IMF Head Dominique Strauss Kahn held on attempted rape charges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think his life's work is completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter if he cleans toilets or if he's the Pope, a crime is a crime and he should not be looked upon any more favorably than anyone else because of his 'valid work'. That's quite an elitist view, if you don't mind me saying.

Again, not seeking justifications for his work but I hate it when good men, whose work benefits all, get taken down by a sex scandal. It seems that it nullifies their sacrfices and achievements. Like it would be a shame if some man cured cancer and then someone discredited by revealing accusations of an illicit sex act. I just think one outweighs the other.

Again, not seeking justifications for his work but I hate it when good men, whose work benefits all, get taken down by a sex scandal. It seems that it nullifies their sacrfices and achievements. Like it would be a shame if some man cured cancer and then someone discredited by revealing accusations of an illicit sex act. I just think one outweighs the other.

But this is not a "sex scandal" or an "illicit sex act". This is an alleged sex CRIME. Different things. But I believe in France the line between the two is somewhat blurred.

^ I don't think it's legally blurred. But certainly one recurrent theme of the coverage has been that the French media's policy (under threat of libel suits) of not reporting on powerful men's sexual 'indiscretions' may cast too wide a net, so that not only extramarital affairs (arguably indeed nobody's business) but also extensive alleged histories of sexual harassment and assault in varying degrees, routinely go unreported. To the detriment of women who are expected to work with such men in professional contexts, because it establishes a de facto social precedent that such behavior is an elite man's privilege, and not yours (women's) to question or challenge.

I hate it when good men, whose work benefits all, get taken down by a sex scandal.

By "get taken down" you seem to imply that someone else is at fault here? What is your definition of forced oral sex and attempted rape? Really curious....

It's somewhat like the Polanski case all over again (though, of course, there is no suggestion whatever that the victim here was under-age).

I am not into Francophobia but the reactions of some of their media and political elite are stunning.

I don't care who you are and how many amazing things you have done, but if you commit a crime, you should pay for it. Your good works, your money, your reputation mean diddly squat if you have done something bad.

Many people are able to separate Polanski the artist from Polanski the criminal, and people will be able to separate the good things this guy has done from his alleged crime (although honestly, the number of people who make excuses for Polanski is an entirely different can of worms).

The good things this guy has done will remain and won't get magically erased from the world if he's convicted of a crime.

I don't care who you are and how many amazing things you have done, but if you commit a crime, you should pay for it. Your good works, your money, your reputation mean diddly squat if you have done something bad.

That approach doesn't make great men or women. I am of the "to make an omlette you have to break eggs" school of thought which of course will not win many fans in a rape case. When people have large ambitions and consequential actions there is going to be fallout. My point is that sometimes the law is petty comapred to peoples ambitions.

Kenneth Starr had Bill Clinton on the basis of 'law' but we all knew he was being a squirmy little shit in his actions back in 1998.

... what? That reads like you're saying someone like him should get a pass for a few "broken eggs," like ... oh, say ... rape.

That can't be what you're saying, right? Please elaborate if that's not actually what you meant.

By "get taken down" you seem to imply that someone else is at fault here? What is your definition of forced oral sex and attempted rape? Really curious....

Well, my point is that in the publics mind DSK is now an alleged rapist and his political career is done. The matter is still before the courts so everyone should reserve judgment. We don't have to look far, only to the 2006 Duke lacrosse case to realize that false rape allegation do occurr.

lets check with that accusser as of late.

Duke lacrosse accuser arrested on arson, assault charges | duke, accuser, durham - Top News - Burlington Times News

Ouch!

I understand women of this board are sensitive to this case but let the courts decide. I also find it interesting that the accusser is from Africa. Maybe allgeations and such are common place in that continent buts lets wait until the courts decide. Lets stop the crucifixtion of accomplished men before any women on th planet utters four letters.

... what? That reads like you're saying someone like him should get a pass for a few "broken eggs," like ... oh, say ... rape.

That can't be what you're saying, right? Please elaborate if that's not actually what you meant.

No that came out wrong. Terribly misunderstood. I updated a link to wikipedia to clarify my quote. Which actually doen't do any justice to what I was trying to say.

Thank you for clarifying. False rape accusations hurt not only the accused but women who have actually been raped, as it makes people less willing to believe them, and therefore makes women less likely to press charges in fear of not being believed or the public scrutiny.

Yes, it happens, and it's unacceptable. Of course the courts should decide. But my gut reaction is to believe the victim. I'm not on any jury, and I'm sure that kind of thinking would have me dismissed from the pool, so it really doesn't matter what I think.

I think that being from "Africa" has alot to do with it. It might be socially acceptable to extort money from powerful people in Africa but not over here.

There are also 'stratification' issues in this case with him being a powerful man. Them being from two different continents is of consequence.

I think that being from "Africa" has alot to do with it. It might be socially acceptable to extort money from powerful people in Africa but not over here.

There are also 'stratification' issues in this case with him being a powerful man. Them being from two different continents is of consequence.

Please tell us you are not being serious.

But this is not a "sex scandal" or an "illicit sex act". This is an alleged sex CRIME.

yep, absolutely different things, nothing like Clinton etc...

But I believe in France the line between the two is somewhat blurred.

it certainly shouldn't be the case, but it does appear to be coming across like that at the moment sadly...

i read the other day that out of 75,000 rapes committed in France only 10% press charges as it's so difficult for women to be taken seriously, just disgusting really...

also, some French women are saying that it's a good thing this happened in the US because if it had happened in France we never would've heard about it, which is very telling indeed!

wtf?

I'd love if you could clarify what the nationality of the maid has to do with anything here. Because to me it sounds like you're suggesting that this maid (who, by all accounts, was extremely traumatized by the event) must've been trying to extort money from DSK, because she's African and that's what "they" do.

I really hope that's not what you're actually suggesting.

As to the stratification issues... again, you're going to need to clarify, because to me it sounds like you're blaming the maid for this whole situation. Is a man not responsible for his actions?

Last edited:

Same here

No one is trying to "crucify" powerful men-some of them can do a good enough job of that on their own. I reserve judgment regarding what happened here, but power and money often leads to arrogance and a sense of entitlement. Even if this guy has been completely set up, what I have read about him and the IMF and the atmosphere for women there..well I think it's entirely possible that he's arrogant and has a sense of entitlement. That alone doesn't make him a rapist of course.

The fact that she's from Africa, if she is, is completely irrelevant.

Well, my point is that in the publics mind DSK is now an alleged rapist and his political career is done. The matter is still before the courts so everyone should reserve judgment. We don't have to look far, only to the 2006 Duke lacrosse case to realize that false rape allegation do occurr.

lets check with that accusser as of late.

Duke lacrosse accuser arrested on arson, assault charges | duke, accuser, durham - Top News - Burlington Times News

Ouch!

I understand women of this board are sensitive to this case but let the courts decide. I also find it interesting that the accusser is from Africa. Maybe allgeations and such are common place in that continent buts lets wait until the courts decide. Lets stop the crucifixtion of accomplished men before any women on th planet utters four letters.

okay... i understand what you're saying about how a false accusation like this can ruin somebody's career. i was all up in arms over the duke case, especially as the evidence coming out made no sense. i wish the press wouldn't sensationalize things as they do... it would help more victims come forward, and at the same time if there was ever someone falsely accused, they wouldn't have been spoken about as if they were satan for the past 6 months. but yea, the american press sucks.

that said, your arguments in defense of strauss-kahn are ridiculous to the point of lunacy. if there were any actual things that didn't make sense... like in the duke case how one of the accusers had an ATM receipt from a bank miles away at the exact same time he was supposedly committing the crime... then perhaps you could make the conspiracy argument. but to say it's sketchy because she's from africa? dude, wtf?

Same here

No one is trying to "crucify" powerful men-some of them can do a good enough job of that on their own. I reserve judgment regarding what happened here, but power and money often leads to arrogance and a sense of entitlement. Even if this guy has been completely set up, what I have read about him and the IMF and the atmosphere for women there..well I think it's entirely possible that he's arrogant and has a sense of entitlement. That alone doesn't make him a rapist of course.

The fact that she's from Africa, if she is, is completely irrelevant.

It will be interesting to see if the culture in the organisation changes if Christine Lagard gets the top job.

The fund is scheduled to begin accepting nominations for his replacement Monday, with a battle shaping up between Europe and the developing world.

Every managing director of the fund has been European since the institution was created in 1946. Four have been French.

The United Kingdom said over the weekend it would back French Finance Minister Christine Lagarde for the position.

"We support her because she's the best person for the job, but I also personally think it would be a very good thing to see the first female managing director of the IMF in its 60 year history," British Chancellor George Osborne said.

Strauss-Kahn reveals frustration in e-mail to IMF - CNN.com

Back
Top Bottom