In case there was any doubt, Sarah Palin is bat shit crazy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fear that some of you actually look to this woman or Carrie Prejan as strong leaders.

It has nothing to do with them being viewed as leaders. It has to do with women, prominent or not, who hold beliefs that are the opposite of the liberal agenda and the opposite of what women in this country are "supposed" to believe. And apparently that warrants vicious personal attacks of calling someone slutty and saying someone used to be a man. But why have a healthy debate when you can slander someone? :cute:

There are extremely intelligent conservatives, these two women are not part of that crowd.

Can you give me some names, then?

Apparently you didn't get the memo - you can't consider yourself a Republican unless you like Sarah Palin - it's the new litmus test. It doesn't matter if she's demonstrated time and again that she's out of her depth when it comes to discussing important issues, or even what media she reads ("all of them" - brilliant!). Party unity trumps all. United we stand!

No.... :doh:

It has nothing to do with agreeing with her on issues, or even her knowledge of the issues. That can be debated both within and out of the party. That's fine, and I don't see how what you said here has to do with what I thought was being discussed. The idea that I'm getting from Headache and others (and what was the original reason for the thread) is that Palin is some sort of wacko for disliking what Letterman said and deciding to defend herself and her family. The vibe I'm getting in this thread is that she can't do that without being some sort of crazy nut.

Earnie Shavers said:
her brain only seems to work a micro second faster than her mouth, but not quite fast enough to construct proper sentences let alone a thoughtful argument

Sounds a bit like the current vice-president, no? Hell, even his boss sometimes.

It has nothing to do with agreeing with her on issues, or even her knowledge of the issues. That can be debated both within and out of the party. That's fine, and I don't see how what you said here has to do with what I thought was being discussed. The idea that I'm getting from Headache and others (and what was the original reason for the thread) is that Palin is some sort of wacko for disliking what Letterman said and deciding to defend herself and her family. The vibe I'm getting in this thread is that she can't do that without being some sort of crazy nut.

It's not so much that she disagrees, it's how she demonstrates her disagreement.

Haven't followed this so no idea what Palin's response has been but I do know that if someone took that kind of shot at my teenage daughter (14 or 18) they'd better expect public, verbal castration.

That said, Bristol has made herself a public figure in a realm that makes her an easy target. That's show business. :shrug:

Sounds a bit like the current vice-president, no? Hell, even his boss sometimes.

No, Biden makes perfect sense, he just wanders off script. Obama is almost too careful with every single word. Palin is simply hard to follow. I’m never really sure what’s going on when she speaks, and if you ever read any transcripts of interviews with her… well, it does not become any clearer. She just starts her mouth running. She’ll spit out the occasional well rehearsed right-wing rally cry, which I am sure is meant to be her point, but everything else around it is a mess. Far worse communicator than Bush. I think Bush understood, but couldn't deliver well, and I've even defended the likely level of his intelligence around here. Palin... nope. I can't believe any Republican of any level of intelligence could support her for even a second. I don't understand - truly - what people of any intelligence can see in her.

I’m not even making a political comment. She’s just not up to it, and I do truly think it was actually really unfair on her – the elevation, and thus exposure to the attacks. And you know, if she puts her hand up again (she almost certainly will) she’s going to get monstered in a way she never did last time around. Even just in the Republican primaries. You think Romney etc will play even remotely nice with her? And does she really, really stand a chance? Of course not. So those backing and supporting her are really doing nothing more than setting her up.

It has nothing to do with them being viewed as leaders. It has to do with women, prominent or not, who hold beliefs that are the opposite of the liberal agenda and the opposite of what women in this country are "supposed" to believe. And apparently that warrants vicious personal attacks of calling someone slutty and saying someone used to be a man. But why have a healthy debate when you can slander someone? :cute:
So you don't see Palin as a leader? What does them being women have to do with it? Do you not remember the Clinton dyke jokes? The Janet Reno jokes?

Can you give me some names, then?
What? You don't know any? That's just sad...

It has to do with women, prominent or not, who hold beliefs that are the opposite of the [whatever] agenda .... And apparently that warrants vicious personal attacks of calling someone slutty and saying someone used to be a man. But why have a healthy debate when you can slander someone?

Your pals on the right have taught us well, it seems. :sigh:

And it's unfortunate, for both sides, that gender is the first line of attack when disagreeing with a woman.

Because the Palins have ?

Plain's decision to have Trigg and Bristol's decision to have her baby were held up as the very model of the modern anti-abortion movement.

they have absolutely exploited their children for political gain -- hell, the Palins on the cover of People with those crazy old McCain's was pitched as if it were a fun Thursday night sitcom on NBC -- and will continue to do so. which they have every right to do. after all, all that "Sarah" has is her story.

but please stop crying me a river when someone makes an off-hand joke about it on a late night talk show.

Palin is just trying to get back in the news. it's a simple cry for attention, not much different than Heidi and Spencer.

One interesting difference is that the left condemns misogyny against Hilary, but turns a blind eye in respect of Palin.

got an example of this? or does it just fit in nicely with what we need to believe in order to further our anti-abortion convictions? (because the implication here, as i understand it, is that the reason Pail has been thrown under the bus by the "left" is because she's anti-choice).

Seriously, the obsession you and others seem to have with Palin is just disturbing. I think there's something about strong, attractive women standing up for what they believe in (see Carrie Prejean) who are the antithesis of a liberal Democrat.

no. it's because these particular women are idiots.

:shrug:

She's 18 and accepted an appointment as a public spokesperson. If she did it to please her mom, so what, she is now a public figure in her own right.

Bristol is only a public figure due to the fact that her mother paraded her around the country.

And I disagree with people who say Palin isn't smart. She's smart, but not well educated.

I'm VERY happy knowing she is not in or near the White House.

Bristol is only a public figure due to the fact that her mother paraded her around the country.

And I disagree with people who say Palin isn't smart. She's smart, but not well educated.

I'm VERY happy knowing she is not in or near the White House.

She apparently got a BA in journalism. I'd say she's educated, but not particularly smart, as well as lacking in common sense and self awareness.

I'd also say that Bristol has made herself a public figure independent of her mother, at this point.

She apparently got a BA in journalism. I'd say she's educated, but not particularly smart, as well as lacking in common sense and self awareness.

I'd also say that Bristol has made herself a public figure independent of her mother, at this point.

I question the quality of her education since she has exhibited a lack there of.

From what I have witnessed, I tend to think there is a lack of independence for the Palin offspring no matter what their age.

Regardless of how I feel about Gov. Palin being a future Presidential contender, I do wish Bristol well.

I know plenty. But I'm curious to see who you think are acceptable, intelligent conservatives, since you said there are some.

Most of those that came to mind were local politicians or personal friends.

But I would also list Colin Powell, I think the problem with the "conservative" movement is the people you choose to be your spokespeople.

I can understand where you come from economicially, I can even understand where you come from on some social stances(I still think you are wrong but I can understand where that thinking comes from), but when you revel in choosing people that flat out deny science(or just don't care to understand it), ignore human rights for some stubborn belief to be imposed, and just over all choose the anti-intellectual idealogues as your spokespeople, i.e. Rush, Palin, Joe the Plumber, Jindal it's just embarassing.

it seems that contemporary post-Bush conservatism doesn't value being smart and educated -- look at the spokespeople: Bush, Cheney, Gingrich, Palin.

you have Bobby Jindal who's very bright, on paper, but his response to the SOTU sounded like Kenneth from 30 Rock -- it was patronizing, and incredibly dumbed-down.

Peggy Noonan and David Brooks are very intelligent, yet both were disgusted by Bush (and are by the current leaders of the GOP), and now the Rush crowd wants to brand them RINOs like Colin Powell and chase them out of the party. it's a witch hunt of their own.

it seems that the GOP is self-immolating right now, and all you're left with are big-n-dumb, religious fanatic, populist types (Palin, Huckabee, what Jindal wants to be) and the most vicious, hateful, irresponsible pundits (Rush, Malkin, Coulter, Beck, Hannity). it's telling, i think, that the loudest voices of the party are really entertainers out to make a buck.

i think the GOP needs to be more accepting of moderation and diversity if they ever want to get back into power, and the party has to seriously take a look at itself and wonder why their appeal to minorities and women -- especially women -- is deteriorating so rapidly.

name me an elected female Republican superstar. because i can't think of one at the moment.

The View ladies came out an denounced Letterman. It took them a few days, but hey there's hope perhaps.

I think most of the posters in this thread *do not* have children, and their paradigm would shift and their comments wouldn't be so visceral and angry-if they did.

<>

I'm a mother, and I still come down on the "Palin is batshit crazy" side of things.

And, like many commenters on various feminist blogs I've read over the weekend, I'm finding it very difficult to give a shit about this "controversy."

I think most of the posters in this thread *do not* have children, and their paradigm would shift and their comments wouldn't be so visceral and angry-if they did.

<>

My child wouldn't also be on the cover of People magazine showing the hypocricy of abstinence only.

They did this to themselves, so spare me the self-righteousness.

I'm a mother, and I still come down on the "Palin is batshit crazy" side of things.

And, like many commenters on various feminist blogs I've read over the weekend, I'm finding it very difficult to give a shit about this "controversy."

:up:

it seems that the GOP is self-immolating right now, and all you're left with are big-n-dumb, religious fanatic, populist types (Palin, Huckabee, what Jindal wants to be) and the most vicious, hateful, irresponsible pundits (Rush, Malkin, Coulter, Beck, Hannity). it's telling, i think, that the loudest voices of the party are really entertainers out to make a buck.

The problem with liberals is that they see Rush and Beck and Hannity and these "evil" people as leaders of any consequence in the Republican party. They're not. They're commentators. Do you see Keith Olbermann or Bill Maher as leaders of the Democratic Party? If you don't want Rush or any of the others to have an influence on your life, don't listen to them. Rush can't raise your taxes or create waiting lists at hospitals or put my future ancestors in debt or release photos that will endanger our military. I wish all I had to do was not listen to Obama and the people who run the country in order for them not to have an influence on my life, but sadly that doesn't quite do the trick...

name me an elected female Republican superstar. because i can't think of one at the moment.

Define superstar. If by that you mean popular strong conservative women, then we have a few- Palin, Hutchison, Rice, Murkowski. There aren't many, but they do exist. The Republicans are out of power at the moment. If I had asked you in 2003 or 2005 to name some prominent Democratic women, I probably would have gotten a short list.

By the way, maybe some of you saw the latest Gallup poll out. 40% of Americans define themselves as conservatives. 35% call themselves moderate, and 21% liberal. Unlike in 2008, if conservative candidates run in 2010 and 2012, the GOP looks poised for a comeback based on that poll. Conservatives always outnumber liberals by roughly 2-1 in such polls, but this should be troubling news to those who think the country is suddenly turning dark blue and falling in love with everything the Democrats are doing. Also, maybe you saw the poll a few days ago where 42% trust the Republicans on the economy versus 36% for the Democrats.

Again I say the seemingly endless bashing of Palin must be based on fear that she can win in 2012. That's the only reason. If she was really such a dumb candidate with no appeal and would be a breeze to defeat, why trash her? You should be building her up so she wins the nomination and get destroyed by Obama, right? All this talk about her being uninformed and stupid is nonsense. Even if that is true- which, of course, it isn't, but even if it was- if there's one thing we learned in November it's that you can win the White House even if you have no substance or knowledge of policy as long as you resonate with people.

BVS said:
They did this to themselves, so spare me the self-righteousness.

Are you saying that anyone who is imperfect and falters and does something they were taught not to do deserves whatever is thrown at them, no matter how unnecessary and vicious? Because that's what I'm getting from you. From what I see, Bristol is turning what happened to her into a great positive and she should be applauded for how she is handling her new life.

Again I say the seemingly endless bashing of Palin must be based on fear that she can win in 2012. That's the only reason. If she was really such a dumb candidate with no appeal and would be a breeze to defeat, why trash her? You should be building her up so she wins the nomination and get destroyed by Obama, right? All this talk about her being uninformed and stupid is nonsense. Even if that is true- which, of course, it isn't, but even if it was- if there's one thing we learned in November it's that you can win the White House even if you have no substance or knowledge of policy as long as you resonate with people.

This is one of the most laughable, factually inaccurate, partisan, biased statements I've ever read on this board.

I kind of hope she does throw her hat into the ring in '12, because it would be endlessly amusing to see how the other candidates deal with her in the primaries. :)

Ok one parent stepped up out of 30 plus posters.

Anyone else?

Do *any* of you ever that post hateful posts stop and do the math or look at things objectively?

<>

Again I say the seemingly endless bashing of Palin must be based on fear that she can win in 2012.

The media feared that Palin might derail their man Obama in 2008.

But she doesn't have a snowball's chance at the White House in 2012 (imho). The media kicks her and her family around for sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom