In case there was any doubt, Sarah Palin is bat shit crazy. - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2009, 06:45 AM   #301
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,671
Local Time: 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
Being labeled "promiscuous" is entirely different from being called a "hooker".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
Ha! I was going to post the same comment.

(flight attendants and their daughters may be promiscuous but surely aren't hookers)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
If you want to argue the point, at least be accurate.

Hookers get remunerated for their services. Letterman made no such implication.
These comments along with the fact that Palin herself, Fox, or any other supporter until Fguy made this connection. I couldn't find ONE person talking about this story in the media or in here that made this connection until fguy made this, and when fguy made this connection he said we all must have not viewed the clip if we didn't get this connection. He made it sound obvious, like everyone knew this, well apparently we were all stupid, every single person talking about this story except fguy.

How come not one person in the whole media, Palin, or in here got this? Yet when fguy pointed it out, I all of a sudden became the bad guy?



Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
you are really doing gymnastics not to concede that Letterman implied prostitution

why is it so hard just to say, 'oh yeah, I see your point" ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
You know, Mr. Supastar, I agree with you on most points as we have similar political views. But your inability to admit that you're wrong, that someone else may actually have a valid point, makes you just as bad as those you accuse of not understanding your point.

It's absolutely baffling to me, and must make you a very miserable person to have a debate with in real life.
Read above.


Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
bending over backwards to defend it, because it is targeted at Palin
But I didn't bend over backwards to defend this joke. In fact I stated the joke was of poor choice.

I only stated that I understand why Palin is the target she is...

And then the conversation took an ugly turn when 2861 made the egregious comparison that comparing Michelle Obama to a gorilla by a South Carolina official is the same thing as the Letterman joke. Fguy tried to defend him and then started to divert the conversation by focusing on the hooker tangent.

Maybe some of you didn't see this twist since it started in another thread and then got merged, but I'm pretty shocked that it got overlooked but I became the enemy because I didn't happen to see a reference that so many of you and the rest of the country didn't see.



I never thought I would see the day when blatant racism got glanced over but a hooker reference missed by the whole world would turn someone into a target...
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 06-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #302
Refugee
 
MadelynIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Craggy Island
Posts: 1,504
Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
but I became the enemy
How does being wrong make you the enemy? No wonder conservatives are loathed so much on this forum. Ha!

And I know nothing about this thread, just read BVS last post.

One thing that is very rare in FYM, is people admitting they were/are wrong. Even more rarely, do we see people actually changing their views, either side of the aisle.

I'd like to see that more often here! That would be healthy.
__________________

__________________
MadelynIris is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #303
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,671
Local Time: 07:36 AM
Yeah, "enemy" wasn't the correct word...

I just woke up(haven't had any coffee) and saw this barrage of people jumping on me "must make you a very miserable person to have a debate with in real life", people applauding him, and others making me the poster boy for something others were saying as well.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 06-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #304
Refugee
 
MadelynIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Craggy Island
Posts: 1,504
Local Time: 08:36 AM


Yeah, you are ok. Welcome to the 'other side of the fight'. It's hard, huh?

Sometimes, it's best to bow your way out the door. I love ya BVS.

Drink some more coffee. I've been up since 2:30 here in DC, and I've got a big day. I'll be dragging tonight.

Ahhh coffee.
__________________
MadelynIris is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 07:25 AM   #305
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,671
Local Time: 07:36 AM
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #306
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
And then the conversation took an ugly turn when 2861 made the egregious comparison that comparing Michelle Obama to a gorilla by a South Carolina official is the same thing as the Letterman joke.
........................
I never thought I would see the day when blatant racism got glanced over but a hooker reference missed by the whole world would turn someone into a target...
To be fair BVS, he never made any attempt to compare the two in terms of offensiveness; he simply suggested that if he were to employ what he perceives as the tactics of some of Letterman's defenders, his response might be along the lines of 'Michelle should suck it up and get over it; she asked for it by being in the public eye.' It also seemed pretty clear to me from the context that he was suggesting he'd in fact consider that a lousy response if anyone actually made it in earnest.

The SC story, while ugly, sounds like it's probably awfully small potatoes to me--the guy was a former election commission official, and this was a comment he made on his personal Facebook page which then wound up as a screenshot on some local political blog. I'd have to know more than I do about the SC political scene to have any sense how influential this guy still is, but it doesn't seem likely offhand that he would much be--which would make the incident of little more consequence than any other racist Facebook comment about Michelle Obama, which I have to imagine there's quite a few of out there.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #307
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,671
Local Time: 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
To be fair BVS, he never made any attempt to compare the two in terms of offensiveness; he simply suggested that if he were to employ what he perceives as the tactics of some of Letterman's defenders, his response might be along the lines of 'Michelle should suck it up and get over it; she asked for it by being in the public eye.' It also seemed pretty clear to me from the context that he was suggesting he'd in fact consider that a lousy response if anyone actually made it in earnest.
But I think the comparison of "I could have easily said..." shows the lack of understand where these "jokes" came from. One was an attack on character and one was an attack on who she was born. If it was a joke about Michelle's character or the way she dressed, etc... he would have had a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
As for this, it was a tasteless comment.

However, I could just have easily said (as many did with Letterman) "Freedom of speech! Michelle should just suck it up and move on. She did this to herself."
But to say the "she did this to herself" would have been a comparable(even if he tought lousy) response shows a huge lack of understanding of the two different situations.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
And wait a second, all you people think we evolved from monkeys anyway, right? You should be applauding this guy. A Republican who believes in evolution.
But I think this was the icing on the cake, if he had not made this joke it may have not been so obvious that he lacks the understanding of such a comment. It was an ignorant statement, period.


Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
The SC story, while ugly, sounds like it's probably awfully small potatoes to me--the guy was a former election commission official, and this was a comment he made on his personal Facebook page which then wound up as a screenshot on some local political blog. I'd have to know more than I do about the SC political scene to have any sense how influential this guy still is, but it doesn't seem likely offhand that he would much be--which would make the incident of little more consequence than any other racist Facebook comment about Michelle Obama, which I have to imagine there's quite a few of out there.
I completely agree, I think the story just reminds us how ugly and prevelant racism still is today.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #308
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,334
Local Time: 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
-but i wont call her a shrew anymore, innocous as the word is to those outside of FYM.

And you're just wrong here. Try calling your boss a shrew and then laughing and explaining how innocuous that word is. Go ahead, try it. We'll wait.




Oh. That's right. You're all about women's rights now, so it'll be fine with her, won't it?
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #309
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,692
Local Time: 08:36 AM
THAT WAS IT???!!

Jesus Christ people! 21 pages over that?!
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is online now  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #310
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,404
Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
A) He joked about rape inolving a public servant's child.
B) Jamie Spears isn't even an elected official so it's not the same thing, but still wrong.
C) If one's only denfese is to tag decent people with names, this speaks volumes about one's character.

It's as simple as ABC.

<>
A) NO... HE... DIDN'T...

B) who cares

C) HE'S A FUCKING COMEDIAN... IT'S WHAT HE DOES... IT'S HIS JOB... HE GETS PAID $40 MILLION PER YEAR TO DO IT... HE MAKES JOKES... HOLY SHIT.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #311
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,404
Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
You really sound pretty stupid here.
have you realized that you're arguing that a person who is paid to make jokes was offensive?

and i sound stupid? that's cute.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #312
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,664
Local Time: 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
These comments along with the fact that Palin herself, Fox, or any other supporter until Fguy made this connection. I couldn't find ONE person talking about this story in the media or in here that made this connection until fguy made this, and when fguy made this connection he said we all must have not viewed the clip if we didn't get this connection. He made it sound obvious, like everyone knew this, well apparently we were all stupid, every single person talking about this story except fguy.

How come not one person in the whole media, Palin, or in here got this? Yet when fguy pointed it out, I all of a sudden became the bad guy?

My comment that you quoted above was made before I realized that Spitzer was also included in the joke. Once I realized this, I posted a comment stating that I could see how people might perceive the implication that Palin's daughter was a hooker. That conclusion is not a huge leap for anyone to make, in my opinion.


Quote:
Read above.
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #313
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,404
Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
THAT WAS IT???!!

Jesus Christ people! 21 pages over that?!
it's a sad sad world ain't it?
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #314
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,404
Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
I could see how people might perceive the implication that Palin's daughter was a hooker.
yes. those people are called humorless twits. or idiots. your choice.

this was not a political pundit or talking head who made these comments... this was not another politician, a rival, a liberal even...

this...was..a...comedian. he makes jokes. jokes, people. jokes. it's his job. it's what he's paid to do.

only someone who's view is so incredibly slanted that they only see what they want to see would see what letterman said and go "oh, david letterman thinks sarah palin's daughter is a hooker who should be raped."

i can not fathom the thought process of such a person. it is alien to me. frankly, i think someone who would come to that conclusion is either ...

a) drinking so much republican kool aid that they are no longer capable of rational thought
b) bat shit crazy.
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 06-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #315
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,692
Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
it's a sad sad world ain't it?
it really is
__________________

__________________
elevated_u2_fan is online now  
Closed Thread

Tags
sarah palin

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com