IMF Head Dominique Strauss Kahn held on attempted rape charges - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #46
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canedge View Post
I think that being from "Africa" has alot to do with it. It might be socially acceptable to extort money from powerful people in Africa but not over here.

There are also 'stratification' issues in this case with him being a powerful man. Them being from two different continents is of consequence.
Please tell us you are not being serious.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:29 PM
Quote:
You can say that again!
i'd appreciate if you didn't selectively edit my comments - you make it look like i'm saying something i'm not. thanks.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:20 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfly View Post
But this is not a "sex scandal" or an "illicit sex act". This is an alleged sex CRIME.
yep, absolutely different things, nothing like Clinton etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfly View Post
But I believe in France the line between the two is somewhat blurred.
it certainly shouldn't be the case, but it does appear to be coming across like that at the moment sadly...

i read the other day that out of 75,000 rapes committed in France only 10% press charges as it's so difficult for women to be taken seriously, just disgusting really...

also, some French women are saying that it's a good thing this happened in the US because if it had happened in France we never would've heard about it, which is very telling indeed!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I think that being from "Africa" has alot to do with it. It might be socially acceptable to extort money from powerful people in Africa but not over here.

There are also 'stratification' issues in this case with him being a powerful man. Them being from two different continents is of consequence.
wtf?
Old 05-23-2011, 01:32 AM   #50
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:29 AM
Quote:

I'd love if you could clarify what the nationality of the maid has to do with anything here. Because to me it sounds like you're suggesting that this maid (who, by all accounts, was extremely traumatized by the event) must've been trying to extort money from DSK, because she's African and that's what "they" do.

I really hope that's not what you're actually suggesting.

As to the stratification issues... again, you're going to need to clarify, because to me it sounds like you're blaming the maid for this whole situation. Is a man not responsible for his actions?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:29 AM
Quote:
I also find it interesting that the accusser is from Africa. Maybe allgeations and such are common place in that continent buts lets wait until the courts decide.

Just keep diggin'....
Old 05-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
wtf?
Same here

No one is trying to "crucify" powerful men-some of them can do a good enough job of that on their own. I reserve judgment regarding what happened here, but power and money often leads to arrogance and a sense of entitlement. Even if this guy has been completely set up, what I have read about him and the IMF and the atmosphere for women there..well I think it's entirely possible that he's arrogant and has a sense of entitlement. That alone doesn't make him a rapist of course.

The fact that she's from Africa, if she is, is completely irrelevant.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #53
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:29 AM
What the what?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I think that being from "Africa" has alot to do with it.
Where is "Africa"?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Where is "Africa"?
i was wondering the same "thing" lol
Old 05-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #56
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Well, my point is that in the publics mind DSK is now an alleged rapist and his political career is done. The matter is still before the courts so everyone should reserve judgment. We don't have to look far, only to the 2006 Duke lacrosse case to realize that false rape allegation do occurr.

lets check with that accusser as of late.

Duke lacrosse accuser arrested on arson, assault charges | duke, accuser, durham - Top News - Burlington Times News

Ouch!

I understand women of this board are sensitive to this case but let the courts decide. I also find it interesting that the accusser is from Africa. Maybe allgeations and such are common place in that continent buts lets wait until the courts decide. Lets stop the crucifixtion of accomplished men before any women on th planet utters four letters.
okay... i understand what you're saying about how a false accusation like this can ruin somebody's career. i was all up in arms over the duke case, especially as the evidence coming out made no sense. i wish the press wouldn't sensationalize things as they do... it would help more victims come forward, and at the same time if there was ever someone falsely accused, they wouldn't have been spoken about as if they were satan for the past 6 months. but yea, the american press sucks.

that said, your arguments in defense of strauss-kahn are ridiculous to the point of lunacy. if there were any actual things that didn't make sense... like in the duke case how one of the accusers had an ATM receipt from a bank miles away at the exact same time he was supposedly committing the crime... then perhaps you could make the conspiracy argument. but to say it's sketchy because she's from africa? dude, wtf?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #57
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
i'd appreciate if you didn't selectively edit my comments - you make it look like i'm saying something i'm not. thanks.
I realise that but that joke was delivered on a plate from the comedy Gods. I had no option but to sieze the day. I apologize after the fact.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:29 AM
You are absolutely disgusting me right now.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Same here

No one is trying to "crucify" powerful men-some of them can do a good enough job of that on their own. I reserve judgment regarding what happened here, but power and money often leads to arrogance and a sense of entitlement. Even if this guy has been completely set up, what I have read about him and the IMF and the atmosphere for women there..well I think it's entirely possible that he's arrogant and has a sense of entitlement. That alone doesn't make him a rapist of course.

The fact that she's from Africa, if she is, is completely irrelevant.
It will be interesting to see if the culture in the organisation changes if Christine Lagard gets the top job.

Quote:
The fund is scheduled to begin accepting nominations for his replacement Monday, with a battle shaping up between Europe and the developing world.

Every managing director of the fund has been European since the institution was created in 1946. Four have been French.

The United Kingdom said over the weekend it would back French Finance Minister Christine Lagarde for the position.

"We support her because she's the best person for the job, but I also personally think it would be a very good thing to see the first female managing director of the IMF in its 60 year history," British Chancellor George Osborne said.
Strauss-Kahn reveals frustration in e-mail to IMF - CNN.com
Old 05-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #60
Refugee

I tend to think in a legal manner. I tend to think in regards to presumed innocence before guilt.

I am not not into McCarthyism or public lynchings.

Let the courts decide.