I'm glad Roman Polanski finally got caught!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
let's just refresh our memories on what diamond said.

doesn't sound remotely similar to what he's trying to justify saying now.

with the :hmm: icon, in conjunction with the statement at hand, a caveman would be able to decipher my original intent.

"jest"-say it.

:)

<>

Diamond, you are this forums Ray Comfort. Some of the crap you say angers me to no end, but when I take a step back, you really dont seem like a bad dude :up:

i would like to point out that diamond has stated, clearly, that marriage is subjected to cultural norms and historical context and it's meaning and composition changes over the centuries. what we might have recognized in Missouri or Utah in the mid 19th century as a marriage would not be so today.

just wanted to point that out.

thank you.

I just want to post that petition in its entirety because I'm interested in seeing whether anyone here actually thinks any of it sounds reasonable.

We have learned the astonishing news of Roman Polanski’s arrest by the Swiss police on September 26th, upon arrival in Zurich (Switzerland) while on his way to a film festival where he was due to receive an award for his career in filmmaking.

His arrest follows an American arrest warrant dating from 1978 against the filmmaker, in a case of morals.

Filmmakers in France, in Europe, in the United States and around the world are dismayed by this decision. It seems inadmissible to them that an international cultural event, paying homage to one of the greatest contemporary filmmakers, is used by the police to apprehend him.

By their extraterritorial nature, film festivals the world over have always permitted works to be shown and for filmmakers to present them freely and safely, even when certain States opposed this.

The arrest of Roman Polanski in a neutral country, where he assumed he could travel without hindrance, undermines this tradition: it opens the way for actions of which no one can know the effects.

Roman Polanski is a French citizen, a renown and international artist now facing extradition. This extradition, if it takes place, will be heavy in consequences and will take away his freedom.

Filmmakers, actors, producers and technicians—everyone involved in international filmmaking—want him to know that he has their support and friendship.

On September 16th, 2009, Mr. Charles Rivkin, the US Ambassador to France, received French artists and intellectuals at the embassy. He presented to them the new Minister Counselor for Public Affairs at the embassy, Ms Judith Baroody. In perfect French she lauded the Franco-American friendship and recommended the development of cultural relations between our two countries.

If only in the name of this friendship between our two countries, we demand the immediate release of Roman Polanski.

What kills me about this whole thing, from a purely personal standpoint, is these H-wood types coming out and vocally supporting Polanski are actually forcing me to agree with some pretty unpleasant right-wing types. Frankly it pisses me off...my wife is watching Nancy Grace and Nancy's just tearing into Debra Winger, and I'm agreeing with her. Ugh :(

believe it or not, i am one of diamond's biggest fans.

and not least because he flirts with me to no end.

Will you 2 get a room? :wink:

You're making me jealous. ;)

What kills me about this whole thing, from a purely personal standpoint, is these H-wood types coming out and vocally supporting Polanski are actually forcing me to agree with some pretty unpleasant right-wing types. Frankly it pisses me off...

Seriously, same here.

The Telegraph's Michael Deacon dug up an explosive interview that Polanski gave to the novelist Martin Amis in 1979, one that includes the following quote: "If I had killed somebody, it wouldn't have had so much appeal to the press, you see? But … fucking, you see, and the young girls. Judges want to fuck young girls. Juries want to fuck young girls. Everyone wants to fuck young girls!"

Also revolting.

I petition for film festivals in many places all year 'round. How else should the persecuted artists feel safe?

could it be:
Right is Right
and
Left is wrong in this instance?

<>

Could it be that the man plead guilty, and the wrong is pretty damn clear for everyone?

I am amazed that this has turned into a left verses right issue.

I'm not sure he should be extradited, for two reasons:

1. I don't think the U.S. is going after him now for the right reasons. The girl, who is now an adult woman, has gone on the record saying that she doesn't think he should be locked up:

wikipedia said:
In a 2003 interview,[47] Samantha Geimer said, "Straight up, what he did to me was wrong. But I wish he would return to America so the whole ordeal can be put to rest for both of us." Furthermore, "I'm sure if he could go back, he wouldn't do it again. He made a terrible mistake but he's paid for it." In 2008, Geimer stated in an interview that she wishes Polanski would be forgiven, "I think he's sorry, I think he knows it was wrong. I don't think he's a danger to society. I don't think he needs to be locked up forever and no one has ever come out ever — besides me — and accused him of anything. It was 30 years ago now. It's an unpleasant memory ... (but) I can live with it."

This woman clearly would rather put the whole thing behind her than to have to re-live the whole thing again in a trial and to have her family be put through it. In my opinion, and it is my opinion, and you may think I'm 100% wrong, if the victim doesn't feel strongly about prosecuting anymore, than the justice system shouldn't go after the perpetuator too strongly. Not just for this case, for any case. If the victim doesn't want to prosecute - and this woman has said she doesn't - that's it. That's the ballgame. When a crime is committed, no one's opinion matters more than the victim(provided the victim is of sound mind); not the lawyers, not the judges, not the government officials, not the victim's family, not the accused, not the public, no one - if the victim says she doesn't want to prosecute, then the one true right reason to prosecute any crime - to get justice for the victim - is weakened. I've heard some suggestions that if he's extradited, whatever DAs/judges/other people of power are involved could conspire to sentence him to something like fifty years in prison - essentially a life sentence for him, and the diametric opposite of the victim's feeling that he doesn't need to be locked up forever - simply to make an example of him, and to be a notch in somebody's belt. In fact, from what I read, it seems like the reason he ran in the first place was because the DA at the time had conspired with/coerced/encouraged/pushed the judge at the time to hand down a much harsher sentence than the one Polanski thought he was getting when he plead guilty, likely because the DA wanted to make an example. The DA admitted as much in a documentary a few years ago, and is now on CNN claiming he lied in the documentary and that he never interfered with the case. How much you wanna bet that someone in power gave him a call and 'encouraged' him to go on TV and recant his statements from that documentary? How much? It is patently obvious to me that the U.S. is going after Polanski for all the WRONG reasons right now, and that pisses me off. These are the WRONG reasons to go after someone. The only RIGHT reason is to get justice for the victim, and it's harder to play the 'we're getting justice for Samantha' card when Samantha doesn't seem particularly interested in it anymore and has flat out said she doesn't want to prosecute.

2. This is a philosophical thing, and I know for a fact that a lot of people disagree with me, but I believe that the primary purpose of prison is to quarantine those criminals who are an ongoing threat to society, so that they can't harm innocent people again; this is as opposed to the idea that the primary purpose of prison is to punish the criminal. It's been 30 years since this incident, and there has been no sign of Roman Polanski doing anything else even remotely approaching what he did then in those last 30 years. This doesn't excuse him of the crime he committed, but it does make a convincing argument that he isn't an ongoing threat to society. If he was sick, out of control, a threat, he would've done this more than one time. Now, this is a matter that is wholly one of personal opinion, but I believe that, especially given the current overcrowded state of our prisons, if a criminal is not an ongoing threat to society, he/she does not need to go to prison. I believe Polanski regrets what he did, and it appears his victim believes that as well.

To sum up: I'm not sure Polanski should be extradited because The U.S. is going after him for the wrong reasons, the victim doesn't even want to prosecute him anymore, he doesn't appear to be a threat to society, and the DA may have coached the judge.

Finally, I need to make two things absolutely clear: I am not in any defending what Polanski did 30 years ago, and I am not in any way blaming the victim for what was done to her. These two things seem to have ignited the most anger in this tread, rightfully so, and I am not doing either. And let me also make this clear: if the victim, Samantha Geimer, felt strongly about wanting to prosecute Polanski today, then I would say he should be extradited, because then it would be for the right reason. I just don't want to see powerful people manipulate a situation for their benefit and not the victim's.

I do wonder if the justice system would have went through the same trouble decades later if this had not involved a celebrity
it should have, but still

Well, it may be hard to accept, but here the opinion of the victim doesn't play any role. She may have forgiven him, and she may want him to go free, but that's entirely her opinion. The legal system is not setup to accommodate the wishes of the victim. Otherwise, if she wished the plague on him the sentence would have to be accordingly in order to go with the victim's feelings. But it needs to be neutral to that.

There is a lot of speculation that Switzerland is trying to make good weather with the US after the UBS debacle and such. Whatever the underlying reasons are that they suddenly decided they would act on the US's international warrant, and it's pretty certain they had their reasons, in the end his past caught him and well, now he has to deal with it.

What trial? He was already convicted.

You're right. I was thinking of potential future legal proceedings concerning his having run from the charges.

But still, she has said that just having the details of all of this being reported ad nauseam by the media harms her family, and the longer Polanski is in the news, so, by association, is she and her family. She doesn't want that.

by your logic

the more heinous the crime the better

a 43 year old man anally raping a 13 year old girl as she is crying and begging him to stop, might be the way to go, because she won't want to testify to the graphic details

at least when some time past, Polanski had some time to think about his behavior

two years later in 1979, 45 year old Polanski said "If I had killed somebody, it wouldn't have had so much appeal to the press, you see? But … fucking, you see, and the young girls. Judges want to fuck young girls. Juries want to fuck young girls. Everyone wants to fuck young girls!"

with the :hmm: icon, in conjunction with the statement at hand, a caveman would be able to decipher my original intent.

"jest"-say it.

:)

<>

in that case, kudos to you sir. i don't think anyone else could joking call other members of the forum pedophiles and get away with it. 'tis a fine testament to your wit that you're capable or doing that :applaud:

I am amazed that this has turned into a left verses right issue.

I'm pleased that the majority of FYMers have common sense about this issue.
I did look hard at this list and found no Right Wingers on it.:

Fatih Akin,
Stephane Allagnon,
Woody Allen,
Pedro Almodovar,
Wes Anderson,
Jean-Jacques Annaud,
Alexandre Arcady,
Fanny Ardant,
Asia Argento,
Darren Aronofsky,
Olivier Assayas,
Alexander Astruc,
Gabriel Auer,
Luc Barnier ,
Christophe Barratier,
Xavier Beauvois ,
Liria Begeja ,
Gilles Behat,
Jean-Jacques Beineix,
Marco Bellochio,
Monica Bellucci,
Djamel Bennecib,
Giuseppe Bertolucci ,
Patrick Bouchitey,
Paul Boujenah,
Jacques Bral,
Patrick Braoudé, André Buytaers,
Christian Carion,
Henning Carlsen,
Jean-michel Carre,
Mathieu Celary,
Patrice Chéreau,
Elie Chouraqui,
Souleymane Cissé,
Alain Corneau,
Jérôme Cornuau,
Miguel Courtois,
Dominique Crevecoeur,
Alfonso Cuaron,
Luc et Jean-Pierre Dardenne,
Jonathan Demme,
Alexandre Desplat,
Rosalinde et Michel Deville,
Georges Dybman,
Jacques Fansten,
Joël Farges,
Gianluca Farinelli (Cinémathèque de de Bologne),
Etienne Faure,
Michel Ferry,
Scott Foundas,
Stephen Frears,
Thierry Frémaux,
Sam Gabarski,
René Gainville,
Tony Gatlif,
Costa Gavras,
Jean-Marc Ghanassia,
Terry Gilliam,
Christian Gion,
Marc Guidoni,
Buck Henry,
David Heyman,
Laurent Heynemann,
Robert Hossein, Jean-Loup Hubert,
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu,
Gilles Jacob,
Just Jaeckin,
Alain Jessua,
Pierre Jolivet,
Kent Jones (World Cinema Foundation),
Roger Kahane,
Nelly Kaplan,
Wong Kar Waï,
Ladislas Kijno,
Harmony Korinne,
Jan Kounen,
Diane Kurys,
Emir Kusturica,
John Landis,
Claude Lanzmann,
André Larquié,
Vinciane Lecocq,
Patrice Leconte,
Claude Lelouch,
Gérard Lenne,
David Lynch, Michael Mann,
François Margolin,
Jean-PierreMarois,
Tonie Marshall,
Mario Martone,
Nicolas Mauvernay,
Radu Mihaileanu,
Claude Miller,
Mario Monicelli,
Jeanne Moreau,
Sandra Nicolier,
Michel Ocelot,
Alexander Payne,
Richard Pena (Directeur Festival de NY),
Michele Placido,
Philippe Radault,
Jean-Paul Rappeneau,
Raphael Rebibo,
Yasmina Reza,
Jacques Richard,
Laurence Roulet,
Walter Salles,
Jean-Paul Salomé,
Marc Sandberg,
Jerry Schatzberg,
Julian Schnabel,
Barbet Schroeder,
Ettore Scola,
Martin Scorsese,
Charlotte Silvera,
Abderrahmane Sissako,
Paolo Sorrentino,
Guillaume Stirn,
Tilda Swinton,
Jean-Charles Tacchella,
Radovan Tadic,
Danis Tanovic,
Bertrand Tavernier,
Cécile Telerman,
Alain Terzian,
Pascal Thomas,
Giuseppe Tornatore,
Serge Toubiana,
Nadine Trintignant,
Tom Tykwer,
Alexandre Tylski,
Betrand Van Effenterre,
Wim Wenders.
Isabelle Adjani
Antoine Aronin
Paul Auster
Morgane Beauverger
Candice Belaisch-Goldchmit
Yamina Benguigui
Pascal Bruckner
Jessika Cohen
Philippe Corbé
Jean-Paul Dayan
Katarina De Meulder
Arielle Dombasle
Nathalie Faucheux
Corinne Figuet
Pierre Forciniti
Louis Garrel
Albert Gauvin
Johanna Gozlan
Davide Homitsu Riboli
Taylor Hackford
Isabelle Huppert
Neil Jordan
Thierry Kamami
Milan Kundera
Gaelle Lancien
Claude Lanzmann
Bernard-Henri Lévy
Sam Mendes
Camille Meyer
Patrick Mimouni
Yann Moix
Mike Nichols
Sandra Nicolier
Marie Nieves Perez Neël
Salman Rushdie
Carine Sarna
Ysabelle Saura Del Pan
William Shawcross
Olivier Soares Barbosa
Steven Soderbergh
Nil Symchowicz
Danièle Thompson
Eugenia Varela Navarro
Diane von Furstenberg
Scott Foundas
Margaret Walker
Elsa Zylberstein

If there is a conservative in this mix let me know.
<>

by your logic

the more heinous the crime the better

a 43 year old man anally raping a 13 year old girl as she is crying and begging him to stop, might be the way to go, because she won't want to testify to the graphic details

Way to twist my words. I never ever condoned what he did. Never. And not wanting to testify wasn't the only reason she gave - I'm not even sure it's a reason she gave at all; she said that she believed he was sorry(though that's a bit harder to believe given the quote below) and that she didn't think he should be locked up forever.

at least when some time past, Polanski had some time to think about his behavior

two years later in 1979, 45 year old Polanski said "If I had killed somebody, it wouldn't have had so much appeal to the press, you see? But … fucking, you see, and the young girls. Judges want to fuck young girls. Juries want to fuck young girls. Everyone wants to fuck young girls!"

That's pretty disgusting. But it was still only two years later. Is it possible he could've had a change of heart in the 30 that followed? Yes. Could he have not had a change of heart and still believe today what he said there? Yes. I have no way of knowing how he feels about it now, and I don't think you do either.

None of this changes the fact that it seems like the powers that be are doing this for the wrong reasons or the fact that the woman has shown zero interest in digging this up again all these years later.

I'm gonna save my money and buy a chateau in France, commit a crime in the US, and before my sentencing, flee to France. At least, let's encourage all American criminals to do the same. I would love to have the ability to do that, and not have to suffer "real" consequences for my actions. Hopefully, over time, the US would forget about my crime because of the length of time I was on the run. I will definitely have had a change of heart after many years have passed so that forgiving me would be even much easier on the conscience. Let's encourage the image that some people can get away with rape and fleeing the authorities and while other citizens can't.

in that case, kudos to you sir. i don't think anyone else could joking call other members of the forum pedophiles :applaud:

Where did I jokingly or otherwise call any member of this forum that word?

What I did was point out that watering down what Polanski did any degree would be wrong.

<>

I'm not sure he should be extradited, for two reasons:

1. I don't think the U.S. is going after him now for the right reasons. The girl, who is now an adult woman, has gone on the record saying that she doesn't think he should be locked up:

This woman clearly would rather put the whole thing behind her than to have to re-live the whole thing again in a trial and to have her family be put through it. In my opinion, and it is my opinion, and you may think I'm 100% wrong, if the victim doesn't feel strongly about prosecuting anymore, than the justice system shouldn't go after the perpetuator too strongly. Not just for this case, for any case. If the victim doesn't want to prosecute - and this woman has said she doesn't - that's it. That's the ballgame. When a crime is committed, no one's opinion matters more than the victim(provided the victim is of sound mind); not the lawyers, not the judges, not the government officials, not the victim's family, not the accused, not the public, no one - if the victim says she doesn't want to prosecute, then the one true right reason to prosecute any crime - to get justice for the victim - is weakened.

So if a man rapes a mentally retarded person with an IQ of 3 yr old, the rapist gets an easier sentence or does it depend on how intelligent the person is to merit what type of prosecution and penalty society should pursue?

Let us know.

<>

Back
Top Bottom