In case there was any doubt, Sarah Palin is bat shit crazy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being labeled "promiscuous" is entirely different from being called a "hooker".

Ha! I was going to post the same comment.

(flight attendants and their daughters may be promiscuous but surely aren't hookers)

If you want to argue the point, at least be accurate.

Hookers get remunerated for their services. Letterman made no such implication.

These comments along with the fact that Palin herself, Fox, or any other supporter until Fguy made this connection. I couldn't find ONE person talking about this story in the media or in here that made this connection until fguy made this, and when fguy made this connection he said we all must have not viewed the clip if we didn't get this connection. He made it sound obvious, like everyone knew this, well apparently we were all stupid, every single person talking about this story except fguy.

How come not one person in the whole media, Palin, or in here got this? Yet when fguy pointed it out, I all of a sudden became the bad guy?

you are really doing gymnastics not to concede that Letterman implied prostitution

why is it so hard just to say, 'oh yeah, I see your point" ?

You know, Mr. Supastar, I agree with you on most points as we have similar political views. But your inability to admit that you're wrong, that someone else may actually have a valid point, makes you just as bad as those you accuse of not understanding your point.

It's absolutely baffling to me, and must make you a very miserable person to have a debate with in real life.

Read above.

bending over backwards to defend it, because it is targeted at Palin

But I didn't bend over backwards to defend this joke. In fact I stated the joke was of poor choice.

I only stated that I understand why Palin is the target she is...

And then the conversation took an ugly turn when 2861 made the egregious comparison that comparing Michelle Obama to a gorilla by a South Carolina official is the same thing as the Letterman joke. Fguy tried to defend him and then started to divert the conversation by focusing on the hooker tangent.

Maybe some of you didn't see this twist since it started in another thread and then got merged, but I'm pretty shocked that it got overlooked but I became the enemy because I didn't happen to see a reference that so many of you and the rest of the country didn't see.

I never thought I would see the day when blatant racism got glanced over but a hooker reference missed by the whole world would turn someone into a target...

but I became the enemy

How does being wrong make you the enemy? No wonder conservatives are loathed so much on this forum. Ha!

And I know nothing about this thread, just read BVS last post.

One thing that is very rare in FYM, is people admitting they were/are wrong. Even more rarely, do we see people actually changing their views, either side of the aisle.

I'd like to see that more often here! That would be healthy.

Yeah, "enemy" wasn't the correct word...

I just woke up(haven't had any coffee) and saw this barrage of people jumping on me "must make you a very miserable person to have a debate with in real life", people applauding him, and others making me the poster boy for something others were saying as well.

:wave:

Yeah, you are ok. Welcome to the 'other side of the fight'. It's hard, huh?

Sometimes, it's best to bow your way out the door. I love ya BVS.

Drink some more coffee. I've been up since 2:30 here in DC, and I've got a big day. I'll be dragging tonight.

Ahhh coffee.

And then the conversation took an ugly turn when 2861 made the egregious comparison that comparing Michelle Obama to a gorilla by a South Carolina official is the same thing as the Letterman joke.
I never thought I would see the day when blatant racism got glanced over but a hooker reference missed by the whole world would turn someone into a target...
To be fair BVS, he never made any attempt to compare the two in terms of offensiveness; he simply suggested that if he were to employ what he perceives as the tactics of some of Letterman's defenders, his response might be along the lines of 'Michelle should suck it up and get over it; she asked for it by being in the public eye.' It also seemed pretty clear to me from the context that he was suggesting he'd in fact consider that a lousy response if anyone actually made it in earnest.

The SC story, while ugly, sounds like it's probably awfully small potatoes to me--the guy was a former election commission official, and this was a comment he made on his personal Facebook page which then wound up as a screenshot on some local political blog. I'd have to know more than I do about the SC political scene to have any sense how influential this guy still is, but it doesn't seem likely offhand that he would much be--which would make the incident of little more consequence than any other racist Facebook comment about Michelle Obama, which I have to imagine there's quite a few of out there.

Last edited:
To be fair BVS, he never made any attempt to compare the two in terms of offensiveness; he simply suggested that if he were to employ what he perceives as the tactics of some of Letterman's defenders, his response might be along the lines of 'Michelle should suck it up and get over it; she asked for it by being in the public eye.' It also seemed pretty clear to me from the context that he was suggesting he'd in fact consider that a lousy response if anyone actually made it in earnest.

But I think the comparison of "I could have easily said..." shows the lack of understand where these "jokes" came from. One was an attack on character and one was an attack on who she was born. If it was a joke about Michelle's character or the way she dressed, etc... he would have had a point.

As for this, it was a tasteless comment.

However, I could just have easily said (as many did with Letterman) "Freedom of speech! Michelle should just suck it up and move on. She did this to herself."

But to say the "she did this to herself" would have been a comparable(even if he tought lousy) response shows a huge lack of understanding of the two different situations.

And wait a second, all you people think we evolved from monkeys anyway, right? You should be applauding this guy. A Republican who believes in evolution. :cute:
But I think this was the icing on the cake, if he had not made this joke it may have not been so obvious that he lacks the understanding of such a comment. It was an ignorant statement, period.

The SC story, while ugly, sounds like it's probably awfully small potatoes to me--the guy was a former election commission official, and this was a comment he made on his personal Facebook page which then wound up as a screenshot on some local political blog. I'd have to know more than I do about the SC political scene to have any sense how influential this guy still is, but it doesn't seem likely offhand that he would much be--which would make the incident of little more consequence than any other racist Facebook comment about Michelle Obama, which I have to imagine there's quite a few of out there.

I completely agree, I think the story just reminds us how ugly and prevelant racism still is today.

A) He joked about rape inolving a public servant's child.
B) Jamie Spears isn't even an elected official so it's not the same thing, but still wrong.
C) If one's only denfese is to tag decent people with names, this speaks volumes about one's character.

It's as simple as ABC.

<>

A) NO... HE... DIDN'T...

B) who cares

C) HE'S A FUCKING COMEDIAN... IT'S WHAT HE DOES... IT'S HIS JOB... HE GETS PAID $40 MILLION PER YEAR TO DO IT... HE MAKES JOKES... HOLY SHIT.

These comments along with the fact that Palin herself, Fox, or any other supporter until Fguy made this connection. I couldn't find ONE person talking about this story in the media or in here that made this connection until fguy made this, and when fguy made this connection he said we all must have not viewed the clip if we didn't get this connection. He made it sound obvious, like everyone knew this, well apparently we were all stupid, every single person talking about this story except fguy.

How come not one person in the whole media, Palin, or in here got this? Yet when fguy pointed it out, I all of a sudden became the bad guy?

My comment that you quoted above was made before I realized that Spitzer was also included in the joke. Once I realized this, I posted a comment stating that I could see how people might perceive the implication that Palin's daughter was a hooker. That conclusion is not a huge leap for anyone to make, in my opinion.

Read above.

I could see how people might perceive the implication that Palin's daughter was a hooker.

yes. those people are called humorless twits. or idiots. your choice.

this was not a political pundit or talking head who made these comments... this was not another politician, a rival, a liberal even...

this...was..a...comedian. he makes jokes. jokes, people. jokes. it's his job. it's what he's paid to do.

only someone who's view is so incredibly slanted that they only see what they want to see would see what letterman said and go "oh, david letterman thinks sarah palin's daughter is a hooker who should be raped."

i can not fathom the thought process of such a person. it is alien to me. frankly, i think someone who would come to that conclusion is either ...

a) drinking so much republican kool aid that they are no longer capable of rational thought
b) bat shit crazy.

yes. those people are called humorless twits. or idiots. your choice.

this was not a political pundit or talking head who made these comments... this was not another politician, a rival, a liberal even...

this...was..a...comedian. he makes jokes. jokes, people. jokes. it's his job. it's what he's paid to do.

only someone who's view is so incredibly slanted that they only see what they want to see would see what letterman said and go "oh, david letterman thinks sarah palin's daughter is a hooker who should be raped."

i can not fathom the thought process of such a person. it is alien to me. frankly, i think someone who would come to that conclusion is either ...

a) drinking so much republican kool aid that they are no longer capable of rational thought
b) bat shit crazy.

Letterman's fatal flaw was not fact-checking to see which daughter was at the Yankees game. Since a 14-year-old was involved, I think people are perfectly within their right to feel offended and outraged.

Had Palin's 18-year-old daughter been at the game then, yes, I'd be in 100% agreement with you.

Thank you.

Like I said, what whoever this guy is said was tasteless, and I'll agree with BVS- racist, and he should apologize. As far as the second part of what I said, I was trying to make a comparison of tactic, not a comparison of substance or reason. Looking back it was probably a bad idea, so for what it's worth, I take it back.

Letterman's fatal flaw was not fact-checking to see which daughter was at the Yankees game. Since a 14-year-old was involved, I think people are perfectly within their right to feel offended and outraged.

Had Palin's 18-year-old daughter been at the game then, yes, I'd be in 100% agreement with you.

nobody knew it was her 14 year old daughter until palin herself brought it up, because nobody really cares.

yes, now we are talking about a late night comedian's inability to "fact check" properly.

what a world, what a world.

And you're just wrong here. Try calling your boss a shrew and then laughing and explaining how innocuous that word is.

?

The point is that's why Hillary wasn't elected, she reminded too many people of the overbearing boss, when in actually, she wasn't suppose to be the boss-she was to work for the people.

:)

<>

nobody knew it was her 14 year old daughter until palin herself brought it up, because nobody really cares.

yes, now we are talking about a late night comedian's inability to "fact check" properly.

what a world, what a world.

You see, this is where you're out of whack.
It's an agrument about decency.

The women of the View agree about this and NOW agrees about this.

Only the small brains and avid haters haven't came to the table yet. There is still time.

For most Americans this has nothing to do with which Palin daughter, it has to do with joking about the virtue or lack thereof of one of her kids.

NOW has got it, The View has figured it out, and they are able to see thru the nuances of the agrument and check their animosity for Sarah Palin-in support of her.

And just because NOW and The View get it doesn't mean the majority of Americans have to force fed the rest of their politics.

<>

You see, this is where you're out of whack.
It's an agrument about decency.

The women of the View agree about this and NOW agrees about this.

Only the small brains and avid haters haven't came to the table yet. There is still time.

For most Americans this has nothing to do with which Palin daughter, it has to do with joking about the virtue or lack thereof of one of her kids.

NOW has got it, The View has figured it out, and they are able to see thru the nuances of the agrument and check their animosity for Sarah Palin-in support of her.

And just because NOW and The View get it doesn't mean the majority of Americans have to force fed the rest of their politics.

<>

great... the woman of the view think it was bad. well shit, that changes everything.

give me a break.

I'm sure both male and female employees would refer to any tyrannical female boss as a shrew-not to her face tho.

Nor would they point out any of her faults out to her face, the same way you wouldn't point out faullts of a male boss who was a weenie.

:)

<>

What the fuck does this have to do with you saying shrew is an innocuous word to call a woman?

You make no sense.

I remember very well when he told me to go "hide behind my Queen's skirt" that one time, but you know, that wasn't at all gender-specific either.

seems like liberals ALWAYS try and justify and/or defend another liberal's attack, joke, comment, etc about a rebuplican, no matter what the content.

same as the republicans always do the same against liberals.

if Rush or someone made a joke like that about Michelle Obama, some of you would probably want to crucify him (if you didnt already :lol:)

just more partisan BS to me. :shrug:

Again with the insults and patronization.

Here's where you're wrong again. Most Americans simply don't care about this, period. It was a tasteless joke by a comedian. There have been plenty in the past, there will be plenty more in the future. It's only the choice few conservatives who are trying to froth this up into an us vs. them witch hunt. Unless you're saying that the whopping 15 people who showed up to protest Letterman are representing the will of the majority.

Again, the majority of Americans don't care about this. Exactly who is force feeding this issue?

I'm sure both male and female employees would refer to any tyrannical female boss as a shrew-not to her face tho.

Since you've displayed a tendency towards sexist thought, you would think that.

I think you're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom