In case there was any doubt, Sarah Palin is bat shit crazy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i didnt find it "offensive", but then again i dont find 99.9% of what other people say "offensive." just words to me. what do i care what letterman or anyone else says? :shrug:

I'm sure the same people calling for Letterman's firing will be calling for these two to take action as well...

don't hold your breath.

[ ** This post was in response to this one, which is now in this thread following a thread split. --yolland]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes she was-it was Willow. If he had done some fact checking he would have known that and I'm sure he wouldn't have made such a joke. Then perception vs intent wouldn't have even been an issue.

Yeah, his team of writers probably dropped the ball. I'm sure Dave doesn't write his own monologue most nights. And he's smarter than to make that joke about a 14 year old.

It deserved a serious apology, and it was given.

yes
it is way funny if you think about Bristol the 18 year old c*cksucking crack whore :up:

that dave. is a funny guy.

I don't think it's funny at all if you think about Bristol-fyi. She's an 18 year old who had a baby and had her life publicly scrutinized and I'm sure it hasn't been easy at all for her. I feel compassion for her and don't like those "jokes" about her either-leave her out of it too.

Dave can do much better than that (and much better than slutty looking flight attendant too). He's seemingly an intelligent guy. Even if he didn't write it, he didn't have to read it. He's a father too.

Apology made and accepted and hopefully something learned

I was going to post it in the Letterman thread but then I thought better than to do that...

[ **This was in response to BVS' post above; they were separated by a thread split. --yolland]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a big fan of Letterman
but from what I've seen of him the joke doesn't seem too far apart from his usual jokes
instead of Madonna, Britney it was the Palins
:shrug:

Conservatives FYMers standing up for women. It's a big moment. :cute:

But it'll all evaporate next time big, mean, butch Hillary or some other castrating Democrat bitch does something to piss them off. :tsk:

Talk about opportunists. Jesus. :|

Conservatives FYMers standing up for women. It's a big moment. :cute:

But it'll all evaporate next time big, mean, butch Hillary or some other castrating Democrat bitch does something to piss them off. :tsk:

Talk about opportunists. Jesus. :|

Dearie, you don't seem to realize that most of the posts about Hilary are just designed to get a reaction - and you guys always fall for it.

Vincent Vega said "There are just words that are not necessary in comedy." I agree. "Slutty" is one of those words, as are jokes referencing an innocent child's rape.

Everyone has to draw the line where he sees fit. For me it depends on the context mainly, but some words can hardly be put into an acceptable context.
I wouldn't see that "slutty" can never fit. But well, as referred to before, there are different standards as to what constitutes comedy, or better, what comedy is allowed to say.
Well, you might see it different, which I can understand considering our very different world views, but for me there is a big difference between "nappy headed hos" and "slutty" or "knocked up" (which I wouldn't translate to rape), so I don't see the reaction of some crowd as justified.

Perhaps these people should consider finding useful work to do during the day.

You would never say something like that if it was a leftwing group protesting something. Never in a million years. In fact, if a conservative FYM poster said that a gay rights group or the NAACP should consider finding useful work to do during the day, they would be called a bigot.

So, yeah, Diamond is right. There's a double standard at play here right enough.

As for the hillbillies comment, I guess there is something in the metropolitan liberal elitist stereotype after all.

You would never say something like that if it was a leftwing group protesting something. Never in a million years. In fact, if a conservative FYM poster said that a gay rights group or the NAACP should consider finding useful work to do during the day, they would be called a bigot.

Except these protestors aren't out protesting for something meaningful, like equal rights for all, they're protesting someone making a joke in poor taste about one of their own. That's it.

Except these protestors aren't out protesting for something meaningful, like equal rights for all, they're protesting someone making a joke in poor taste about one of their own. That's it.

Interesting. Who gets to decide what is meaningful? Is it the fact that essentially they are defending family values that makes them objectionable to lefties?

I think it no coincidence most pro abortionists are silent in their support for Palin here, while defending, or minimalizing Letterman's actions.

It's not rocket science; and it's not a woman thing-it's an agenda.:up:

:whistle:

<>

Headache said "there is a very thin line between comedy and racism." Can't the same be said for sexism, and can't it be argued that Letterman crossed it?

It's funny you would use Headache's quote here, for if you read the rest of the Imus thread (or read Headache's earlier posts in this thread) you would have seen that Headache went on to ultimately defend Imus (and his right to free speech) and was against firing him.

I think that's it too-they are trying to put it into a larger context for some reason (s).. we can speculate on those I suppose. They say it's about womens rights-they are wondering why NOW isn't talking about this, etc. I don't support any sort of double standard on the issue, but I do wonder about Sarah Palin. Like I said here before, I just think she was in way over her head. But her looks and her kids have nothing to do with that.

I just feel for her daughters-even if Bristol is in a public role by her own choice now I still don't think it's necessary. Certainly Dave and his writers could come up with endless other jokes about A Fraud-the material he provides himself is endless.

Interesting. Who gets to decide what is meaningful? Is it the fact that essentially they are defending family values that makes them objectionable to lefties?

Oh, that's clever. So "lefties" don't like "family values" now, eh?

It's incredibly sad that "family values" has come to connote right wing agendas, as if "lefties" don't care about their families. :rolleyes:

As was noted earlier in this thread, Palin herself has accepted Letterman's apology. But as is usually the case in American politics, witch hunts make for much more exciting news, and help froth up unnecessary us-vs-them paranoia/anger.

I'm sure the same people calling for Letterman's firing will be calling for these two to take action as well...

don't hold your breath.

I don't know who you're referring to, but I'm not calling for Letterman's firing. I wanted him to apologize, which he did now.

As for this, it was a tasteless comment.

However, I could just have easily said (as many did with Letterman) "Freedom of speech! Michelle should just suck it up and move on. She did this to herself." And wait a second, all you people think we evolved from monkeys anyway, right? You should be applauding this guy. A Republican who believes in evolution. :cute:

It would take a degree of pondering on your part to connect the dots.
I don't want to make this easy on you Gina.
Study it in your mind, and get back with me.

<>

Dearie, you don't seem to realize that most of the posts about Hilary are just designed to get a reaction - and you guys always fall for it.

It's interesting to see these two try and pretend to defend women and family values and you both choose to patronize and talk down to the women as you do so...

Speaks volumes.

I don't know who you're referring to, but I'm not calling for Letterman's firing. I wanted him to apologize, which he did now.
Did you not see Diamond's posts in the other thread about people protesting and asking for his firing?
As for this, it was a tasteless comment.
It was a racist comment, clear and simple.
However, I could just have easily said (as many did with Letterman) "Freedom of speech! Michelle should just suck it up and move on. She did this to herself." And wait a second, all you people think we evolved from monkeys anyway, right? You should be applauding this guy. A Republican who believes in evolution. :cute:
She did this to herself???!!! I'm sorry did she have any say as to how she was born? WOW!!!

Do you know the history of racism and reference to monkeys and gorillas? I'd say I'm shocked but I'm not...

The difference here, besides the blatant ignorance on both of your parts, is that this wan't a comedian on a talk show that's paid to tell jokes.

Wow, just wow!!! It just shines through...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom