I'm glad Roman Polanski finally got caught!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not sure why everyone in the media keeps quoting the complainant/victim. Whether or not he is prosecuted has nothing to do with what she wants or how she feels. It isn't her choice and it's not how the criminal justice system operates.

The celebrity petition is idiotic and frankly, sounds stupid. Switzerland is a "neutral" country - really? Neutral as to what?

People forget that this man was a fugitive for 30+ years. I don't believe that it's necessarily the best use of judicial resources to pursue this case now, but the fact that he was not caught or extradited earlier is more of a statement on the pathetic nature of the justice system than some sort of justification of why he should continue to be a fugitive.

Also, really, starting off that petition with Woody Allen's name on it kinda makes you :lol: in any case.

I agree.

He is probably insane and disturbed since his parents died in the Holocaust and his wife was murdered and the baby cut out of her by the Manson family.

Well, people don't like to take this stuff into account. It makes it easier to see things in black and white.

You can deplore someone's actions AND attempt to understand what psychological issues would cause someone to do them, as well as understanding the culture (early 70's Hollywood) at the time, and especially the behavior of the victim's mother (encouraging her daughter to hang out alone with older men with wild reputations) and the victim herself (who was already having sex and taking drugs). No one here is without responsibility, and it looks like it was an unfortunate perfect storm of bad behavior all-around.

While the law dictates that Polanski should have his official day in court and face the music, one has to wonder what the true definition of justice served is. Isn't the point of imprisoning someone not simply to punish them, but to rehabilitate them, where the time apart from society will cause them to reflect on their actions and change their ways? Obviously this doesn't happen as often as people would like, but the bottom line is that Polanksi has lived a productive and law-abiding life for 35 years, and now has daughters of his own. You don't think he understands the error of his ways? He's not in some ivory tower laughing like a cartoon villain because he got away with something.

Put him in jail for a year if need be, just to make a point. But to treat him like Frankenstein's monster at this point is rather unnecessary, and will only serve to damage the lives of more people.

I don't want to see him rot in jail, nor do I want him to be raped by cellmates.

Surely there's a happy medium between "rotting in jail" and "living the rest of his life with his family and France."

Like, oh, saaaaaaay, I don't know ..... coming back to face his sentence for the crime he commmitted?

Well, people don't like to take this stuff into account. It makes it easier to see things in black and white.

You can deplore someone's actions AND attempt to understand what psychological issues would cause someone to do them, as well as understanding the culture (early 70's Hollywood) at the time, and especially the behavior of the victim's mother (encouraging her daughter to hang out alone with older men with wild reputations) and the victim herself (who was already having sex and taking drugs). No one here is without responsibility, and it looks like it was an unfortunate perfect storm of bad behavior all-around.

While the law dictates that Polanski should have his official day in court and face the music, one has to wonder what the true definition of justice served is. Isn't the point of imprisoning someone not simply to punish them, but to rehabilitate them, where the time apart from society will cause them to reflect on their actions and change their ways? Obviously this doesn't happen as often as people would like, but the bottom line is that Polanksi has lived a productive and law-abiding life for 35 years, and now has daughters of his own. You don't think he understands the error of his ways? He's not in some ivory tower laughing like a cartoon villain because he got away with something.

Put him in jail for a year if need be, just to make a point. But to treat him like Frankenstein's monster at this point is rather unnecessary, and will only serve to damage the lives of more people.
I hadn't posted in this thread before because I really couldn't find the words to express the massive levels of grey I feel exist in this matter. Thanks for this post.

On a scale of culpability where Wacko was a nine and a half, Polanski is around a six.

A jail sentence is certainly appropriate.

On a scale of culpability where Wacko was a nine and a half, Polanski is around a six.

A jail sentence is certainly appropriate.

if the legal system were based on innuendo and hearsay, maybe.

Polanski pled guilty. Jacko did not, and he was never convicted of anything.

There is no way to defend Polanski IMO. Being on the run for the crime of rape (for 30 years) and basically thumbing his nose at the US justice system is not law-abiding in my book. He is a sick fuck. And even if you agree with Whoopi Goldberg and other Polanski apologists who want to quibble about what kind of rape it was, the consequences of those defenses will only lead to attacks towards the victim or introducing the idea that statutory rape is a bullshit crime. I don't think most people will want to side with either of those positions. He, however RAN. I believe in rehabilitation of some sort, but I also believe in real and just consequences. I don't think 1 year of prison is anywhere enough for the rape and running.

Hell, he qualifies as one of those To Catch A Predator stars. He went beyond what any of those schmucks did on the show. Unfortunately, they didn't have the riches or the connections to enable them to flee as Polanski.

He also drugged her and gave her alcohol, which I guess for the girl was a good thing, since she got to experience some anal rape as well. I thought she might have looked like a really old 13 year old, and Polanski got snookered into having sex with her but pictures of her during that time period show no such thing.

C0rqnpmmBqrvf2d4UmBN2iHpo1_500.jpg

. . .and the victim herself (who was already having sex and taking drugs). No one here is without responsibility, and it looks like it was an unfortunate perfect storm of bad behavior all-around.

:cute: I was wondering when the victim blaming would start!

:| No. Just fucking no. It doesn't matter that she wasn't a virgin, it doesn't matter that she had taken drugs in the past. The only thing that matters is that was 13 (could not legally consent to sex) and that she said no. Repeatedly.

There is no way to defend Polanski IMO. Being on the run for the crime of rape (for 30 years) and basically thumbing his nose at the US justice system is not law-abiding in my book. He is a sick fuck. And even if you agree with Whoopi Goldberg and other Polanski apologists who want to quibble about what kind of rape it was, the consequences of those defenses will only lead to attacks towards the victim or introducing the idea that statutory rape is a bullshit crime. I don't think most people will want to side with either of those positions. He, however RAN. I believe in rehabilitation of some sort, but I also believe in real and just consequences. I don't think 1 year of prison is anywhere enough for the rape and running.

Hell, he qualifies as one of those To Catch A Predator stars. He went beyond what any of those schmucks did on the show. Unfortunately, they didn't have the riches or the connections to enable them to flee as Polanski.

He also drugged her and gave her alcohol, which I guess for the girl was a good thing, since she got to experience some anal rape as well. I thought she might have looked like a really old 13 year old, and Polanski got snookered into having sex with her but pictures of her during that time period show no such thing.

Apparently you missed (or ignored) the part about how the girl had already experimented with drugs, alcohol, and rape. You're acting like he pulled a van up to a playground, threw some unsuspecting girl inside, and had his way. He didn't go trolling for this situation, unlike most of your To Catch a Predator examples, who didn't go beyond what Polanski did because they are all targets of sting operations! You don't think these guys would go all the way if Hansen and the film crew weren't there?

Also, while Polanski committed a crime by fleeing the country, he was advised to do so by his attorney. I don't know that living in exile for 30 years with restricted travel options, even if he is in France, somehow equates to "thumbing his nose" at the U.S. justice system. It's not like there's tape of him bragging about his exploits and evasion of the authorities. What I see is a guy who attempted to put this behind him and lead a normal, responsible life.

And if he's a sick fuck, then what exactly is someone who is a serial rapist and pedophile? Just a sicker fuck? "Sick" implies to me someone with a chronic problem that needs attention. Polanksi may have been out of his mind and a "sick fuck" when this incident occurred, but he probably isn't now.

Do you have the ability to see degrees in anything?

. . .and the victim herself (who was already having sex and taking drugs). No one here is without responsibility, and it looks like it was an unfortunate perfect storm of bad behavior all-around.

Apparently you missed (or ignored) the part about how the girl had already experimented with drugs, alcohol, and rape. d lead a normal, responsible life.

Yeah. It's all her fault. She should be the one in prison right now. Sterilized, tortured, you name it.

:rolleyes:

You blamed her and it's disgusting that you did.

Because people find it appalling that you might suggest a thirteen year old shares some responsibility in her being raped by a guy in his thirties?

Regardless of what happened in the trial and in his fleeing the country, there are no shades of gray in that fact.

I don't want to see him rot in jail, nor do I want him to be raped by cellmates.

Surely there's a happy medium between "rotting in jail" and "living the rest of his life with his family and France."

Like, oh, saaaaaaay, I don't know ..... coming back to face his sentence for the crime he commmitted?
oh no, i'm not saying that! i was mocking people who say that anytime something like this happens. i totally agree with you. :)

Now I know why I don't come in here.

Yeah. You are such a victim. Why can't we all be evolved beings like you who understand how poor, persecuted Roman Polanksi is. Poor guy can't catch a break when all he did was drug and rape a 13-year-old girl and then flee the country when it looked like he might have to do some time for it. :|

So you think any woman or girl who's had sex does not qualify as a rape victim?

FlyingFuManchu said:

Agreed completely.

And I never have and will never pay money to watch a Roman Polanksi movie (I saw one once in a friend's house by accident, didn't think it was any great shakes either for that matter) and I will never pay for a Michael Jackson record either, even now that he's dead.

Apparently you missed (or ignored) the part about how the girl had already experimented with drugs, alcohol, and rape. You're acting like he pulled a van up to a playground, threw some unsuspecting girl inside, and had his way. He didn't go trolling for this situation, unlike most of your To Catch a Predator examples, who didn't go beyond what Polanski did because they are all targets of sting operations! You don't think these guys would go all the way if Hansen and the film crew weren't there?

Those pathetic To Catch a Predator schmucks (I mean the would be pedophiles and not NBC folks) would have most likely gone all the way. I don't get your point here? All you're doing is proving what I said and that is the whole "blame the victim defense," otherwise known as the KOBE. Yes, she was sexually active at 13 years of age (who knows with who, but when I was that age there were several of my peers who were sexually active at that age so in my opinion that is not a huge detail) and she probably wasn't a saint at all in terms of alcohol or drugs. However, Polanski took advantage of the that girl and had SEX with her. He pleaded guilty because of the sex. It was way worse than to Catch a Predator because he actually did the deed.

Also, while Polanski committed a crime by fleeing the country, he was advised to do so by his attorney. I don't know that living in exile for 30 years with restricted travel options, even if he is in France, somehow equates to "thumbing his nose" at the U.S. justice system. It's not like there's tape of him bragging about his exploits and evasion of the authorities. What I see is a guy who attempted to put this behind him and lead a normal, responsible life.

Any attorney who advises his client to flee is committing a crime and I call bullshit and besides that has to be the most dumbass advice I've ever heard from a lawyer. ALSO, he has homes in other places in Europe besides France. From all indications, he lived just fine in France making MOVIES! It's one thing to live in exile in Afghanistan or some God-forsaken slum, but he lived in exile in FRANCE!!! In A NICE home in FRANCE, with people saying, he traveled around Europe (very carefully of course)! I'm sure it was a BIG sacrifice to not be able to travel to the STATES because he was stuck in Europe(sarcasm). One of the reasons reported on why he got caught now was because he got reckless and the following:

"Director Roman Polanski, sitting in a Swiss jail fighting extradition to California, brought the law down on himself by taunting prosecutors in court papers, it was reported Monday.

In paperwork filed as part of his bid to get 31-year-old rape charges dropped, Polanski's lawyers said the Los Angeles County district attorney's office wasn't really trying to hunt him down.

Bad move.

The Los Angeles Times reported that this claim "caught the eye" of prosecutors and prompted them to plot an end to Polanski's three decades as a fugitive."

And if he's a sick fuck, then what exactly is someone who is a serial rapist and pedophile? Just a sicker fuck? "Sick" implies to me someone with a chronic problem that needs attention. Polanksi may have been out of his mind and a "sick fuck" when this incident occurred, but he probably isn't now.

Do you have the ability to see degrees in anything?

Yes I do. I know there is murder and there is manslaughter. And there is statutory rape and I guess "rape-rape." Unfortunately he committed rape-rape and it was pedophilia to boot. He wasn't an accidental rapist. If she was 16 or 17 and she was playing herself off as a college kid, he may have some form of defense, unfortuantely for him, that wasn't the case and he was 40+ years old at the time and she was 13 years old. He took nude photos of her as well. He's a pedo! So I think sick fuck applies.

if the legal system were based on innuendo and hearsay, maybe.

Polanski pled guilty. Jacko did not, and he was never convicted of anything.

Unfortunately, the allegations against Jackson are not based on innuendo and hearsay. They are based on victims' testimony which was either withdrawn or altered because Jacko paid off his victims, pure and simple.

I accept that we can't exhume a dead man to retrial him in actuality, but in the court of the conscience, frankly, we should be able to.

:hmm:

Hold on.

Some here would suggest the photos be considered "art".

<>

can you substantiate that, or are you just going to throw that out there for the sake of associating "some people" with pedophilia?

i know you like to just spew shit for a reaction and i can't believe i'm lowering myself to replying to you, but i'm just curious.

and the victim herself (who was already having sex and taking drugs). No one here is without responsibility,

You're about 20 or so years behind even the stodgiest judges, who abandoned the notion that when woman is raped, we need to delve into just what a ho she was and how short her skirt was when she tempted that man's penis.

The fact that this 13-year-old girl may have been sexually active has NO BEARING on the fact that she was raped, after repeatedly saying no.

the girl had already experimented with drugs, alcohol, and rape.

I'm hoping this was a slip on your part, and you meant she had experimented with sex, not rape. If it's a slip it's a doozy. If it's not a slip... :ohmy:

I'm working on a longer response for the thread, but the bit I quoted just keeps bugging the hell out of me. I mean if it isn't a slip, I REALLY want to know just what the fuck lazarus meant by "experimented with rape".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom