Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #556
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevey View Post

And Pearl, I tried to make clear that it's not a complaint-- if what I wanted was sympathy I know of better places to go. It's a true representation of one aspect of our relationship that I used to illustrate a point. There are lots of good things about him, some of which I mentioned. GG wanted to know why men in particular might find it difficult to discuss, and I gave her the most concrete example I know of. The point is that gender politics exist even in good relationships between people who respect and love each other very much and have no conscious awareness or intention. Believe me, I knew I was taking a risk when I used a personal example. I'd like very much not to be judged for it. The point I've been trying to make for days is that gender politics play out on a personal level, among ordinary people, and this is one example of that.
I get what you were trying to do, and I'm not judging you either. I just felt uneasy about that.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #557
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:25 AM
What about when things need to be fixed around the house? When the lawn needs mowing? When heavy shit needs lifting? When the garbage needs to be taken out? I'm sure there are at least some 'gender politics' that work in the other direction you'd be happy to work within. That isn't a complaint, it's just the way things sometimes are and that's ok

Old 08-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #558
45:33

Local Time: 04:25 PM
On grand final day, mum and the female guests are in the kitchen making salads and desserts and laying out the table etc, while dad and the male guests are huddled around the barbeque cooking the meat.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #559
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:25 PM
I'm curious what the women in FYM think of the Miley Cyrus' VMA gyrations. Does it help or hurt feminism?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #560
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm not thinking about Miley's act from a feminist perspective. I saw her performance as overdone and ridiculous, and I'm wondering why some child stars turn to raunchiness to prove they're grown up, which isn't really maturity anyway. She also likely did this for shock and attention.

Why are you curious about what we women think?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #561
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post

Why are you curious about what we women think?
Should I not be?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #562
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It seems most women were not to pleased with the performance.

Outraged parents: Why Miley Cyrus' performance sets girls and women back

But here's a comment defending Miley...

Quote:
"The fact that she doesn't play the victim and shows that girls can be as aggressive and bad in many ways might in some twisted way pave the way for (women) to play in a more level field with men,"
Old 08-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #563
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:25 AM
i've found it's difficult to dance to "Blurred Lines" and not look crazy.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #564
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:25 PM
Quote:
"The fact that she doesn't play the victim and shows that girls can be as aggressive and bad in many ways might in some twisted way pave the way for (women) to play in a more level field with men,"
This is quite the generous interpretation. There are ways for women to own their sexuality in a way that is empowering; pandering to the raunchy-chic fad in as pompous and self-aggrandizing a manner as possible is certainly not one of them. People like Miley and Britney Spears are not just detriments to feminism, but to human society as a whole. Sorry if that sounds harsh.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #565
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Should I not be?
No, I was curious because you've made comments before about protecting teen girls from teen boys, and you have a conservative attitude toward sex. So basically, I'm wondering what you are thinking about Miley's act. I hope you're not thinking the world is at end over this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
This is quite the generous interpretation. There are ways for women to own their sexuality in a way that is empowering; pandering to the raunchy-chic fad in as pompous and self-aggrandizing a manner as possible is certainly not one of them. People like Miley and Britney Spears are not just detriments to feminism, but to human society as a whole. Sorry if that sounds harsh.
Exactly, and I didn't find that harsh at all. Miley is handling her sexuality in a immature way (how many times does she have to have her tongue hang out?) like she has no idea what it means.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #566
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The only thing feminist I could think of about Miley's act is that it is really unfair that in order to be sexual, a woman has to be as naked as possible. Meanwhile a man can be fully clothed - like Robin Thicke - and still be seen as sexual. It is as though a woman can only be a sexual being if she's a piece of meat, instead of letting her sexy personality shine through. Unfortunately, many women, like Miley, don't realize this.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #567
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
So basically, I'm wondering what you are thinking about Miley's act. I hope you're not thinking the world is at end over this.

But that isn't what you asked.. You asked me, "Why are you curious about what we women think?"

However, since you're also curious about my opinion on Miley's act - it is about the same as Iron Yuppie.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #568
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
The only thing feminist I could think of about Miley's act is that it is really unfair that in order to be sexual, a woman has to be as naked as possible. Meanwhile a man can be fully clothed - like Robin Thicke - and still be seen as sexual. It is as though a woman can only be a sexual being if she's a piece of meat, instead of letting her sexy personality shine through. Unfortunately, many women, like Miley, don't realize this.
I was always attracted to Lilith from Cheers:

Old 08-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #569
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post

My opinion on the Miley's act is about the same as Iron Yuppie.
Which is fine with me.

One person I think is a good example of having a sexy personality yet being influenced by what society says about women being sexy is the actress Olivia Munn. I can see why a lot of guys like her. She's funny, intelligent, and confident. She also seems like the type who would play video games or cheer on a football team during the Super Bowl, but the next day, go get a mani-pedi. A lot of guys like that. But sadly, she tends to wear skimpy clothes to award shows because she says she's expressing her sexy side. That's sad because she's already sexy enough by her personality. Wearing revealing clothes makes her look desperate, which is not sexy.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #570
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:25 PM
Quote:
Unfortunately, many women, like Miley, don't realize this.
Maybe that realization is something that comes with age. There are plenty of women in middle age who bear little skin but nonetheless convey sensuality. Mariska Hargitay comes to mind.