In case there was any doubt, Sarah Palin is bat shit crazy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
multitudes of people converged from afar

just to gaze upon her fair face,

and to hear her weighty words of wisdom.

triggered a Neil Young song in deep's skull

He came dancing across the water
With his galleons and guns
Looking for the new world
In that palace in the sun.

On the shore lay Montezuma
With his coca leaves and pearls
In his halls he often wondered
With the secrets of the worlds.

And his subjects gathered 'round him
Like the leaves around a tree
In their clothes of many colors
For the angry gods to see.

And the women all were beautiful
And the men stood straight and strong
They offered life in sacrifice
So that others could go on.

Hate was just a legend
And war was never known
The people worked together
And they lifted many stones.

They carried them to the flatlands
And they died along the way
But they built up with their bare hands
What we still can't do today.

And I know she's living there
And she loves me to this day
I still can't remember when
Or how I lost my way.

He came dancing across the water
Cortez, Cortez
What a killer.

Letterman delivers an apology tonight in his monologue. Points to Dave for doing a straight-forward, plain apology and none of the "I'm sorry you were offended" bullshit that we see too often.

Here's hoping this story dies out now and we can back off yet another round of "Palin is X" / "No, how dare you, she's Y!" I'm sure we'll be having another one in ... oh, a month.

It was kind of a coarse joke. There's no getting around it," Letterman said in the opening monologue of Monday night's show. ...Letterman said Monday night that he now realizes, "It doesn't make any difference what my intent was, it's the perception."

"As they say about jokes, if you have to explain the joke, it's not a very good joke," he said. "I take full blame for that."

"I told a bad joke. I told a joke that was beyond flawed," he said.

"So, I would like to apologize, especially to the two daughters involved, Bristol and Willow, and also to the governor and her family and everybody else who was outraged by the joke," Letterman said. "I'm sorry about it and I'll try to do better in the future.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time - Blogs from CNN.com

Letterman delivers an apology tonight in his monologue. Points to Dave for doing a straight-forward, plain apology and none of the "I'm sorry you were offended" bullshit that we see too often.

Here's hoping this story dies out now and we can back off yet another round of "Palin is X" / "No, how dare you, she's Y!" I'm sure we'll be having another one in ... oh, a month.

It was kind of a coarse joke. There's no getting around it," Letterman said in the opening monologue of Monday night's show. ...Letterman said Monday night that he now realizes, "It doesn't make any difference what my intent was, it's the perception."

"As they say about jokes, if you have to explain the joke, it's not a very good joke," he said. "I take full blame for that."

"So, I would like to apologize, especially to the two daughters involved, Bristol and Willow, and also to the governor and her family and everybody else who was outraged by the joke," Letterman said. "I'm sorry about it and I'll try to do better in the future.

Letterman manned up.

It really was not that hard.

A smart thing to do.

I don't blame him for taking some time.

There were things to consider. Should he apologize every time a person does not like being the butt of his joke? No

Clinton, Spitzer, Hugh Grant no apologies.

McCain apologized for telling a joke about Chelsea Clinton and he did not do it on national T V.

Do we want a precedent where they can make crude jokes about Obama daughters when they are 14 or even 18?
I hope not.

triggered a Neil Young song in deep's skull

Awesome, you added a few spaces and made me sound as poetic as Neil Young. ;)

What? No apology to A-Rod? :gasp:

Nice of him to smooth things over. He's never struck me as a malicious or cruel man, and I've been a fan since the 80's.

I guess my whole point about Palin is that I feel if you want to be good at your job or craft you have to take the initiative to inform yourself about the pertinent information.

The best sales people not only know the products but they try and get to know their client, the read sales technique books, and keep up to date with their industry.

The best musicians not only practice their instrument but they listen to music and not just the genre they participate in, they genuinely love music.

The best architects learn the greats but also keep up with the current changes in the industry, materials, and methods.

She doesn't come off as someone who is genuinely interested in learning and keeping up with the world's current events, she doesn't come off as someone who wants to be informed. This is not the sign of someone who should be running the U.S.

She is no longer just a hockey mom governor of Alaska, she is someone that was running for the VP/ possible President of the U.S. The expectations change once you choose to take that role.

If by that you mean popular strong conservative women, then we have a few- Palin, Hutchison, Rice, Murkowski.

while these women are Republicans, are they conservatives? would they pass the Rush litmus test were they men?

how many of them are anti-choice?

Letterman manned up.

Do we want a precedent where they can make crude jokes about Obama daughters when they are 14 or even 18?
I hope not.

He didn't "man-up".
He's really not sincere and this apology was calculated.

The man's a weasel, and this is the best he could do.
:down:

<>

The left and the media fear Palin's popularity and attraction, and to counter that they call her names and attack her family and say that her infant son was not actually her child- anything to get people to laugh at her. That's why I see so much personal attack and so little actual policy debate by her detractors.

Palin is not popular. she is popular amongst the base of the GOP, but she has NO crossover appeal. none.

it's fun to see the right wing pull out "the media is against us" card, as if Anderson Cooper and Letterman get notes from the White House.

there's little to fear about Palin. she won't make it out of the primaries. and perhaps people would attack other things about her if she actually knew anything about the issues and had something of substance to offer. right now, she's a clown, a joke, a punchline. perhaps if she could articulate a semi-coherent policy position, then the conversation would change. but for now she represents some of the absolute worst Know-Nothing aspects of the USA.

note that, with Palin, this is what we're discussing. not Israel, not Iran, not oil, not global warming, not Netanyahu's astonishing call for a two-state solution.

someone was mean to my kid!

*that's* the level of discourse offered by Sarah Palin. she belongs on a reality show with the hot father of her grandchild.

I thought Letterman was brilliant tonight.

And by the way, I am a mother and am very protective of my daughter. I would never compromise her privacy for my own gain. I think Gov. Palin owes her daughters an apology as well.

What? Media stuff calculated? Say it ain't so!

Everything after the initial joke was calculated, on both sides.

Palin had every right to take offense, calculating her responses or not.

That said, people are preparing to demonstrate outside of CBS Studios asking that Letterman be fired.

Fire David Letterman campaign takes root; protest planned over comment on Sarah Palin's daughter

Perhaps this is why Letterman decided to apologize, because of the growing backlash. The guy is bad news, and it's sad to see so many try and defend, dismiss what he said, or put it on Sarah Palin.

Your priorities are sorely skewed.

Lastly, in an online 72% think Letterman should step down.

<>

^I think he should step down, but only because he's not funny. Craig Ferguson deserves the spotlight now. :wink:

Actually I take that back. If Craig is on at the same time as Conan again I will have to sacrifice one and I don't want to do that.

That said, people are preparing to demonstrate outside of CBS Studios asking that Letterman be fired.

The guy apologizes on the air and people are still going to show up and protest that he be fired? People want him to "step down"? A talk-show host? I'd say they're the ones with the skewed priorities.

I'd wager these are the same people that take Bill O'Reilly to be a serious reporter. I heard him go on and on and on and on about this on Saturday. :|
Letterman is just a comedian with an opinion. His words don't speak for anybody but himself. Get. over. it.

I hope such a development will never be seen here in Germany. Given, some jokes go quite far, and you have all rights to complain, but do we really need to take it to the extremes every time we don't agree with a joke?

Perhaps this is why Letterman decided to apologize, because of the growing backlash. The guy is bad news, and it's sad to see so many try and defend, dismiss what he said, or put it on Sarah Palin.

<>

These people are just as bat shit crazy...

Why is the guy bad news? Because he made a joke about someone you like?

Where was all the outrage from you folks when people including O'Reilly made jokes about Jamie Lynn Spears got pregnant?

Come on hypocrites, where was the outrage?

Perhaps these people should consider finding useful work to do during the day.

<>

You think a bad joke is grounds for a witch hunt and you think our priorities are skewed?? Spare me the patronizing bs, diamond.

And as we all know, online polls perfectly represent the opinion of the general public, so... bulletproof argument, dbs. :up:

YouTube - David Letterman Sarah Palin Top 10 September 25, 2008

oh... the outrage. the humanity of it all.

she should get back on her jesus horse and go back to alaska and never return.

btw david letterman was an ardent supporter of rudy giuliani, who appeared on his show 28 times.

but i guess rudy's not a real republican because he likes the gays and the baby killers, so that doesn't matter.

death to liberals!!

:rolleyes: utterly pathetic.

><

I hope such a development will never be seen here in Germany. Given, some jokes go quite far, and you have all rights to complain, but do we really need to take it to the extremes every time we don't agree with a joke?

and these are the same people who wail about "political correctness" and tear their hair out at organizations like GLAAD.

Well I've been taught one thing this week. The reason the "real" conservatives aren't coming in here and defending Palin in any real way is they're scared. It's out of fear. They fear we are right. They fear it was just a joke and that freedom of speech defends that joke. They fear that Palin just might not be as informed as they once hoped. They fear.

These people are just as bat shit crazy...

Why is the guy bad news?

Jamie Lynn Spears got pregnant?

Come on hypocrites, where was the outrage?

A) He joked about rape inolving a public servant's child.
B) Jamie Spears isn't even an elected official so it's not the same thing, but still wrong.
C) If one's only denfese is to tag decent people with names, this speaks volumes about one's character.

It's as simple as ABC.

<>

You think a bad joke is grounds for a witch hunt and you think our priorities are skewed?? Spare me the patronizing bs, diamond.

:up:

Yes, when joking about rape and it's an elected officials child -yes.

It's apparent our values are different.

<>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom