repeatedly make in this thread is that the "passing thought" is not the sin. "Passing thoughts" happen from time to time. The sin is taking that thought and dwelling on it to make it lust and fantasizing. And really, this is not an original thought on my part. Every modern Christian theologian I know of and most dead theologians say the same thing.

But really, this concept doesn't just apply to lustful thoughts. You ever been sitting in traffic, someone drives on the shoulder of the road to pass dozens of people who are abiding by the law? Then, this crazy thought comes into your mind "I wish I was sitting in the Mach V so I could launch a missle at that car"? Immediately upon that thought enter my head, I say to myself "Now that's nuts", and of course, I don't want to kill anyone, so I dismiss it and don't think of it anymore. But if I dwelt on the thought and began planning in my mind on how to do it, that would be sin.

Quote:
Who cares what goes on in someone else's head so long as it stays there?
Even if we step outside the realm of religion, psychology tells us basically that the thought life has a great impact on behavior and on how people view life.

Example: I'm not saying that lusting after your girlfriend will cause you to view all women as sex objects. But I am saying that if someone frequently purposely lusts and fantasizes about passing strangers or Hollywood celebrities, musicians, etc, it is likely that it will impact the way he views women. It is likely that he will respect them less as individual human beings and treat them as sex objects.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post

he does
Is that Svengali?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Well the other day I fantasized about donating my right lung to a really rich person and getting a million dollars in return. Does it effect my actual life and how I treat other people? No (unfortunately!)

Since only the person thinking the thought can know whet it goes from "passing thoughts" to "dwelling on it", I really don't see why it matters to anyone.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Well the other day I fantasized about donating my right lung to a really rich person and getting a million dollars in return. Does it effect my actual life and how I treat other people? No (unfortunately!)
I suppose it could have some kind of effect if you did this frequently enough, but I don't know what that effect might be. But that's really not the same as the example I provided, because there is real world precedent for my example.

Be honest, do you really think that frequently fantasizing about having sex with strangers won't have effect on the fantasizer's view of the opposite sex? Do you see how it could cause them to devalue women?

Quote:
Since only the person thinking the thought can know whet it goes from "passing thoughts" to "dwelling on it", I really don't see why it matters to anyone.
Frankly, it doesn't matter to me, because I am not your judge. This is just a topic of discussion.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier

80s, what's your take on masturbation?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
80s, what's your take on masturbation?
I honestly have no opinion. I don't see any Biblical evidence either way.

Let me amend that. I have no opinion either way, unless it involves fantasizing about a specific person who is not spouse. In that case, I think it's wrong for sure. Otherwise, I just don't know.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #74
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sU2isBest View Post
Be honest, do you really think that frequently fantasizing about having sex with strangers won't have effect on the fantasizer's view of the opposite sex? Do you see how it could cause them to devalue women?
But what if it's not a stranger? What if it's your fiancee and you're fantasizing about your wedding night?
Old 05-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #75
Refugee

Local Time: 07:57 AM
Quote:
Now you can't even look at a stranger on the street and have the passing thought "he's probably a good lay..."
Do people really have passing thoughts like this? I can see a stranger on the street and think he is cute, has nice eyes, smile etc but my mind has never jumped straight to sex. This kind of thought doesn't seem 'natural' to me at all. Maybe it's different for guys though....