Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #271
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevey

Jive, I think we have a reversal here. What I keep hearing you say is, "Don't all people deserve the same disrespect? If we can disprespect that one, why not this one?" And I'm saying that no, in a humane society every person deserves positive respect and kindness.
Answer my question about people affected by murder

Old 05-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #272
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

When we start to create humor based on what someone fundamentally is as a person, that's not okay. It's true that in the cancer joke instance, I put my foot in my mouth. Cancer patients are not a fixed population of people born with cancer who will always have cancer. What I said was hurtful, trivializing and unfortunate, but it wasn't an attack on her husband as a human being. If I walked into a place and said, "Jeez, it smells like Mexicans in here" that would clearly not be okay, because I'm making statements about what Mexicans are, fundamentally, as human beings.
this is entirely inconsistent with your point about rape jokes

Old 05-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #273
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:44 PM
When you can demonstrate that rape jokes are not universally either about women, or about humiliating men by dominating and feminizing them, then I'll wonder if I was inconsistent.

And about the murder, here it is one more time: If you know something will hurt somebody, don't say it. If you discover you've made an error and accidentally been a jerk, apologize. Base your actions and speech on the notion of kindness.

That's just my own personal, foolish, ridiculous notion about how the world can be a more enjoyable place, applicable at any time, in any situation. It's called an ethical principle.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #274
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
So a mother who's child has been murdered deserves less respect than a rape victim?
I never said such a thing.

I am saying that rape and sexual abuse occurs more frequently than murder, and that it is something that strongly affects the victim for the rest of their life.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #275
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
When you can demonstrate that rape jokes are not universally either about women, or about humiliating men by dominating and feminizing them, then I'll wonder if I was inconsistent.

And about the murder, here it is one more time: If you know something will hurt somebody, don't say it. If you discover you've made an error and accidentally been a jerk, apologize. Base your actions and speech on the notion of kindness.

That's just my own personal, foolish, ridiculous notion about how the world can be a more enjoyable place, applicable at any time, in any situation. It's called an ethical principle.
So when we can't universally demonstrate that rape jokes aren't about both men and women? This whole premise is laughable. Jokes must be about everyone to be acceptable??
Bottom line, your concerns aren't any more important than anyone else's. You're not special and don't deserve special recognition.

And let's not pretend jokes.. jokes...are preventing the world from being a more enjoyable place. You aren't being persecuted.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #276
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk

I never said such a thing.

I am saying that rape and sexual abuse occurs more frequently than murder, and that it is something that strongly affects the victim for the rest of their life.
So who's in charge of this sliding scale of acceptable offense? jeevey?

The last part of this post is rather dismissive of murder victims' friends and families
Old 05-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #277
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:44 PM
Well the question was about feminism, but all I know is that this thread is no longer relevant.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #278
Refugee

Local Time: 03:44 AM
Perhaps it would be more constructive to move from a perspective of 'feminism' to one of 'anti-sexism'.

Violence & Silence: Jackson Katz, Ph.D at TEDxFiDiWomen - YouTube
Old 05-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #279
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS
Well the question was about feminism, but all I know is that this thread is no longer relevant.
Conversations are fluid. Why limit where we go because of a thread title?
Old 05-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #280
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Conversations are fluid, but threads tend to be a little more rigid than everyday conversations and usually dictate staying on topic. Not that it always does, or necessarily always has to, but this one feels way off topic and it's kind of lost it's meaning.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #281
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS
Conversations are fluid, but threads tend to be a little more rigid than everyday conversations and usually dictate staying on topic. Not that it always does, or necessarily always has to, but this one feels way off topic and it's kind of lost it's meaning.
Lost its meaning only to the title of the thread. I see no harm in letting it play out. Ask a mod to change the thread title if it annoys you so
Old 05-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #282
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Not annoyed, just a tongue in cheek remark about it going off topic. Nothing more, nothing less...
Old 05-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #283
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS
Not annoyed, just a tongue in cheek remark about it going off topic. Nothing more, nothing less...
Ah, ok. Fair enough
Old 05-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #284
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I know there's a thread on FEMEN already, but since the two literally are about feminism, might as well as post this here: (Careful, link is NSFW)

Topless 'Top Model' Protestors Crash Finale On Behalf Of FEMEN (NSFW PHOTOS)

I'm a feminist but I think FEMEN gives the women's rights movement a bad name. Crashing events, screaming, and sometimes throwing things, does not help women's issues at all. What they're really doing is promoting radical feminism and saying their brand is the only true feminism, and everyone else isn't good enough. They disgust me.

Here's another example on how shitty they are. They ruin an event where there were most likely families with their children: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_3285268.html
Old 05-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #285
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

What I was trying to say is that rape comments target women as much as Mexican comments target Mexicans. And as for being persecuted.... Are you serious?

(trigger warning, don't click if violent images are upsetting to you)

Examples of Gender-Based Hate Speech on Facebook | WAM!

Scroll down for the images. All of these images target women for violence based on the fact that they are women.

And that is a feminist issue. Whether or not these things are acceptable is a feminist issue, as well as a human right issue. For fucking real, people. Do we really have to wonder whether these images are okay?