IMF Head Dominique Strauss Kahn held on attempted rape charges - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #61
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canedge View Post
I tend to think in regards to presumed innocence before guilt.
Unless they are African and then you presume they're liars.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #62
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:32 PM
Quote:
I tend to think in a legal manner. I tend to think in regards to presumed innocence before guilt.

I am not not into McCarthyism or public lynchings.

Let the courts decide.
And apparently you also tend to think in a manner that thinks that a joke of that nature at the expense of a victim (who in your mind you have already deemed a liar) is completely OK.

What you've done is taking the "Presumed Innocent" mindset so far that you've gone completely in the opposite direction, and are now making jests at the expense of someone you know NOTHING about and have no clue what happened to. None.

I'm not OK with people crying rape, and if were to find out that this is a set-up, I'll be furious. But it's one thing to feel that way, and another to spend all of your time and energy pointing out the victim's "character" flaws (apparently one of which is being from the mystical land of "Africa".)

When I was in high school, a friend of mine was raped. The week before that, someone else I knew had consensual sex with another friend of mine. She was embarrassed that she'd done it, so decided to say he'd raped her. The fiasco became such a thing around my school, that when my friend was actually raped a week later, she was too afraid to go to the police.

I'm the first person who's going to tell you that crying rape is wrong. So wrong, that especially in instances like above, I feel like the person possibly should be charged with a crime. But, we don't know what's happened here yet. And until we do, you can't pass judgement either way.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #63
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by canedge

That approach doesn't make great men or women. I am of the "to make an omlette you have to break eggs" school of thought which of course will not win many fans in a rape case. When people have large ambitions and consequential actions there is going to be fallout. My point is that sometimes the law is petty comapred to peoples ambitions.
Sure. Just another great man rapin' through "Africa" on his way up the political ladder.

If you're going to follow the egg-breaking logic (you are correct that it's unpopular here, especially when describing it as "logic" is generous), I would like to hear an explanation for the practical purpose of rape in a political context. Personally, I can and do fault great men for their poorer actions, and they should face the full penalty of law. If every man is capable of criminal actions, no man should be assumed to be a saint, regardless of their accomplishments. Those accomplishments are relevant in practice because they sway public opinion and cloud objectivity, but they shouldn't be. In this instance, it was a personal choice, not a creation of the lying media, unless of course it's comprised of "Africans," in which case you can never be too suspicious.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #64
Refugee

Local Time: 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
As to the stratification issues... again, you're going to need to clarify, because to me it sounds like you're blaming the maid for this whole situation. Is a man not responsible for his actions?
Of course he is responsible for his actions. What I was trying to express with my poor choice of words, in using stratification, was that on some places on earth where the given society favours a demographic and they carrry that baggage to their adopted country. When I hear the rapper M.I.A. speak her mind for example, I see echoes of the social dynamic that she grew up in.
Kanye West is another one whose upbringing is reflected in his lyrics.

It is not unreasonable to suggest that a black/white rich/poor developing world/manhattan dynamic is at play here. What I am trying to do is probe plausable dynamics that could be realted to this scenario.

But as Bono 212 mentioned, we'll wait until the courts decide.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #65
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

You've really said some appalling things in this last month, but this really takes the cake. And your explanation is even making it worse.

What can we say about your upbringing and why you say these things you do?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #66
Refugee

There is no point in have a rational discussion about rape. It is not a rational subject matter. It is so emotionally charged that discussing it is pointless as it only ends in hurt feelings.

The capacity for misunderstanding on the internet is large and often things get lost in translation, misunderstood.

Once again, goodbye.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #67
Blue Crack Distributor

If multiple people are telling you that what you're saying is appalling, maybe you need to take a harder look at what you're trying to say and how you're saying it, rather than just saying it's been lost in translation.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #68
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

One can always have a rational discussion, even about the most emotional of subjects, as long as one remembers that there are always multiple sides to a story.

Also avoiding generalizations about a whole continent and race usually help too.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:32 PM
Quote:
Again, not seeking justifications for his work but I hate it when good men, whose work benefits all, get taken down by a sex scandal. It seems that it nullifies their sacrfices and achievements. Like it would be a shame if some man cured cancer and then someone discredited by revealing accusations of an illicit sex act. I just think one outweighs the other.
I don't know what should frighten me more. That you think doing something good gives one a free pass on any crime, but especially something like rape, or that you think the IMF is of great benefit to all.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Kanye West is another one whose upbringing is reflected in his lyrics.

It is not unreasonable to suggest that a black/white rich/poor developing world/manhattan dynamic is at play here.

just as an FYI, Kanye grew up very middle class in the mostly white suburb of Oak Lawn, IL, his mother was a professor and was chair of the English Department at her university.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #71
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

He's not from Africa?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #72
Blue Crack Distributor

All black people aren't poor?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
All black people aren't poor?

no. some of them stop being poor via extorting French politicians.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #74
The Male

Bono is the last person to help save "Africans" from their lying ways.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #75
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:32 AM
You know what I think is most hilarious about your absurd statements, canedge?

Quote:
I also find it interesting that the accusser is from Africa. Maybe allgeations and such are common place in that continent buts lets wait until the courts decide.
Quote:
I think that being from "Africa" has alot to do with it. It might be socially acceptable to extort money from powerful people in Africa but not over here.
You are just randomly speculating that MAYBE people there MIGHT think it socially acceptable to make false charges of rape for the purposes of extortion. You don't actually have any facts. You don't have any information about cultural attitudes there. You don't even realise that "Africa" is not one homogenous continent-wide society. You're just running with arbitrary hypotheses because this woman has the audacity to be from somewhere in Africa rather than New York or London or Vancouver or some other good ol' Western city. You should actually do some bloody research before spouting off about other societies you admit you know nothing about, and there's no "might" or "maybe" about it.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote