Is America More or Less Violent Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's less violent, but angrier and more obnoxious. I believe a lot of the reduction in violence has to do with all the medications available and the fact that abortion is legal, hence less unwanted children. I don't know if that makes it any better or worse than yesteryear.

I believe a lot of the reduction in violence has to do with all the medications available and the fact that abortion is legal, hence less unwanted children.

Maybe we should just eat the unwanted children. That way we can solve world hunger too.

I think we're less violent, and in a way more moddy coddling to our kids which in turn makes them more susceptable to violence and depravity. Back through our history fighting happened all the time, there were very few times of peace kigdoms fighting kingdoms, tribes fighting tribes, men grew up to be hunters and warriors, kids saw everything, were not hidden from the violence in their world.

Today we act as if everything is not our fault. If someone molests someone its because they were abused, if someone is violent its because they were abused, if someone steals something its because they are poor cause the man kept em down, and so on.

Our world has just lost its respect for others. We no longer value other people and the roles they have, we have very few kings or queens, and so really there is no one telling us what to do, and although we revel in it 'wooohooo i'll do what i fucking want!' what we really want is someone to tell us what to do, but we have turned away from our politicians, the police, teachers, doctors, the legal system and the church. We're on our own and its a scary place when anarchy is around the corner.

I think we're less violent, and in a way more moddy coddling to our kids which in turn makes them more susceptable to violence and depravity. Back through our history fighting happened all the time, there were very few times of peace kigdoms fighting kingdoms, tribes fighting tribes, men grew up to be hunters and warriors, kids saw everything, were not hidden from the violence in their world.

Today we act as if everything is not our fault. If someone molests someone its because they were abused, if someone is violent its because they were abused, if someone steals something its because they are poor cause the man kept em down, and so on.

Our world has just lost its respect for others. We no longer value other people and the roles they have, we have very few kings or queens, and so really there is no one telling us what to do, and although we revel in it 'wooohooo i'll do what i fucking want!' what we really want is someone to tell us what to do, but we have turned away from our politicians, the police, teachers, doctors, the legal system and the church. We're on our own and its a scary place when anarchy is around the corner.

I don't disagree with what you've said here - but I'd also argue that a healthy disrespect for authority is at times, well, healthy. Indeed, I would trace some of the causes of the financial crisis as being down to too much respect for authority and not listening to the "outsider" voices, who turned out to be, well, basically correct.

thats true, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of being disrespectful to people who help us in life, and therefore the lines between order and chaos getting more and more messy. A little disrespect is healthy, but when we think the police are corrupt, the politicians are corrupt, the teachers are useless, the doctors are useless the legal system doesn't work and the church is all peados, who do we turn to for guidence?

thats true, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of being disrespectful to people who help us in life, and therefore the lines between order and chaos getting more and more messy. A little disrespect is healthy, but when we think the police are corrupt, the politicians are corrupt, the teachers are useless, the doctors are useless the legal system doesn't work and the church is all peados, who do we turn to for guidence?

who do we turn to for guidence?

Why do we need to turn to anyone for guidance?

IIRC correctly, you're a teacher, and teachers are among the few authority figures I respect, but also, being a bit of a libertarian anarchist, I would turn the "who do we turn to for guidance?" question on its head.

All of the answers are already within us - as an alternative to respect for authority, I offer the following precepts:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man" - Ayn Rand

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.There is no law beyond do what thou wilt. Love is the law, love under will." - Aleister Crowley.

I understand what your saying, I just guess I believe society needs to have a common goal and people need to be around for a bit of gentle prodding, or some words of wisdom in times of crisis that sort of thing. Like we all need parents for that extra bit of security. Obviously I don't mean full control and some sort of totalitarism type rule, but just someone who you can place some trust in the common good of their wisdom, a gandalf type figure. LOL
Not sure if im really getting what i'm saying, but am with you on your points!

Baltimore City has more violent, in the past several decades. Drugs and gang wars account for around 90% of the murders, which take place, each year. The rest of Maryland is fine.

With economy the way it is today, you'd figure there'd be more robberies, burglaries, theft, going postal, etc.:shifty:

Back
Top Bottom