Imbecilic Government Purge - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Old 12-01-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
love, blood, life
Local Time: 09:56 AM
Imbecilic Government Purge

An Egyptian-born nuclear physicist who said his rights were violated when the Department of Energy revoked his security clearance has returned to his native Egypt.

The scientist, Abdel Moniem Ali el-Ganayni, had filed a lawsuit in June saying he was being punished for criticizing the Iraq war and President Bush’s treatment of Muslims after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

The lawsuit was dismissed Tuesday by Judge Terrence F. McVerry of Federal District Court here.

The Energy Department said it had reliable information that Dr. Ganayni was a security risk, but the agency said its reasons were classified and could violate national security if they were made public.

Dr. Ganayni, 57, worked at the Bettis Laboratory, which makes parts for nuclear warships, in West Mifflin, a Pittsburgh suburb, for more than 17 years. He has been a United States citizen since 1988.

His security clearance was revoked last late year, and he was fired in May. He and his wife returned to Cairo on Wednesday.

The American Civil Liberties Union, which sued on Dr. Ganayni’s behalf, said it planned to appeal.

In his lawsuit, Dr. Ganayni said he had been questioned by Energy Department officials and F.B.I. agents about speeches he had made, his views on suicide bombings and the Koran.

“I criticized the government for a war based on deception,” he told The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, “but many Americans were saying the same thing or worse. Yet they retaliated against me.”

I wonder where he will get his next job
A_Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote