Is a One World Government a Good Idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would be hard to get all those nations to work together. I mean, could you see North Korea getting along with most other countries?

I wasn't aware that it was on the table.

On the other hand, never say that it's impossible, on a long enough timescale. Consider the timespan it took the kingdoms of the UK to become a single polity and then more recently the pressures pulling it all apart again. Five hundred years? A thousand? Quite possibly.

One world government in this century, I would say no, and probably not desirable either. A group of political blocs (which is pretty much the world today) adhering to some kind of international remit in matters of labour standards, health, education, war, and environmental stewardship... would not be a bad direction.

Literal governments are becoming more and more irrelevant... we're pretty close to having a de facto one world government already. Many, many of the world's power-brokers already lie outside the literal realm of government, and operate internationally.

Will it be headed by a king, president or caliph?

Good question, though kings are outdated now.

I think a world government is a long way off, though it may be slowly forming with the European Union and such.

But again, how would these nations work together? I doubt Saudi Arabia would be easy to work with, as it is a theocratic, ultra-conservative country.

Good question, though kings are outdated now.

Actually there are 44 current monarchies in the world.

But again, how would these nations work together? I doubt Saudi Arabia would be easy to work with, as it is a theocratic, ultra-conservative country.

The same way all empires work together. Fear. Cooperation may not be optional.

Literal governments are becoming more and more irrelevant... we're pretty close to having a de facto one world government already. Many, many of the world's power-brokers already lie outside the literal realm of government, and operate internationally.

The point about power-brokers being outside the realm of gov and operate internationally is a fair one, but governments being de facto I think is a looooooooong way off.

This sounds like it's taken from a typical Right Wing Fundamentalist American Church. Geez, even the Bible makes it clear the Earth is well over 6,000 years old. The whole "rod of iron" for "a thousand years" reminds me of another "visionary" that said his "kingdom" would "reign for a thousand years"...Adolph Hitler. This kind of thinking is exactly what's wrong with alot of so called "Christianity" especially in the United States. It's almost like they are setting themselves up for a fourth reich that will be "Christian" in nature. I suppose (although I'm not sure) that they preach the rapture as well. Much like the Left Behind crew. Yikes. Scary scary stuff and well worth refuting. God help us.

Judaism

There is a not dissimilar belief in Judaism. Time is split into 3 periods (1) The world started in year 1 (= 3761 BCE), the epoch. For almost two thousand years there was nothing, most people were idolatrous and God's presence was not seen in the world. (2) In 1812 BCE, 1948 in Jewish years, Abraham was born. The birth of the first forefather heralded two thousand years of Godliness. This is the period of the Bible, the temples in Jerusalem etc. (3) In 70 CE the Second Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed, Jews were banned from Jerusalem and exiled from Israel. This started a further two thousand years of non-Godliness. Some Jews believe that the Messiah must come before the end of this period which should end in about 2270 CE.

i look forward to the PC world of "Demolition Man."

Well if we get a choice of futures, why not go with the simian-ruled world of Planet Of The Apes. They seem to have the smallest carbon footprint.

And dig those threads.

500full-linda-harrison%5B1%5D.jpg

I'm pulling for the United Federation of Planets - as long as they don't have women in the landing parties (too much for commanders to worry about - aliens, time travel, tribbles...it isn't necessary to add temptation to the mix, although I hope they find a replacement for the rucksack by then...)

I'm pulling for the United Federation of Planets - as long as they don't have women in the landing parties (too much for commanders to worry about - aliens, time travel, tribbles...it isn't necessary to add temptation to the mix, although I hope they find a replacement for the rucksack by then...

How about the one galaxy government of Star Wars. Let's think big here.

some people believe a lot of things.

Seventh Day Adventist:

25. Second Coming of Christ:
The second coming of Christ is the blessed hope of the church, the grand climax of the gospel. The Saviour's coming will be literal, personal, visible, and worldwide. When He returns, the righteous dead will be resurrected, and together with the righteous living will be glorified and taken to heaven, but the unrighteous will die. The almost complete fulfillment of most lines of prophecy, together with the present condition of the world, indicates that Christ's coming is imminent. The time of that event has not been revealed, and we are therefore exhorted to be ready at all times. (Titus 2:13; Heb. 9:28; John 14:1-3; Acts 1:9-11; Matt. 24:14; Rev. 1:7; Matt. 24:43, 44; 1 Thess. 4:13-18; 1 Cor. 15:51-54; 2 Thess. 1:7-10; 2:8; Rev. 14:14-20; 19:11-21; Matt. 24; Mark 13; Luke 21; 2 Tim. 3:1-5; 1 Thess. 5:1-6.)

Now go pick on Maycocksean.
;)

<>

Back
Top Bottom