In case there was any doubt, Sarah Palin is bat shit crazy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
were actually more A-Rod/Spitzer jokes than 14-year-old Willow jokes.

To be honest, that's the way I took the jokes, too, that they were more a play on A-Rod and Spitzer's reputations, and that the Palin girl (and I'm absolutely convinced that he did mean Bristol, the older girl, or else the first joke doesn't even make sense) was more of an unfortunate prop to that. I'm sure few agree with me, though... :shrug:

you keep going on about Bristol

so you think saying A-Rod knocked up Bristol during the 7th inning stretch was was just fine?

you keep going on about Bristol

so you think saying A-Rod knocked up Bristol during the 7th inning stretch was was just fine?
I'm not going to say it's tasteful, but she's 18, in the public eye, and has a baby. That joke was begging to be made. But if that becomes unacceptable, what else does?

Seriously, if Letterman isn't allowed to make those jokes he, and the rest of the comedy world, may as well pack it in right now.

I'm not going to say it's tasteful, but she's 18, in the public eye, and has a baby. That joke was begging to be made. But if that becomes unacceptable, what else does?

Seriously, if Letterman isn't allowed to make those jokes he, and the rest of the comedy world, may as well pack it in right now.

18 means it is legal for her to do certain things

not that she becomes a target. and as for having a baby, it is not like she was out getting drunk, having loads of sex, like Paris Hilton and those types
she's a single mom that seems to live a respectable life.

when Obama's girls become 18, will it be cool make sexual jokes about them?

I see what you're doing here, but seriously were all the ugly Chelsea jokes fine?

I get that you are playing devil's advocate, but we've already covered all this ground.

I see what you're doing here, but seriously were all the ugly Chelsea jokes fine?

I get that you are playing devil's advocate, but we've already covered all this ground.

you have always heard me speaking out against those too

and all the racist Obama crap, too

along with Imus indefensible remarks about the girl basketball players

18 means it is legal for her to do certain things

not that she becomes a target. and as for having a baby, it is not like she was out getting drunk, having loads of sex, like Paris Hilton and those types
she's a single mom that seems to live a respectable life.

when Obama's girls become 18, will it be cool make sexual jokes about them?
Yeah, well that's fabulous, but her mother is a politician and she is in the public eye as a result - therefore she is a target. And sorry if I implied that when you turn 18, all bets are off - what I'm saying is she's a mature woman now, she made her decisions re: baby, so deal with them. Coming from a family where her mother is a politician you'd think they'd have a bit of a thicker skin than that, especially when she wasn't even really the target of the joke.

But all that aside, you're saying is that you don't think it's a tasteful joke. That's your prerogative. I don't disagree. Letterman has admitted this and subsequently apologised. Why are we having this discussion? There is nothing left to say here, except some people want to drag this on and make it a bigger and wider issue than what it is.

I love how you've also made a comparison to Obama here, as if I'm a left winger because I disagree with you.

feel free to explain why a young single mom deserves to be ridiculed on national tv in this sexual way.

Chelsea was pretty boring, but she still got teased for her akward looks.

The Bush girls provided quite a bit of tabloid talk and jokes for a long while.

But the 18 year old daughter of an abstinence only believer is off limits?

When did the American public shift?

Show me where I said she deserved it.

I thought you said Dave was not referring to the 14 year old but Bristol

which would lead me to conclude that you thought that would be o k.

If Palin and Bristol went to the ballgame I still think the joke would be wrong. It probably would not got near the attention, sadly.

which would lead me to conclud that you thought that would be o k.

If Palin and Bristol went to the ballgame I still think the joke would be wrong. It probably would not got near the attention, sadly.

I did say that. But c'mon Deep, you're smarter than that - acknowledging that doesn't equate to approval, does it? My lack of outrage doesn't equate to approval, either. There are many, many more grave injustices that are committed against women daily that I'd concern myself with long before this would be something worthy of my outrage.

All I'm pointing out is that there's no doubt in my mind that he meant the older one, therefore the charges of him joking about statutory rape are crazy and way overblown.

which would lead me to conclud that you thought that would be o k.

Deserved and "appropriate" are two different things, now aren't they?

In fact you of all people should understand this...

So it impugns Bristol's character, she is just a c***sucking crack whore?

ala, Devine Brown?

hugh.jpg

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, deep. How perceptive of you to parse that from my words. :cute:

:crack:

Bristol is a real person, a young girl, single mom.

She has a life, she goes out in public, she does not deserve this throw in her face. Choosing to keep a child should not have these consequences.

A Devine Brown, or Madonna, or a Paris Hilton, even a Britney Speres an argument that they don't deserve to be the butt of jokes does not really hold up.

She has a life, she goes out in public, she does not deserve this throw in her face. Choosing to keep a child should not have these consequences.

A Devine Brown, or Madonna, or a Paris Hilton, even a Britney Speres an argument that they don't deserve to be the butt of jokes does not really hold up.

Uh, deep? You're lecturing the wrong person. I'm sure there are others who would appreciate your outrage though, whether it be sincere, or one of those devil's advocate stances you like to take.

And I really don't agree with your last sentence, either. If one woman's sexuality is off the table for public scrutiny or jokes, then so should every woman's.

The jokes aren't because she has chosen to keep a child; do not turn this into an abortion debate.

Well I put 'appropriate' in quotes for a reason.

No one here is saying it's appropriate, but how much humor is?

How do we differenciate?

Should I drag up the jokes you made about the Bush twins?

I think we look at the age first, then vulnerability, then culpability.

I just see why Bristol is a legit target.

Only bring up the Bush twins stuff if it is my good material.
I think all I even posted pertained to their underage drinking?

Then why is she in the joke?
Because she got knocked up. Not because she chose to keep the child.

Um.... wrong....
Clearly an exaggeration, but obviously some things aren't OK, but others are. If you want to have a discussion about taste, then fine, and I agree it wasn't the most tasteful of jokes - but to demand that he is fired, or whatever the massive overreaction has been, especially post-apology, is silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom