Interference Poll: 2012 US Presidential Election

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whom are you voting for?

• Virgil Goode (Constitution Party)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
If you can vote, for whom are you voting? If you cannot, for whom would you? Vote in the poll. And if you are willing, please explain why. I know that this forum tends to lean strongly in one way, but I am really interested in hearing everyone's reasons why.

Also, if you are so inclined, I have set up an instant runoff poll, including all six candidates. It is here: DemoChoice Ballot. I would be interested to see how third-party candidates do in it. I voted as follows:

1st Barack Obama (Democratic Party)
2nd Jill Stein (Green Party)
3rd Rocky Anderson (Justice Party)
4th Gary Johnson (Libertarian Party)
5th Mitt Romney (Republican Party)
6th Virgil Goode (Constitution Party)

I'm voting for Jill Stein. 1) My state is very likely to go to Obama, and if it looks close when I go vote, I will vote for him instead but I don't think it will be a problem, 2) I took a political compass test that I like and it has me at 95% Jill Stein (and I agree on all important points), 3) While I don't actually think she's presidential material, given #1 I can take this opportunity to safely vote for a third party candidate so it's a win-win for me.

I forget what state you are in. I listen to Pacifica radio, and they are telling their liberal listeners to make sure they do not 3rd Romney into the White house.

But honestly if Romney wins the popular vote but loses because Obama has enough safe states EC votes.
Is that a good thing, if the 3rd party voters in safe states, caused Romney to win the popular vote?

I selected the Green candidate, but obviously if I were actually a US voter in any state that could even vaguely be described as a swing state, I'd vote Obama.

People can vote however they want, but based on Nader type stuff- do so if you want to possibly help Mitt. If you're comfortable with that.

If Al Gore had gotten the four NH electoral votes he would have been President. Not saying that would have been a good thing, just saying. According to polls NH is a dead heat toss up this year. According to most polls it's like that country wide.

Since I'm not of a mind to vote for a third party, given our two party bias, I'm voting for Obama tomorrow, though Jill Stein's politics align more closely with my own.

oh, btw, I did vote for Obama. There are only two possible winners.
Of those two my preference is Obama. I do live in the very safe state of CA, so all the 55 EC votes will go for Obama. But if I am going to participate in this national election I want my voting to reflect an honest preference of the viable candidates.

If I could choose anyone, I would probably choose Bill Clinton. He still seems to have a good grasp of things. And he understood how to get things accomplished while in office. And also, he was able to get the good will of a majority of the American people behind him. He is certainly better than anyone on the list above.

Based on what I'm reading here, it seems the likelihood of multiple parties to choose from will increase in the coming years :up:

That said, I'll vote for Obama. I can't vote for a candidate who's party is taking radical measures to prevent reproductive rights for women.

I can't vote for a candidate who's party is taking radical measures to prevent reproductive rights for women.

This. So much this.

I'm sure some of the other third party candidates would likely be a lot closer to some of the beliefs I hold than Obama would. But overall, first and foremost, I still think Obama has a lot of the good ideas on his side. I think he is trying as best he can to improve things, I generally like him as a person and trust him WAY more than I do Romney. And I actually know where the hell he stands ON an issue to boot :p.

I voted for Obama in 2008, I'm doing it again tomorrow :up:.

Totally voting for Virgil Goode. I just want to watch the world burn.

If I could choose anyone, I would probably choose Bill Clinton. He still seems to have a good grasp of things. And he understood how to get things accomplished while in office. And also, he was able to get the good will of a majority of the American people behind him. He is certainly better than anyone on the list above.

I'd vote for Bill and/or Hillary any day!

Totally voting for Virgil Goode. I just want to watch the world burn.

The Constitution Party makes the Tea Party Movement look left-wing. They're pretty awful.

ETA: Virgil Goode, on the election of Keith Ellison, the first Islamic member of Congress, and his swearing-in on a Quran:
When I raise my hand to take the oath on Swearing In Day, I will have the Bible in my other hand. I do not subscribe to using the Koran in any way. The Muslim Representative from Minnesota was elected by the voters of that district and if American citizens don't wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Koran.

My vote for Mitt Romney tomorrow morning will be the first vote I've ever cast. Beyond excited!

Welcome to the voting world, Caleb :up:! I know what you mean about feeling excited, I was like that, too, when I went to vote for the first time. I still feel that way, actually, all the other craziness with politics aside. It's a good feeling to let your voice be heard.

All that good stuff being said...*Reads the Virgil Goode quote*

*Smacks forehead*

Welcome to the voting world, Caleb :up:! I know what you mean about feeling excited, I was like that, too, when I went to vote for the first time. I still feel that way, actually, all the other craziness with politics aside. It's a good feeling to let your voice be heard.

Thanks! Hopefully I, too, will never lose this enthusiasm for being involved in our political process.

I first voted in 2000. I don't remember how I felt, but my dad was beaming from ear to ear and telling everyone in the polling station that I was a first-time voter. I think him embarrassing me like that overwhelmed whatever feelings I did have, which might have been accomplishment.

Thanks! Hopefully I, too, will never lose this enthusiasm for being involved in our political process.

I voted in my first presidential election this year, but I had lost my enthusiasm lonnnnnnng before actually voting. :wink:

I will cast my vote for Obama tomorrow.

Since Romney secured the election, he has worked to make the economy the main issue, and I can certainly understand not only why he did that, but also why that issue would loom large in the minds of many voters.

Even as something of an economic determinist, though, this election to me is fundamentally about social issues. There are people near and dear to me who could be severely hurt by a Republican presidency. Even as an arch-cynic, I believe that Obama genuinely is concerned for the welfare of gays, women, and other demographics whom the Republican establishment is far too willing to marginalize. This election seems to me a stark mandate on whether this country actually does have an interest in equality under the law. If it does, Obama must be the choice, regardless of the viability of his economic vision.

The Constitution Party makes the Tea Party Movement look left-wing. They're pretty awful.

ETA: Virgil Goode, on the election of Keith Ellison, the first Islamic member of Congress, and his swearing-in on a Quran:

I knew as much.

I voted in my first presidential election this year, but I had lost my enthusiasm lonnnnnnng before actually voting. :wink:

I voted in my first presidential election too, but it was over 30 years ago. I have also voted in every election every two years. Both the primaries and the general. I rarely am enthusiastic. But, because of my 100% voting record, and I vote on every item on the ballot, too. Some are pretty lame. party appointees to committees. Anyways, I kind of feel it is a civic duty and responsibility. It does not take that long. Most of the elections that will effect the quality and cost of things in your life have nothing to do with the presidential election. Local issues will have more effects. Most people do not understand this. Here in CA, tomorrow I will vote on if CA continues to have a death penalty, if we pass a small sales tax so public education, colleges, are not cut to the bone. If unions will be able to take members dues and use them for politics. If all modified food must be labeled, if this passes in CA, because we are the largest food producer, this will go nation wide. Sentencing laws for 3rd time offenders. Those are just some of the state wide. City wide, a charter change to forbid class action lawsuits against the city. A ban on red-light and stop sign cameras used for ticketing.

I have 20 items on my ballot, took awhile but I have read up and made a decision on each one. The city wide changes are actually an update to our city charter, that is like the constitution. I participated in drafting the changes. The council wanted to take our public libraries away from the Board of Trustees and put it under their control. I did not want politicians banning books. I was successful in getting them to leave it alone.

In closing, today, especially with the internet, one can bone up on all the ballot issues. I encourage you to do that. My personal involvement has had at a $500,000 to $600,000 benefit to me personally. (they would have changed the zoning on property I own that would have lowered the value) participating and voting can and does make a difference.

iron yuppie said:
I will cast my vote for Obama tomorrow.

Since Romney secured the election, he has worked to make the economy the main issue, and I can certainly understand not only why he did that, but also why that issue would loom large in the minds of many voters.

Even as something of an economic determinist, though, this election to me is fundamentally about social issues. There are people near and dear to me who could be severely hurt by a Republican presidency. Even as an arch-cynic, I believe that Obama genuinely is concerned for the welfare of gays, women, and other demographics whom the Republican establishment is far too willing to marginalize. This election seems to me a stark mandate on whether this country actually does have an interest in equality under the law. If it does, Obama must be the choice, regardless of the viability of his economic vision.

Agreed.

To me, the presidency is most about two things:

1. Foreign policy.
2. The Supreme Court

The president can only do so much economically, and can only be credited and blamed so much.

When it comes to these two issues, it's not even the same planet.

I think Obama will win tomorrow. I will be sad if he doesn't. Sure, I'll enjoy however much my taxes are lowered. But my civil rights and, more importantly, keeping those who actively seek to do me harm away from having their pernicious influence over the presidency, simply cannot be bought.

I think Obama will win tomorrow. I will be sad if he doesn't. Sure, I'll enjoy however much my taxes are lowered. But my civil rights and, more importantly, keeping those who actively seek to do me harm away from having their pernicious influence over the presidency, simply cannot be bought.

I agree with the economics part, but I also am nervous about women's issues if Romney gets in. That is why I'm hoping the Democrats keep control of Congress to prevent any radical changes to abortion and contraceptives.

This is actually the first I've voted in (for president, I voted in 2010). Last time around I also was not a fan of either option, and while I took all the time to register to vote absentee in the Democratic primary, I kind of forgot until it was too late to get my actual election absentee ballot sent to me. :reject:

For the record, tomorrow, when I vote for John R. Gregg and his mustache for governor, it will be because he has tried to focus on not making this an election based on social issues, and that's kind of the most important thing to me right now.

The economy and foreign policy are in such dire straits that everyone needs to just stop bickering about the same damn things that they're never going to agree on. Fix the problems that can be fixed.

Back
Top Bottom