Is a One World Government a Good Idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seventh Day Adventist:

Now go pick on Maycocksean.
;)

<>

Why? Because I might take my ball and go home? :wink:

But, yes it's true, the imminent return of Christ is one of the central beliefs of my church. That said, I don't think of it as a scary thing, and I don't see it as resulting in any kind of earthly one-world government as such.

Why? Because I might take my ball and go home? :wink:

But, yes it's true, the imminent return of Christ is one of the central beliefs of my church. That said, I don't think of it as a scary thing, and I don't see it as resulting in any kind of earthly one-world government as such.

Same here, not a scary time. We'll have to see what transpires after His return. I do understand there will be a few that will claim to be Him before he arrives and attempt to set up a bogus One World Govt. and will fail, but some will be deceived:

Here's the LDS understanding:

The Second Coming of Christ

Along with the rest of the Christian world, Mormons believe that Christ will come again to judge the world and usher in one thousand years of peace (the “Millennium”).

As Jesus Christ ascended into heaven at the completion of His mortal ministry, two angels declared to His Apostles, “This same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven” (Acts 1:11). Since that time, believers have looked forward to the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.

When the Savior comes again, He will come in power and glory to claim the earth as His kingdom. His Second Coming will mark the beginning of the Millennium.

The Second Coming will be a fearful, mournful time for the wicked, but it will be a day of peace for the righteous. The Lord declared:

“They that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived—verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day.

“And the earth shall be given unto them for an inheritance; and they shall multiply and wax strong, and their children shall grow up without sin unto salvation.

“For the Lord shall be in their midst, and his glory shall be upon them, and he will be their king and their lawgiver” (Doctrine and Covenants 45:57–59).

The Lord has not revealed exactly when He will come again: “The hour and the day no man knoweth, neither the angels in heaven, nor shall they know until he comes” (Doctrine and Covenants 49:7). But He has revealed to His prophets the events and signs that will precede His Second Coming. Among the prophesied events and signs are:

Apostasy from gospel truth (see Matthew 24:9–12; 2 Thessalonians 2:1–3).
The Restoration of the gospel, including the restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ (see Acts 3:19–21; Revelation 14:6–7; Doctrine and Covenants 45:28; 133:36).
The restoration of priesthood keys (see Malachi 4:5–6; Doctrine and Covenants 110:11–16).
The coming forth of the Book of Mormon (see Isaiah 29:4–18; 3 Nephi 21:1–11).
The preaching of the gospel throughout the world (see Matthew 24:14).
A time of wickedness, war, and turmoil (see Matthew 24:6–7; 2 Timothy 3:1–7; Doctrine and Covenants 29:17; 45:26–33; 88:91).
Signs in heaven and on the earth (see Joel 2:30–31; Matthew 24:29–30; Doctrine and Covenants 29:14–16; 45:39

<>

Do some religions believe that Jesus will return to the earth and create a government here on earth?

Yes, after the earth is cleansed but not a govt as we know it.

And I don't have any details beyond that.

:)

<>

Do some religions believe that Jesus will return to the earth and create a government here on earth?

It's generally quite interesting as to how much "Second Coming" theology actually conforms to a lot of the original "First Coming" theology that didn't occur the first time around, and, hence, one of the reasons why Judaism did not see Jesus as the Messiah. Basically, because Jesus did not take over, vanquish enemies, and establish an earthly kingdom, He must not be "it." So if it didn't resemble this the first time around, why did Christianity basically take all the failing theology and just apply a "second" label to it?

I'm not entirely sure that Christianity does, Melon. When I hear that reigning-on-earth schtick, it's the Christadelphians I think of, and they are hardly representative.

It's generally quite interesting as to how much "Second Coming" theology actually conforms to a lot of the original "First Coming" theology that didn't occur the first time around, and, hence, one of the reasons why Judaism did not see Jesus as the Messiah. Basically, because Jesus did not take over, vanquish enemies, and establish an earthly kingdom, He must not be "it." So if it didn't resemble this the first time around, why did Christianity basically take all the failing theology and just apply a "second" label to it?

Interesting point, I guess history is made up of people endlessly making the same mistakes over and over..

^ So it is. You'd think knowing that would make it easier to chart a new or better course but really doesn't seem like we'll be any different. Makes you wonder about fate vs free will.

Bilderberg and similar groups do exist, they are not a figment of deranged conspiracy theorists' imaginations: they exist, they have meetings, the attendance lists are available on the internet, but not the agenda or minutes of discussions.

That said, I tend to think Bilderberg is more of a talking shop than anything else, and might even be of benefit to the general public in providing challenges to the more psychopathic members of our ruling classes. I read there was a lot of heated debate between the US and European Bilderberg attendees around the Iraq war issue.

The biggest crooks are hiding in plain view - Paulson, Cheney, Eric Prinz and the rest.

I know. Actually I fear the nihilistic dystopian world of Brave New World more than the totalitarian Big Brother of Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Indeed. I have always thought Brave New World was much closer to how things would actually develop.

A one world government is like communism, it sounds good on paper. (sort of).

The whole idea comes from I think the desire to rid things like dictatorships, mass hunger, and such. But thats why we have the UN, and unfortunately in my opinion they don't do very much.

Bilderberg and similar groups do exist, they are not a figment of deranged conspiracy theorists' imaginations: they exist, they have meetings, the attendance lists are available on the internet, but not the agenda or minutes of discussions.

That said, I tend to think Bilderberg is more of a talking shop than anything else, and might even be of benefit to the general public in providing challenges to the more psychopathic members of our ruling classes. I read there was a lot of heated debate between the US and European Bilderberg attendees around the Iraq war issue.

The biggest crooks are hiding in plain view - Paulson, Cheney, Eric Prinz and the rest.

I agree with this. I think that whole conspiracy concerning men in Mercedes meeting in swank hotels to plan our futures is nonsense. Most of the "harm" we face we bring upon ourselves by allowing the people we elect get away with their mistakes / greed.

No! People in one country can't even agree on what the government should be, the whole world would be a bigger mess. The only way it could be done is via a brutal dictatorship like the Emperor in Star Wars.

No! People in one country can't even agree on what the government should be, the whole world would be a bigger mess. The only way it could be done is via a brutal dictatorship like the Emperor in Star Wars.

Now don't be giving anyone any ideas.

How about a global crisis caused by nuclear war, monetary collapse, climate, cyber-terrorism or the return of disco?

Now don't be giving anyone any ideas.

How about a global crisis caused by nuclear war, monetary collapse, climate, cyber-terrorism or the return of disco?

pretend WMDs are far, far more scary. hitch that to 9-11, and boom! you got yourselves a war!

(this is what Revenge of the Sith was all about).

Back
Top Bottom