IMF Head Dominique Strauss Kahn held on attempted rape charges - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 09:48 PM

Old 05-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #32
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfly View Post
I think his life's work is completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter if he cleans toilets or if he's the Pope, a crime is a crime and he should not be looked upon any more favorably than anyone else because of his 'valid work'. That's quite an elitist view, if you don't mind me saying.
Again, not seeking justifications for his work but I hate it when good men, whose work benefits all, get taken down by a sex scandal. It seems that it nullifies their sacrfices and achievements. Like it would be a shame if some man cured cancer and then someone discredited by revealing accusations of an illicit sex act. I just think one outweighs the other.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #33
Refugee

Old 05-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #34
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
so yeah, it is a massive blow ...
You can say that again!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #35
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by canedge View Post
Again, not seeking justifications for his work but I hate it when good men, whose work benefits all, get taken down by a sex scandal. It seems that it nullifies their sacrfices and achievements. Like it would be a shame if some man cured cancer and then someone discredited by revealing accusations of an illicit sex act. I just think one outweighs the other.
But this is not a "sex scandal" or an "illicit sex act". This is an alleged sex CRIME. Different things. But I believe in France the line between the two is somewhat blurred.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #36
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:48 AM
^ I don't think it's legally blurred. But certainly one recurrent theme of the coverage has been that the French media's policy (under threat of libel suits) of not reporting on powerful men's sexual 'indiscretions' may cast too wide a net, so that not only extramarital affairs (arguably indeed nobody's business) but also extensive alleged histories of sexual harassment and assault in varying degrees, routinely go unreported. To the detriment of women who are expected to work with such men in professional contexts, because it establishes a de facto social precedent that such behavior is an elite man's privilege, and not yours (women's) to question or challenge.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by canedge View Post
I hate it when good men, whose work benefits all, get taken down by a sex scandal.
By "get taken down" you seem to imply that someone else is at fault here? What is your definition of forced oral sex and attempted rape? Really curious....
Old 05-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:48 AM
It's somewhat like the Polanski case all over again (though, of course, there is no suggestion whatever that the victim here was under-age).

I am not into Francophobia but the reactions of some of their media and political elite are stunning.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #39
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:48 PM
I don't care who you are and how many amazing things you have done, but if you commit a crime, you should pay for it. Your good works, your money, your reputation mean diddly squat if you have done something bad.

Many people are able to separate Polanski the artist from Polanski the criminal, and people will be able to separate the good things this guy has done from his alleged crime (although honestly, the number of people who make excuses for Polanski is an entirely different can of worms).

The good things this guy has done will remain and won't get magically erased from the world if he's convicted of a crime.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #40
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I don't care who you are and how many amazing things you have done, but if you commit a crime, you should pay for it. Your good works, your money, your reputation mean diddly squat if you have done something bad.
That approach doesn't make great men or women. I am of the "to make an omlette you have to break eggs" school of thought which of course will not win many fans in a rape case. When people have large ambitions and consequential actions there is going to be fallout. My point is that sometimes the law is petty comapred to peoples ambitions.

Kenneth Starr had Bill Clinton on the basis of 'law' but we all knew he was being a squirmy little shit in his actions back in 1998.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #41
Blue Crack Distributor

... what? That reads like you're saying someone like him should get a pass for a few "broken eggs," like ... oh, say ... rape.

That can't be what you're saying, right? Please elaborate if that's not actually what you meant.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #42
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
By "get taken down" you seem to imply that someone else is at fault here? What is your definition of forced oral sex and attempted rape? Really curious....
Well, my point is that in the publics mind DSK is now an alleged rapist and his political career is done. The matter is still before the courts so everyone should reserve judgment. We don't have to look far, only to the 2006 Duke lacrosse case to realize that false rape allegation do occurr.

lets check with that accusser as of late.

Duke lacrosse accuser arrested on arson, assault charges | duke, accuser, durham - Top News - Burlington Times News

Ouch!

I understand women of this board are sensitive to this case but let the courts decide. I also find it interesting that the accusser is from Africa. Maybe allgeations and such are common place in that continent buts lets wait until the courts decide. Lets stop the crucifixtion of accomplished men before any women on th planet utters four letters.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #43
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
... what? That reads like you're saying someone like him should get a pass for a few "broken eggs," like ... oh, say ... rape.

That can't be what you're saying, right? Please elaborate if that's not actually what you meant.
No that came out wrong. Terribly misunderstood. I updated a link to wikipedia to clarify my quote. Which actually doen't do any justice to what I was trying to say.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

Thank you for clarifying. False rape accusations hurt not only the accused but women who have actually been raped, as it makes people less willing to believe them, and therefore makes women less likely to press charges in fear of not being believed or the public scrutiny.

Yes, it happens, and it's unacceptable. Of course the courts should decide. But my gut reaction is to believe the victim. I'm not on any jury, and I'm sure that kind of thinking would have me dismissed from the pool, so it really doesn't matter what I think.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #45
Refugee

I think that being from "Africa" has alot to do with it. It might be socially acceptable to extort money from powerful people in Africa but not over here.

There are also 'stratification' issues in this case with him being a powerful man. Them being from two different continents is of consequence.