Is anyone here not religious and not athiest? As in, just not pushy about religion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
The more and more religious folks and those who identify themselves as atheists try to push beliefs on me, the more I hate both groups.

Do we have anyone in FYM who is okay with not being religious, but also not an asshole atheist? At this point, I think atheists are almost as vocal and irritating (especially online) as religious zealots. Atheism is almost a religion in of itself.

Almost in the way people at a party point out that they are vegetarian, or that they don't watch TV, or that their dog is a "rescue".

Anyone else capable of venting?

Unfortunately, I'm pretty religious, so I guess I'm out. . .

:wink:

But I'll enjoy listening to others vent!

And what's up with "rescue" dogs? It's just a fucking adopted dog, get over yourself! They all go to the gas chamber eventually if no one picks them up, so all pound dogs are potential "rescues". :doh:

My sister in law used to volunteer on weekends doing "dog rescue." I always used to kid her about being decked out in SWAT gear and kicking down the doors of animal abuser's homes to rescue dogs.

I would probably class myself the same as yourself. I have little time for Dawkins and his ilk and those atheist groups that lobby to put their posters on trains, it often seems quite juvenile.

I do enjoy a good natured debate with religious folk if they are up to it, but I don't expect the world to wake up tomorrow and be 'yo we don't believe in no gods', as that is just not going to happen.

I like to refer to myself as a 'lapsed Catholic'...it just sounds better than atheist.

I'm an atheist but I don't think I'm an asshole about it. Big fan of Dawkins though, even if he can get a bit pompous at times.

I think you'd find the asshole atheists wouldn't be so assholish if not for the way religion pushes itself in places it shouldn't. I'm more of an agnostic, but happy to let people believe what they want as long as it isn't affecting others. I think that's a fairly reasonable viewpoint

I have fairly firm religious beliefs for myself personally, but I avoid pushing them others at all costs. In fact, it even annoys the hell out of me when religious folks try to push their beliefs on me, and I'm fairly religious! I can only imagine how secular people feel in these situations.

I define myself as spiritual but not religious, but I can't stand it when either side - wacky religious people and wacky atheists - get all "I'm better than you" and condescending. I've dealt with both groups and they make me so angry. I'm glad I'm not alone.

BTW, I'm glad DrTeeth, Trojanchick99 and Jive Turkey aren't assholes about their beliefs. I accept people being atheist, I don't lose sleep over it. I just wish some didn't talk down to me and insult me.

Also, the thing that irritates me about asshole atheists (I guess that's the term in this thread :giggle: )is when you point out that they are no different from fundamentalist religious people, they deny it or insist that they're right and you're wrong, stupid, delusional, etc.

Hey, Canadiens, what made you start this thread? Did someone piss you off? Just wondering...

Unpushy athiest here :wave:
I don't even like being called an athiest because I don't care to be identified in a group.

Our local "Liberal" radio station has an athiest show on the weekends (like Sunday mornings :rolleyes: )
It drives me up the wall how their promos are about how they are NOT religious.

What do you call someone who is baptised, but not at all religious, probably aligns with atheism but isn't passionate about it, who finds Dawkins entertaining despite the dickish way he sometimes goes about it, who isn't at all bothered by normal religious people, and who does not want to blatantly decry religion just in case God does exist and he gets wind of it?

^Join us the 'lapsed Catholics' , but if your a prod i'm afraid there is no hope and you're goin to hell:wave:

LJT said:
^Join us the 'lapsed Catholics' , but if your a prod i'm afraid there is no hope and you're goin to hell:wave:

What's a "prod"? I've never practiced Catholicism, despite being baptised and going to a catholic school. I used to HATE sitting through mass and stuff like that.

Prod is Northern Ireland delightful sectarian linguo for a Protestant. It seems you are safe though as you have been baptised into the one true faith.

I find it a bit odd that I still feel attached to Catholicism, I mean if I was ever to find religion again I would likely go back to the Catholic church, it's a hard habit to kick. The body and blood of Christ is highly addictive.

You know when younger I never even considered that I was engaging in cannibalism, I mean in Catholicism we are meant to believe it actually is the body and blood. Transubstantiation is akin to alchemy.

I used to be such a good altar boy too. As were my siblings...my brother managed to set himself on fire in the church once by standing too close to one of the candles, his robe went up in smoke.

I'm not religious but I don't push my non-religion on others.

that their dog is a "rescue"
That seems to be rather popular now and not just dogs but also rescue cats, etc.

Yep, another thing is when people talk about their new purchase by brand name. They didn't just get a new phone, they got an iPhone or a BlackBerry.

It's more you are meant to believe you are actually eating Jesus' flesh and blood, which if you do believe they become that, then you are kinda engaging in cannibalism.

Anyway, i've never actually heard of anyone convincing someone of a religious persuasion to give it up. I'm pretty sure everyone who has decided religion is not for them has done so through their own reasoning, which is why I think those pushy atheists are just wasting their time.

i consider myself a pretty committed agnostic, but i admit to really enjoying the writings of Dawkins and especially Hitchens not so much because i agree but because it's really enjoyable to watch someone eviscerate the bullies. it's a guilty pleasure kind of thing, and a little unfair, but who among us more deserves a total take down than the holy rollers who have the audacity to believe that the answers to the universe can be bought in a megachurch outside Houston.

Technically I suppose I'm Russian Orthodox, but just about my whole family think of themselves as atheists. I'm an atheist, I just don't care about religion. :shrug:

I'm not fond of any kind of proselytizing. Or absolute certainty about unknowables.

I personally find comparative religion and theology very interesting so I do enjoy discussing those, but that's a very particular kind of discussion, one you couldn't really force on anyone even if you wanted to, which I wouldn't.

I guess the reason this topic becomes so loaded is that we're living through a historical era marked by intense conflicts between 'modern' (materialist, individualist) and 'traditional' (holistic) ways of thinking and living. Institutionalized religion is a prime carrier of tradition so it naturally becomes one of the major faultlines in these conflicts; fundamentalism, which calls itself traditional but is better described as reactionary, being the most obvious example. At the same time, especially in the 20th century, many broader institutions and identities which once to some degree subsumed and reconciled others either crumbled away or narrowed under pressure, so different markers come to the fore and thus get socially loaded. Basically it's all a false dichotomy, you get these ironies like the Stand Up And Be Counted approach to matters of religion and nonreligion, which manages to be individualist and anti-individualist at the same time. Communications technology obviously plays a big role in shaping all this, too...but now I'm starting to just babble.

At least we're not killing each other over it. Well, not where any of us in here live, that I can think of. That's still something, right?

I would best describe my religious views as apathetic. At this point, I don't really care what I believe. I don't feel like talking about religion at all.

I didn't even know I was baptized until about 5 years ago. Shows you how much I care.

And I am/was a Protestant. We can wear condoms. And Protestantism doesn't stop at the simple condom. Oh, no. I can wear French Ticklers if I want. French Ticklers. Black Mambos. Crocodile Ribs. Sheaths that are designed not only to protect, but also to enhance the stimulation of sexual congress.

I had an experience where some members of my family befriended two Jehovah's witnesses families, very kind and friendly people at the beginning but kept pushing my relatives to go to their weekly congregation thing. When we repeatedly came up with excuses to not go, they instantly cut back on all of the communication, kindness, and friendliness.

Without generalizing, Jehovah's witnesses are the most pushy and they will not become friends with you if you don't follow their beliefs. What does religion have to do with friendship anyway? And I am not even mentioning the evangelicals, which they fall to the floor and start shaking during their rituals and expect you to the same without saying a damn word.

Some people are fucked.

Non-pushy atheist here. I couldn't give a shit what someone believes, and I won't try and talk you out of it. I only ever mention my belief, or non belief, if it's brought up by someone else. A direct question or challenge. Otherwise, I generally keep it to myself.

But I do understand the push from some. I mean, can't speak for whoever has been having a rant at you, but if you're talking about people like Hitchens and Dawkins, they do feel that religion - even in forms that might seem quite benign - is actually quite dangerous in one way or another. And with their backgrounds and experience, it's probably not hard to see that from their point of view.

I find Mormons quite friendly sparring partners when you bump into them out on their missions and I've found them quite nice people in general.

I guess part of the problem with Christianity is it makes a big point of preaching to the masses, it's one of it's major principles where as Judaism and other world religions seem much more insular, in that people tend to convert via personal revelation than any active need of the religion for seeking new converts.

The more and more religious folks and those who identify themselves as atheists try to push beliefs on me, the more I hate both groups.

Do we have anyone in FYM who is okay with not being religious, but also not an asshole atheist? At this point, I think atheists are almost as vocal and irritating (especially online) as religious zealots. Atheism is almost a religion in of itself.

Almost in the way people at a party point out that they are vegetarian, or that they don't watch TV, or that their dog is a "rescue".

My faith is a huge part of who I am. I consider myself more a person of faith than religious. This means that I believe in G-d but I don't always follow all the laws of the Jewish religion (except for keeping Kosher and not driving on the Sabbath - which I follow RELIGIOUSLY.....).

I accept and respect other faiths and never try to force my beliefs on anyone else. Religion and belief are very personal and individual aspects of life which a person needs to choose freely for himself.

Back
Top Bottom