I'm glad Roman Polanski finally got caught!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
He deserves to go to prison. Even IF you don't think he committed "rape-rape," the fact that he ran from his sentencing (big no-no) means he still deserves prison time. I'm surprised there are people in the media and Hollywood who are acting as his advocates.

With that said, I enjoyed Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby.

oh wow, he was finally caught? ahh, it looks like he left france who refused to extradite him. the details of this are a bit fuzzy, i think the prosecution offered him a deal but then he found out they were going to hang him out to dry. kind of shitty, but i think it was cowardly of him to flee to a country he knew wouldn't extradite him just so he wouldn't have gone to jail. he could've been done with his sentence ages ago and this could've been past him.

and agreed, chinatown and rosemary's baby are classics. one can wonder if any of this would've happened had his wife not been brutally murdered. but that's neither here nor there.

He's got talent a lot of Celebrity-artsy people like and those who chose to befriend Polanski simply turned their heads to whatever he allegedly committed and continued to support him. If he is indeed "caught" again, this proves that old adage, "What goes around, comes around."

At Jack Nicholson's house, no less.

Everyone can sleep soundly now that Roman Polanski has been caught! Not defending what he did in any way, but what a random time to nab the guy. Talk about a political move.

At Jack Nicholson's house, no less.

Everyone can sleep soundly now that Roman Polanski has been caught! Not defending what he did in any way, but what a random time to nab the guy. Talk about a political move.

That was my feeling - considering he had been back and forth to Switzerland numerous times - and apparently even owns a chalet in the Alps there - why now? Why just prior to him getting a lifetime achievement award from the Zurich Film Festival?

It seems so bizarre - but the end of the day he did have sex with an intoxicated 13 year old. You hear quite often here in Australia how guys (and gals) in their 60's and 70's are being charged and imprisoned for sex crimes committed back in the 1950's/1960's. Why should this be seen as such a big deal? He admitted to it, he bolted before suffering the consequences of his actions. Now he pays.

Random timing - but the old saying is true - he did the crime, now he does the time.

By saying that I doubt he'll get extradited - and if he does I'm guessing it wont be a huge sentence.

Definitely strange that something is happening with this now - I mean surely he must have left France to go gallavanting around Europe sometime in the past, yes?

But I'm appalled at the list of Hollywood types who signed that ridiculous petition to "set him free" or whatever.

Even if what they're protesting has nothing to do with him in particular and more about the politicized extradition, or the shoddy judge, or whatever, WHY would anyone want to do anything that might even appear to be supporting the mere idea that "oh hey, she was a mature 13 year old and it was the 70s, you know and jeez, it's not all that bad" ... I mean, fuck that shit.

Living in Europe, making movies and raising a family is not "doing your time." The guy drugged and raped a thirteen year old. Love his work? Fine. Want him to create more critically acclaimed films? Great! But jeez, Martin Scorsese, what the hell is up with signing a petition to help him keep living his grand life in Europe? Raising a family and going on with your life's work is hardly "doing the time."

Shit, I'm rambling. Dude drugged and raped a thirteen year old girl. Doesn't matter that she's moved on with her life and would rather just put it all behind her. Dude still drugged and raped a thirteen year old.

This should probably go into FYM before the debate gets nasty.

For the record, here's a longer list of people who signed that petition (note that many have daughters of their own):

Woody Allen, Pedro Almodovar, Martin Scorsese, Monica Bellucci, Tilda Swinton, David Lynch, Jonathan Demme, John Landis, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Wim Wenders, Pedro Almodovar, Asia Argento, Terry Gilliam, Wong Kar Wai, Darren Aronofsky, Michael Mann, Julian Schnabel, Tom Tykwer, Salman Rushdie, Milan Kundera, Pascal Bruckner, Neil Jordan, Isabelle Adjani, Arielle Dombasle, Isabelle Huppert, William Shawcross, Yamina Benguigui, Mike Nichols, Diane von Furstenberg, Claude Lanzmann and Paul Auster.

And this is part of what that petition actually says:

"By their extraterritorial nature, film festivals the world over have always permitted works to be shown and for filmmakers to present them freely and safely, even when certain States opposed this.

The arrest of Roman Polanski in a neutral country, where he assumed he could travel without hindrance, undermines this tradition: it opens the way for actions of which no-one can know the effects."

And reaction from the victim herself:

“I know there is a price to pay for running. But who wouldn’t think about running when facing a 50-year sentence from a judge who was clearly more interested in his own reputation than a fair judgment or even the well-being of the victim?

My attitude surprises many people. That’s because they didn’t go through it all; they don’t know everything that I know. People don’t understand that the judge went back on his word. They don’t know how unfairly we were all treated by the press. Talk about feeling violated! The media made that year a living hell, and I’ve been trying to put it behind me ever since.

Roman Polanski is a French citizen, a renown and international artist now facing extradition. This extradition, if it takes place, will be heavy in consequences and will take away his freedom."

This should probably go into FYM before the debate gets nasty.
good idea.

regarding the list of people who signed the petition...everyone's entitled to their own opinion i suppose. i disagree with it and think he should have to "pay" for his crimes, but that's just me. it is rather interesting though if he's travelled to and from switzerland before, why arrest him now?

i did know about the judge going back on his word, but i forgot how harsh of a sentence he was going to face. all i can say now is hopefully he'll have a fairer trial than before. i'd hope that the fact that the girl seems to have put this all past him will mean he won't go to prison for the rest of his life or anything.

They say there's two reasons why he got arrested there and now:
1. There is no limitation on rape in the US. But there is a limitation in European states. However, the agreement for extradition between Switzerland and the US has a clause that Switzerland would also arrest and extradite people for crimes that have expired in Switzerland. It was said that there were also plans to arrest him when he went to England but for some reason that didn't work out in the past.
2. They say that anytime Polanski travelled to Switzerland in the past it was without notice. So by the time prosecutors in the US found out about him visiting Switzerland it was too late already. But this time it was announced long ago and thus they could formally ask for him to be arrested by Swiss authorities.

He will probably now try everything to avoid the extradition but it was said chances were little. It is speculated that he might a four year sentence, or they even could negotiate a deal.

I can understand why he ran in the first place, but in the years that followed I don't see why he preferred "hiding" instead of getting it behind him. I've read he often requested the case be dropped, but apparently he wasn't willing to face any sentencing. And that a case hardly gets dropped when you have run for cover in another country shouldn't be that much of a surprise.

I am not sure why everyone in the media keeps quoting the complainant/victim. Whether or not he is prosecuted has nothing to do with what she wants or how she feels. It isn't her choice and it's not how the criminal justice system operates.

The celebrity petition is idiotic and frankly, sounds stupid. Switzerland is a "neutral" country - really? Neutral as to what?

People forget that this man was a fugitive for 30+ years. I don't believe that it's necessarily the best use of judicial resources to pursue this case now, but the fact that he was not caught or extradited earlier is more of a statement on the pathetic nature of the justice system than some sort of justification of why he should continue to be a fugitive.

Also, really, starting off that petition with Woody Allen's name on it kinda makes you :lol: in any case.

Yeah, the Woody Allen thing was pretty hilarious.

I don't quite get the "he finally is getting what he had coming" mentality, but whatever :shrug:

These Hollywood types are funny...Polanski's a victim, Michael Vick is evil. You wonder about priorities...

Yeah, I still have a major squick toward Woody Allen.

But I'm all for being able to separate the art from the person, so I can say that I love so-and-so's music, or so-and-so's films and still find them to be a deplorable human being.

Definitely strange that something is happening with this now - I mean surely he must have left France to go gallavanting around Europe sometime in the past, yes?

But I'm appalled at the list of Hollywood types who signed that ridiculous petition to "set him free" or whatever.

Even if what they're protesting has nothing to do with him in particular and more about the politicized extradition, or the shoddy judge, or whatever, WHY would anyone want to do anything that might even appear to be supporting the mere idea that "oh hey, she was a mature 13 year old and it was the 70s, you know and jeez, it's not all that bad" ... I mean, fuck that shit.

Living in Europe, making movies and raising a family is not "doing your time." The guy drugged and raped a thirteen year old. Love his work? Fine. Want him to create more critically acclaimed films? Great! But jeez, Martin Scorsese, what the hell is up with signing a petition to help him keep living his grand life in Europe? Raising a family and going on with your life's work is hardly "doing the time."

Shit, I'm rambling. Dude drugged and raped a thirteen year old girl. Doesn't matter that she's moved on with her life and would rather just put it all behind her. Dude still drugged and raped a thirteen year old.

perfect post.

<>

I am not sure why everyone in the media keeps quoting the complainant/victim. Whether or not he is prosecuted has nothing to do with what she wants or how she feels. It isn't her choice and it's not how the criminal justice system operates.

The celebrity petition is idiotic and frankly, sounds stupid. Switzerland is a "neutral" country - really? Neutral as to what?

People forget that this man was a fugitive for 30+ years. I don't believe that it's necessarily the best use of judicial resources to pursue this case now, but the fact that he was not caught or extradited earlier is more of a statement on the pathetic nature of the justice system than some sort of justification of why he should continue to be a fugitive.

Also, really, starting off that petition with Woody Allen's name on it kinda makes you :lol: in any case.

almost perfect post.

<>

Roman Polanski is a brilliant filmmaker who also raped a 13 year old girl.

is it more complex than that? absolutely.

but those are the facts, and it's hard to get around any of them.

Yeah, I still have a major squick toward Woody Allen.

But I'm all for being able to separate the art from the person, so I can say that I love so-and-so's music, or so-and-so's films and still find them to be a deplorable human being.

Exactly.

We live in such a celebrity-obsessed culture that it's hard for most people to separate that sort of thing. I know a girl who won't watch any movies with Brad Pitt because of the whole Angelina Jolie/Jennifer Aniston thing. She's missing out.

That's a minor example compared to the actions of these two guys, but still.

Said much more succinctly (and with less swearing!) than my post. :up:

The worst part is that he didnt even bother building a rape tunnel to blur the lines between right and wrong

Roman if you had only built the rape tunnel in your house first, then maybe you would have received more sympathy for your case.

1ahi0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom