Interesting Science Video Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been reading a little about that in the past few days. Mind blowing if it's true, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mistake somewhere. They've released all their data rather than go for peer reviews so if there has been a mistake made, there are thousands of people working on it. Pretty cool and goes to show the scope of what this could mean

That "astronomy picture a day" page is so great. I do check it every day. Beautiful photos. Hard to believe that in today's shot they're showing "young" stars that are ONLY a million years old.

This might be one of the most gorgeous Earth video I've seen. Really puts everything into perspective.
This Astounding Orbital Time Lapse Will Blow Your Brains Out in Space

I've always been amazed by (usually when I'm in an airplane, but this video illustrates it nicely) how much the Earth's topography still dictates the way we live. As a race, we like to think we've conquered the Earth to some extent, but just looking at how densely we populate around bodies of water or how insignificant a road looks cutting through a large forested area, you really get a sense of who is still in charge.

Dr Quantum - Double Slit Experiment - YouTube
This is kind of annoyingly cheerful, I suppose, but it will blow your mind if you don't know anything about quantum physics (which I didn't)

I missed this when you posted it (I might've posted it on the first few pages), but the double slit experiment always blows my mind. Dr Quantum is about the only good thing that came out of that piece of shit 'documentary' it came from though

This might be one of the most gorgeous Earth video I've seen. Really puts everything into perspective.

I've always been amazed by (usually when I'm in an airplane, but this video illustrates it nicely) how much the Earth's topography still dictates the way we live. As a race, we like to think we've conquered the Earth to some extent, but just looking at how densely we populate around bodies of water or how insignificant a road looks cutting through a large forested area, you really get a sense of who is still in charge.

I came across this by chance on twitter. Completely awesome. :up:

:drool: I want to watch that on an IMAX screen.

The example that I am always reminded of when looking at the Earth is that if you were to take a globe and brush a coat of varnish on it, that would be the equivalent thin layer of our Earth and atmosphere in which humans can naturally and safely exist.

that's fucking crazy!! care to explain? i don't really get it...

This article explains it:
New Scientist TV: Superconducting disc locked in upside-down levitation

If i understand it correctly, the 'floating' object has an attractive magnetic core, but is 'painted' with a superconductor that is repelled by the magnetic platform the guy is holding. Small holes are present in the 'paint', meaning a small magnetic attraction can reach the core.

Therefore, whilst the 'paint' rejects the magnetic platform, the object's core can still be attracted to the platform, meaning the object is repelled and attracted at the same time, suspending it in a perfect balance (that is strong enough to resist gravity).

Fuckin' magnets, man...

heavy metal - not !

2011-11-18T090512Z_1967641113_GM1E7BI1BPV01_RTRMADP_3_USA.JPG

material - lighter than air !

Scientists Invent 'World's Lightest' Material | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I can't find the post to quote it, but to whoever posted the BBC Horizon doco "What Time Is It?" (Retitled "Do You Know What Time It Is?" when rebroadcast on Discovery in the US): :up: I love that. It's in its full version in vimeo and I used a clever little program to download it. I love Dr Cox, he's like a rockstar to me. I could list the other physicists that are rockstars to me, but the list would get very, very long.

Anyway, watching that prompts me to ponder the nature of time. Einstein said once, "We travel through time at the speed of light." Which makes sense, we can only see things as quickly as it takes for light to enter our eyes and then for those signals to be interpreted in the brain. So, technically, we're always living a fraction of a second in the past. But on the other hand, as one travels through space at the speed of light, time slows down to where it almost stops. And that sort of paradox fascinates me.

Ocean Sky on Vimeo

I didn't listen to this with speakers, so apologies if the music sucks, but if I were able to look up at the night sky and see this, well, I dunno what I'd do. this is just incredible.

Back
Top Bottom