Interesting Science Video Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kind of an anticlimactic read with all the is-it-is-it-not-in-interstellar-space, but still awesome nonetheless.

How NASA are still getting updates from a spacecraft launched more than three decades ago, some 20 billion km away, and I can't get phone reception in the middle of Melbourne, is beyond me.

80 million years is fuck all. The fact that they're able to measure that precisely is more impressive than the fraction of time added on. Cool stuff.

And this probably isn't news to anyone, but it's always fun to remember: If you turn your TV on to a channel with white noise, 1% of that is caused by the background radiation left over from the Big Bang. SCIENCE!

volcanic activity on lo, a moon of Jupiter

pia09665-43.gif

Scientists to Io: Volcanoes are in the Wrong Spot - NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

You guys aren't fucking this thread :(

Ya, I was reading about that the other day Cobbler.... I have no fucking idea what to think. Part of me feels like it has to be a hoax. Even if it is a birth defect, how can that little thing be 6 years old?? It doesn't even look real. Especially the way the abdomen and chest are 'filled in' as if to support the ribs; like a it was made from a low quality mould. But that's not reason enough to write it off.... I don't know. It's weird, but there will be a reasonable explanation

Because the people who made these forums apparently couldn't conceive of the fact that people might actually want to talk about important discoveries in the world around us.... so it goes here

I vote yes, lets do it,

we have too many minorities like Asians and Africans
it will be a lot easier when we are all just Pangaeans. :up:

Not sure how accurate those shapes would be. Entire mountain ranges would be stretched out along the land masses

Just came across it on another site I frequent. Here's a small note:

"What you see here is an anachronistic mashup — a modern map, complete with geological features that did not exist 300-million years ago, with its various parts relocated to the general position they would have occupied before Pangea began rifting apart some 200-million years ago."

Guys, how do we really know that it's not like that now? I mean Palin can see Russia from her back porch, so maybe it really does look like that. Don't be fool by a "consensus" in science, that's usually a sign of a hoax.

It is a knife through my heart to put this video in the Science Video thread, but since we're on the topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1xUiuZvUuw

(I know most of you know about this place already. It's what the creation museum resident "scientist" says that blows my mind)

"What is the point of doing science when it is only right when it agrees with the Bible?"

The point is they're trying to give their completely unsubstantiated beliefs a veneer of legitimacy by adding the word "science" to their quackery. If you use the scientific method correctly, you don't throw out data that doesn't agree with your hypothesis, you adapt your hypothesis in light of scientifically gathered data.

Sorry. Having an issue embedding.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bFDGPgXtK-U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back
Top Bottom