Is anyone here not religious and not athiest? As in, just not pushy about religion? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:31 PM
Is anyone here not religious and not athiest? As in, just not pushy about religion?

The more and more religious folks and those who identify themselves as atheists try to push beliefs on me, the more I hate both groups.

Do we have anyone in FYM who is okay with not being religious, but also not an asshole atheist? At this point, I think atheists are almost as vocal and irritating (especially online) as religious zealots. Atheism is almost a religion in of itself.

Almost in the way people at a party point out that they are vegetarian, or that they don't watch TV, or that their dog is a "rescue".

Anyone else capable of venting?

Old 11-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:31 PM
Unfortunately, I'm pretty religious, so I guess I'm out. . .

But I'll enjoy listening to others vent!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

And what's up with "rescue" dogs? It's just a fucking adopted dog, get over yourself! They all go to the gas chamber eventually if no one picks them up, so all pound dogs are potential "rescues".
Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

My sister in law used to volunteer on weekends doing "dog rescue." I always used to kid her about being decked out in SWAT gear and kicking down the doors of animal abuser's homes to rescue dogs.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:31 AM
I would probably class myself the same as yourself. I have little time for Dawkins and his ilk and those atheist groups that lobby to put their posters on trains, it often seems quite juvenile.

I do enjoy a good natured debate with religious folk if they are up to it, but I don't expect the world to wake up tomorrow and be 'yo we don't believe in no gods', as that is just not going to happen.

I like to refer to myself as a 'lapsed Catholic'...it just sounds better than atheist.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm an atheist but I don't think I'm an asshole about it. Big fan of Dawkins though, even if he can get a bit pompous at times.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:31 PM
I'm an atheist, but hate anyone who pushes their religious/non-religious beliefs on people. There are obnoxious people on both sides.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

I think you'd find the asshole atheists wouldn't be so assholish if not for the way religion pushes itself in places it shouldn't. I'm more of an agnostic, but happy to let people believe what they want as long as it isn't affecting others. I think that's a fairly reasonable viewpoint
Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 09:31 PM
I have fairly firm religious beliefs for myself personally, but I avoid pushing them others at all costs. In fact, it even annoys the hell out of me when religious folks try to push their beliefs on me, and I'm fairly religious! I can only imagine how secular people feel in these situations.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I define myself as spiritual but not religious, but I can't stand it when either side - wacky religious people and wacky atheists - get all "I'm better than you" and condescending. I've dealt with both groups and they make me so angry. I'm glad I'm not alone.

BTW, I'm glad DrTeeth, Trojanchick99 and Jive Turkey aren't assholes about their beliefs. I accept people being atheist, I don't lose sleep over it. I just wish some didn't talk down to me and insult me.

Also, the thing that irritates me about asshole atheists (I guess that's the term in this thread )is when you point out that they are no different from fundamentalist religious people, they deny it or insist that they're right and you're wrong, stupid, delusional, etc.

Hey, Canadiens, what made you start this thread? Did someone piss you off? Just wondering...
Old 11-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #11
has a

Unpushy athiest here
I don't even like being called an athiest because I don't care to be identified in a group.

Our local "Liberal" radio station has an athiest show on the weekends (like Sunday mornings )
It drives me up the wall how their promos are about how they are NOT religious.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #12
45:33

Local Time: 02:31 PM
What do you call someone who is baptised, but not at all religious, probably aligns with atheism but isn't passionate about it, who finds Dawkins entertaining despite the dickish way he sometimes goes about it, who isn't at all bothered by normal religious people, and who does not want to blatantly decry religion just in case God does exist and he gets wind of it?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #13
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

^Join us the 'lapsed Catholics' , but if your a prod i'm afraid there is no hope and you're goin to hell
Old 11-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #14
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT View Post
^Join us the 'lapsed Catholics' , but if your a prod i'm afraid there is no hope and you're goin to hell
Lapsed Missouri Synod Lutheran here who was first-chair in his confirmation class.
Hell will have all of the fun people anyway.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
45:33

Local Time: 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT
What's a "prod"? I've never practiced Catholicism, despite being baptised and going to a catholic school. I used to HATE sitting through mass and stuff like that.