In case there was any doubt, Sarah Palin is bat shit crazy. - Page 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:50 AM   #481
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Because she got knocked up. Not because she chose to keep the child.
I presume you mean pregnant?

if she did not choose to keep the child no one would know she was ever pregnant

so it is because she chose to keep the child.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:59 AM   #482
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post

Clearly an exaggeration, but obviously some things aren't OK, but others are. If you want to have a discussion about taste, then fine, and I agree it wasn't the most tasteful of jokes - but to demand that he is fired, or whatever the massive overreaction has been, especially post-apology, is silly.
There has been some over-reaction, sure. I can't speak for others, but I never called for Letterman to be fired, and once he apologized (the second time, not the phony first apology) then I considered the incident over and done with.

I'm sure in comedy clubs across the country there have been much, much worse things said about the Palins and others. But when you're on a nationally televised show with a responsibility to advertisers, I think Letterman was showing bad judgment in telling the joke- a joke that was a) tasteless and offensive, b) confusing, by his own admission, and c) in my opinion, not a funny joke at all, no matter who the subjects were. Like I said, Johnny Carson never would have told that joke.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:02 AM   #483
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
and c) in my opinion, not a funny joke at all, no matter who the subjects were.
Well, that's never stopped Letterman before.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:11 AM   #484
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
c) in my opinion, not a funny joke at all, no matter who the subjects were. Like I said, Johnny Carson never would have told that joke.

I actually rewrote the joke with different subjects to see if it changed my opinion

here is what I came up with

a. The Obama's went to the ball game, during the 7th inning stretch A-Rod knocked up Michele.

b, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi went to the ball game, during the 7th inning stretch A-Rod knocked up Pelosi.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #485
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I think he showed extremely poor taste.
That's all I think too-nothing more, nothing less. Not the first time for comedians, not the last. I don't think he has a pattern of going that "far" as someone like Imus might, but he's past my bedtime now so I haven't watched him for quite a while and don't record it anymore. Whatever anyone else thinks about what he said really isn't worth my time or anger, I'm not going to waste time labeling them or getting all bent out of shape about it. Make jokes about things Sarah Palin has said or done, things that matter and are relevant and leave her kids out if it-that's just my personal preference. If Governor Palin runs again in 2012 things will take care of themselves.

Tuesday afternoon's "Fire David Letterman" rally proved to be a failure, as it drew more press than activists, CNN reports:

A crowd of 15 protesters upset with the late night comic held signs and occasionally shouted as they stood across the street from Letterman's studio.

But they were often hidden from view by the more than 35 members of the media there to cover the protest, and out-shouted by a few very vocal counter-protesters.

New York Magazine videographer Jonah Green was one of those press members, and he captured a disturbing video of several of those protesters in hate-filled rants against the CBS "Late Show" host.

Among the more alarming lines of attack -- particularly given that the rally was held because Letterman supposedly made a joke about Sarah Palin's teenage daughter Willow -- was that Letterman's son Harry was born out of wedlock (he recently wed Regina Lasko after dating for over a decade).

"Should we talk about his son?" one protester asked Green. "I believe his son was born out of wedlock. I believe there's a term for that."

"Is someone making jokes about his child?" asked another. "Especially, you know, when he had a daughter out of wedlock himself" (he didn't; 5-year-old Harry is his only child).

"How dare he?" asked yet a third, the most offensive of all. "When he has a bastard son, and a slut for a wife" (Letterman's wife Lasko has kept a notoriously low profile).

It should be noted that Sarah Palin's teenage daughter Bristol gave birth to baby Tripp (out-of-wedlock) in December and broke up with the baby's father, Levi Johnston, in March.

Other conservative talking points thrown around at the rally included, "Close the borders!" and "I only watch Fox News," as well as the general sentiment that Jay Leno is a better host than Letterman .
Old 06-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #486
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:12 PM
It's been an educational thread exposing each poster's biased opinions.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #487
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
It's been an educational thread exposing each poster's biased opinions.

you've exposed the cowards and hypocrites brilliantly, as per usual.

thank you for your service.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #488
Blue Crack Addict

It's like an after school special

Or a very special episode
Old 06-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #489
ONE
love, blood, life

and a choir of jaded cynics.

<>
Old 06-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #490
Blue Crack Addict

I like baseball
Old 06-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #491
ONE
love, blood, life

This could become a trend:

Quote:
Olive Garden pulls Letterman ads
Tagsavid Letterman Back to top Listen Print Comment Email Recommend Subscribe By ANDY BARR |

CBS late night comic David Letterman.
Photo: AP

Following a week of back and forth between CBS late night comic David Letterman and Sarah Palin over a crude joke he told about the Alaska Republican governor’s daughter, the Olive Garden restaurant says it is cancelling all of its scheduled ads on Letterman’s “Late Show” for the rest of the year.

In an email to a Letterman critic obtained by POLITICO, a spokeswoman for the Italian restaurant chain wrote that “there will be no more Olive Garden ads scheduled for ‘The Late Show’ with David Letterman in this year's broadcast schedule,” citing the talk show host’s “inappropriate comments.”

“We apologize that Mr. Letterman’s mistake, which was not consistent with our standards and values, left you with a bad impression of Olive Garden,” wrote Sherri Bruen, the company’s guest relations manager.

Bruen said the company “screens network television programs whenever possible,” but explained that “telecasts, such as ‘The Late Show’ with David Letterman, are taped on a daily basis, preventing advertisers from reviewing the content prior to airing.”

A spokesman for the company confirmed Thursday that for now it has cancelled all its remaining scheduled ads on the CBS program for the rest of the year.

Conservative radio host John Ziegler, who previously interviewed Palin for his film “Media Malpractice: How Obama Got Elected and Palin Was Targeted,” organized a lightly attended protest Tuesday outside the “Late Show” studio.

Ziegler has listed contact information for 14 advertisers on Letterman’s show, including Olive Garden, on his website dedicated to the comedian’s firing. He called the news an “obvious victory” but vowed to continue “our quest for some sense of accountability for Letterman in this matter.”

Letterman has apologized for his comment last week about Palin’s daughter getting “knocked up by Alex Rodriguez” during the governor’s recent visit to a Yankees baseball game. Palin attended the game as part of a trip to New York.

“I told a joke that was beyond flawed, and my intent is completely meaningless compared to the perception,” Letterman said. “And since it was a joke I told, I feel that I need to do the right thing here and apologize for having told that joke.”

After repeatedly blasting the late night comic in statements and interviews last week, Palin accepted Letterman’s apology on Tuesday.

“Letterman certainly has the right to ‘joke’ about whatever he wants to, and thankfully we have the right to express our reaction,” she said in a statement.

Olive Garden pulls Letterman ads - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com
Old 06-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #492
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
and a choir of jaded cynics.

diamond: breaking hearts and necks since May 2002.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #493
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
This could become a trend:
so could this:

As Furor Over Palin Joke Rages, Letterman Rises in the Ratings - Media Decoder Blog - NYTimes.com
Old 06-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #494
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
diamond: breaking hearts and necks since May 2002.
db9:the counter weight of reason in FYM.

Samson vs The Philistines

Old 06-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #495
Blue Crack Addict

Your humility is overwhelming

Tags
sarah palin